Bridge City hires Andrew Daspit

3 hours ago, Eagles12 said:

Then fire him and non renew his contract and display all this information and write ups you have as cause. Stand on your beliefs and documentation and fire him for not doing his job, don’t hide behind a reassignment trying to make him quit. If he is so bad and written up so many times why. Is he still a district employee, you would think you would fire that person and make sure they are long gone.

It’s very difficult to fire an educator.  It’s not difficult to reassign them and put them in a situation where they’re likely to leave on their own.  I’m not sure of the legality of exposing an employee’s work records, but it seems likely it’s not allowed if nothing criminal took place.  

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

It’s very difficult to fire an educator.  It’s not difficult to reassign them and put them in a situation where they’re likely to leave on their own.  I’m not sure of the legality of exposing an employee’s work records, but it seems likely it’s not allowed if nothing criminal took place.  

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but why would they just not renew his contract for the 24/25 school year if he had multiple write-ups? I know teachers and paraprofessionals don't get their contract renewed if their performance is bad enough - are coaches' contract situations different?

1 hour ago, BEARCPA said:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but why would they just not renew his contract for the 24/25 school year if he had multiple write-ups? I know teachers and paraprofessionals don't get their contract renewed if their performance is bad enough - are coaches' contract situations different?

Year 1 in a new district you are in a probationary contract and can be let go for any reason. He has been there five or six years, so he can’t be non renewed without cause. 

12 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Just for the record, No one owes anyone else an explanation for why they made the decision they made. The admins in charge were hired to make decisions based on their best knowledge and for the success of the program. They are not required to explain, in detail to the community, why they did what they did. 

Not always the case…..especially at small schools 

As far as this situation I know nothing just enjoying the popcorn.

10 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Not always the case…..especially at small schools 

As far as this situation I know nothing just enjoying the popcorn.

These folks stake their careers on the performance of 16–18-year-old kids. If they're not making decisions for "the success of the program", they shouldn't be in those positions. 

37 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

These folks stake their careers on the performance of 16–18-year-old kids. If they're not making decisions for "the success of the program", they shouldn't be in those positions. 

Idk what wasn’t successful in this case. Most successful basketball coach at this school in a long time. 

48 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

I agree.  But people tend to waver especially admin if there is pressure from school board….and not all school boards are equal and and not all members are equal. Some members like to use their powers in the wrong way.  It happens a lot in small schools and it’s usually about sports.  

• 2 weeks later...

You will not find many better ADs at the high school level than Smalley.  I don’t know the particulars of the reassignment but my guess is Daspit will turn out to be an excellent hire, as almost all of Smalley’s hires are.  His track record on hires speaks for itself.   And the man truly supports and wants to win in all sports.  That is a fact if you know anything about him.  

14 hours ago, TxHoops said:

You will not find many better ADs at the high school level than Smalley.  I don’t know the particulars of the reassignment but my guess is Daspit will turn out to be an excellent hire, as almost all of Smalley’s hires are.  His track record on hires speaks for itself.   And the man truly supports and wants to win in all sports.  That is a fact if you know anything about him.  

So you get rid of the most successful coach in BC history that’s smart !!

15 hours ago, Excoach1970 said:

He was at BC when has BC ever been been good at b-ball till he got there?

I saw them several times and never thought that team was good.  They did well in an awful district, but what happened when they played the only quality team in Silsbee? 70 piece.  Then they lost to a 4 seed in the playoffs. 

I think Robertson is a good coach that does more with less.  A lot like Coach Mitchell at Lumberton.

6 minutes ago, 72 Pinto said:

I saw them several times and never thought that team was good.  They did well in an awful district, but what happened when they played the only quality team in Silsbee? 70 piece.  Then they lost to a 4 seed in the playoffs. 

I think Robertson is a good coach that does more with less.  A lot like Coach Mitchell at Lumberton.

Well Silsbee has way more talent, in awful district?? Jasper, wos, lcm, Silsbee, vidor had more talent than BC.. I thought this was his best coaching job he’s done at BC and there is a reason why he got coach of the year in the district. 

1 hour ago, Excoach1970 said:

Wos was pretty good, Lcm had 2nd most talented player in district and jasper had the 2nd best overall athlete in district .

All day. How did LCM miss the playoffs is beyond me. It dang sure wasn’t because of lack of talent. 

• Bobcat1 changed the title to Bridge City hires Andrew Daspit