Warren High School is open

On 6/1/2024 at 10:41 PM, 5GallonBucket said:

Nor would it be the 1st time that a Warren school board member got butt hurt and misused power.

Warren is just a stepping stone for young and upcoming coaches/ADs.  They had a good guy in Buckner a few years ago who was wanting to stay and make it long term, but they got rid of him. 

Warren school board actually puts education ahead of sports. What are they thinking. A lot of the Warren kids will probably never get to play pro football.

2 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

Warren school board actually puts education ahead of sports. What are they thinking. A lot of the Warren kids will probably never get to play pro football.

This is the same for a vast majority of schools across the state… I agree athletics isn’t the be all end all… For Warrens case it’s more of they just don’t have the athletes to compete at a higher level and that’s ok and there is nothing wrong with that. Could they be more competitive with the right coaches? Yeah it’s possible. But someone answer me this… when is the the last time Warren made it to the 3rd round in Football, volleyball, Girls or boys basketball, baseball, or softball? 

27 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

This is the same for a vast majority of schools across the state… I agree athletics isn’t the be all end all… For Warrens case it’s more of they just don’t have the athletes to compete at a higher level and that’s ok and there is nothing wrong with that. Could they be more competitive with the right coaches? Yeah it’s possible. But someone answer me this… when is the the last time Warren made it to the 3rd round in Football, volleyball, Girls or boys basketball, baseball, or softball? 

Off the top of my head:

Football - late fifties 

V-Ball - 2010ish

Basketball - 2008ish (Leland Hand year)

Baseball - 2015 (knocked #1 Central Heights out in round 2)

Softball - 2011ish

58 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

Well said 

5 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

Which is what I want. 

I just don’t care for when school board members use or attempt to use said position to influence a coaches decision or get rid of good coaches because coaches don’t play certain players.

16 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Which is what I want. 

I just don’t care for when school board members use or attempt to use said position to influence a coaches decision or get rid of good coaches because coaches don’t play certain players.

Which board member in particular do you keep referencing about? 

18 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Which is what I want. 

You do not know that the school board did that. 

Let’s be honest. Warren is mostly know for Ag/FFA….which is more applicable to real life.

as far sports it’s not be all end all and that’s coming from a former college player as well as a coach for 15 years (I ended my coaching career due to missing time with my own kids) Sports are great and can teach valuable life lessons if the right people are doing the job.  But todays society (self centered and instant gratification) has changed many things about sports from lil league to the pros.

i have 5 kids.  Most who are descent athletes but I tend to lead them in more real life aspects of life….hunting, fishing, gardening, livestock.  

Warren has had some good men/coaches come thru. Schroeder being one of those (good man and coach) and is still there and I’m thankful for that.
But some have been let go because of “winning”

when character is sacrificed for “winning” count me out.

Give me a good man at the helm whose willing to stay awhile. If we win great if we don’t oh well.  It’s a small fraction of life for the young women and men who will eventually be in the workforce hopefully being a productive citizen not in the nba mlb nfl wnba  etc etc.  nor will many even get a athletic college scholarship.  

8 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Let’s be honest. Warren is mostly know for Ag/FFA….which is more applicable to real life.

as far sports it’s not be all end all and that’s coming from a former college player as well as a coach for 15 years (I ended my coaching career due to missing time with my own kids) Sports are great and can teach valuable life lessons if the right people are doing the job.  But todays society (self centered and instant gratification) has changed many things about sports from lil league to the pros.

i have 5 kids.  Most who are descent athletes but I tend to lead them in more real life aspects of life….hunting, fishing, gardening, livestock.  

Warren has had some good men/coaches come thru. Schroeder being one of those (good man and coach) and is still there and I’m thankful for that.
But some have been let go because of “winning”

when character is sacrificed for “winning” count me out.

Give me a good man at the helm whose willing to stay awhile. If we win great if we don’t oh well.  It’s a small fraction of life for the young women and men who will eventually be in the workforce hopefully being a productive citizen not in the nba mlb nfl wnba  etc etc.  nor will many even get a athletic college scholarship.  

No doubt Brad is a great man and has had a great impact on a lot of kids including my two sons who love him to death..Nobody is better than him.

2 hours ago, 88Warrior said:

You’ve been harping about a “meddling” board member for a while now…so now you don’t know? I can tell you the Warren Board is one of the most “hands-off/meddling boards in the area…

That was several years ago.
Before smithey took over.

i also didn’t care for that provocatively dressed supt they hired.  I know of many of good teachers that left during her tenure there.

Other than the two coaches I know of that were done wrong and the hiring of that particular supt. I don’t have any issues with the SB. 

i do believe they have a better supt now. And from what I hear teachers are happy or at least the ones my kids have are.

1 hour ago, Excoach1970 said:

No way they should let the Basketball coach be AD and a guy that has never called plays to lead a program to be a head football coach. They had some descent applicants that were proven. 

Like who?  Do you have any names of actual applicants? Asking because I have not seen a list of applicants. 

Almost every superintendent and school board across the Nation should have one like Warren ISD! Agree? They are trying to put academics ahead of athletics. I know almost all of them aren't getting an athletic scholarship and/or going pro but who cares about that? Of course, it's more important for a school to have a competitive athletic program that can compete and win not only on the athletic field/court but we need schools that can compete and win in the classroom as well!

1 hour ago, skipmeister said:

Almost every superintendent and school board across the Nation should have one like Warren ISD! Agree? They are trying to put academics ahead of athletics. I know almost all of them aren't getting an athletic scholarship and/or going pro but who cares about that? Of course, it's more important for a school to have a competitive athletic program that can compete and win not only on the athletic field/court but we need schools that can compete and win in the classroom as well!

2.6% play D-1 football.   

0.023% make it to the NFL.

99.97% need to make it in real life.