It's a great day in SETX!

I would have voted for third candidate if I could have. This was the lowest nastiest campaign on both sides that I can ever recall. The amount of money pushed into each candidate wreaks on influential corruption. I think it’s disgusting that this is our political world.

I think Phelan screwed himself with his failed attack on Ken Paxton. I also think the voucher topic had an influence on some voters. 

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

I think it’s pretty well-known that I’m not a big trump fan, but I don’t think anyone on here would put me at near his level, and I’ve repeatedly stated I’ll vote for him in the election.  The point i was making is that trump has put considerable time and effort into trying to install folks that repeat his wildest claims, or push out people who have dared to question him, at the detriment of the Republican Party.   He’s done this at all levels, from national elections down to small district elections like the one we’re talking about.  It really screwed the party in the 2022 midterms, where he was frequently able to influence who the Republican Party nominee was, but then they lost the general election because they were lousy candidates.  The most obvious instances of this was when his tv doctor lost to a walking, talking potato, and when his football player with an IQ of about 74 lost to that crook Warnock, but there were several other instances that eventually cost the republicans the massive gains they should’ve seen throughout the country in the middle of Biden’s massive failure as president.  

+1 

I think it’s pretty well-known that I’m not a big trump fan, but I don’t think anyone on here would put me at near his level, and I’ve repeatedly stated I’ll vote for him in the election.  The point i was making is that trump has put considerable time and effort into trying to install folks that repeat his wildest claims, or push out people who have dared to question him, at the detriment of the Republican Party.   He’s done this at all levels, from national elections down to small district elections like the one we’re talking about.  It really screwed the party in the 2022 midterms, where he was frequently able to influence who the Republican Party nominee was, but then they lost the general election because they were lousy candidates.  The most obvious instances of this was when his tv doctor lost to a walking, talking potato, and when his football player with an IQ of about 74 lost to that crook Warnock, but there were several other instances that eventually cost the republicans the massive gains they should’ve seen throughout the country in the middle of Biden’s massive failure as president.  

This makes you a RINO according to the ones "in the know"...

Good post! And I couldn't agree more with majority of it

3 hours ago, bullets13 said:

The most obvious instances of this was when his tv doctor lost to a walking, talking potato, and when his football player with an IQ of about 74...

If you're speaking of Herschel Walker, you missed the mark. He may not be suited for politics, but he's a smart guy. I know him, and he is intelligent. Probably an overstep on your part.

2 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

If you're speaking of Herschel Walker, you missed the mark. He may not be suited for politics, but he's a smart guy. I know him, and he is intelligent. Probably an overstep on your part.

Okay.   I’ll edit my statement… he told many easily disproven lies during his campaign that made it appear that he had an IQ of about 74.  Perhaps this is a character flaw, or perhaps as you so gently stated, he’s maybe just not suited for politics.  Either way, he was a horrible candidate that Trump went all in on, losing to the very crooked and beatable Warnock. All that was needed was a decent republican candidate running against him.    

Okay.   I’ll edit my statement… he told many easily disproven lies during his campaign that made it appear that he had an IQ of about 74.  Perhaps this is a character flaw, or perhaps as you so gently stated, he’s maybe just not suited for politics.  Either way, he was a horrible candidate that Trump went all in on, losing to the very crooked and beatable Warnock. All that was needed was a decent republican candidate running against him.    

Fair enough. But honesty and IQ are pretty unrelated. Hell, it was good enough to get Biden voted into the presidency. And the lies come out of him on a weekly basis.

On 5/28/2024 at 5:49 PM, CardinalBacker said:

The locals have almost finished firing the first ever Speaker of the House from Southeast Texas upon direct order of Trump and his minions.  

It's a sad day... Locals have decided that being represented by the most powerful man in the House didn't mean anything.... they'd rather a political novice to represent this part of SETX.  And why is that?  He wasn't MAGA enough for them.  Who cares that it will hurt locally... What Trump says, goes.  

Just yesterday I saw Trump on television demanding that we fire Phelan... How he's a RINO, weak on the border, etc... why?  Because he wouldn't overlook the criminal actions done by Ken Paxton, one of Trump's key supporters in the effort to overturn the 2020 Election and allow Trump to remain in office despite the will of the voters.   Trump never even mentioned Covey's name, and I doubt he would recognize Covey if Covey walked up with a cup of coffee.  Who cares that it's bad for SETX?  Not the R voters from SETX!

Then I saw Covey's preacher on a different ad tell a bald face lie.  Why should Phelan be fired?  "He put Democrats in positions of power in the House."  Really?  That's been the position of BOTH parties for as long as anybody can remember.  They ALWAYS give the minority party committee chairmanships.  But in 2022 the Rs decided that the practice should stop.  Democrat voters should not be allowed a voice in the crafting of legislation if there is a single majority Republican seat in the House, according to the Rs.  Representative Government?  Never heard of it, huh?

Never did I believe that we'd have an abortion ban, constitutional carry, huge cuts for school property taxes, and Texas law enforcement being greenlit to enforce immigration law.  But it all happened while Phelan was speaker.  Without a doubt, the most conservative Speaker, ever.  But still a dirty RINO for not being MAGA enough.  It would be funny if it weren't true.

I've been following politics long enough to remember when Rs couldn't get elected in Texas... I'm confident that we're headed back that direction.  I mean, it's obvious that with population shifts we'll be turning blue eventually.  I think that the behavior of the leadership of the Republican Party is going to cause that shift sooner than expected.  I won't be surprised to see Democrat Senators and possibly even a governor elected within 12 years.  Maybe less.  The Rs will be a party apparatus without a voting base behind them.

It is one of the starkest examples of people voting against their own political and economic interests I have ever witnessed. To have the Speaker from your district is a big deal. That office is the most politically powerful one in the state, with the possible exception of the Lt. Governor. Excellent post.

On 5/29/2024 at 7:59 AM, SmashMouth said:

Goes down in flames? Considering it was a runoff election already that was feverishly close 'til the end with only a difference of 366 votes out of 25,260, I don't know if that is a fair description.

For a second  place primary finisher it is a better g deal. Odds were against him.

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

It is one of the starkest examples of people voting against their own political and economic interests I have ever witnessed. To have the Speaker from your district is a big deal. That office is the most politically powerful one in the state, with the possible exception of the Lt. Governor. Excellent post.

What are our political interests from this area ?

43 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

What are our political interests from this area ?

I’m not in his district. I would think more economic than social would be rational. He could steer economic projects towards his district easier than the back bench legislator, for instance. I’d rather have a job than a voucher were I still a young man. 

On 5/30/2024 at 10:18 AM, SmashMouth said:

Really?

On 6/1/2024 at 11:32 AM, 1970 said:

Interesting piece ... 

This is the hidden content, please

This individual briefly hit on the point I've brought up about 1,400 Dems voting for Phelan.  But, he said this was basically Covey's unfounded contention.  Apparently this writer didn't do his home work.  He should have talked to Michael Berry.  Didn't mention the fact that Karl Rove was responsible for these liberals voting for Phelan.  Of course the writer didn't know this because he didn't do his home work.  Not much journalistic curiosity anymore.  BTW -- my brother-in-law just told me his commie Democratic friend whispered to him that he voted for Phelan.  Again, this individual NEVER votes Republican.  

11 hours ago, Reagan said:

This individual briefly hit on the point I've brought up about 1,400 Dems voting for Phelan.  But, he said this was basically Covey's unfounded contention.  Apparently this writer didn't do his home work.  He should have talked to Michael Berry.  Didn't mention the fact that Karl Rove was responsible for these liberals voting for Phelan.  Of course the writer didn't know this because he didn't do his home work.  Not much journalistic curiosity anymore.  BTW -- my brother-in-law just told me his commie Democratic friend whispered to him that he voted for Phelan.  Again, this individual NEVER votes Republican.  

What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff:

"Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff.

Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but 

This is the hidden content, please
 by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries.

What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election.

"I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "