Coaches on the move

3 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

I didn't like the hire from the beginning, but you are correct. 100% the supt. choice.

May I ask why you didn’t like the hire? I mean he did pretty good with that he had his first year at buna 🤷🏽‍♂️

1 hour ago, Hawks18 said:

May I ask why you didn’t like the hire? I mean he did pretty good with that he had his first year at buna 🤷🏽‍♂️

That team underachieved. Had the returning offensive MVP of the District along with 2 other 1st team all-district players. Finished 4th. He had a more talented/experienced team than the previous year and the team got worse. The reason I didn't like the hire in the beginning was his 6-51 coaching record prior to getting the job. I know records aren't the only thing to judge a coach on, but 6-51 is absolutely horrific. 

6 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

That team underachieved. Had the returning offensive MVP of the District along with 2 other 1st team all-district players. Finished 4th. He had a more talented/experienced team than the previous year and the team got worse. The reason I didn't like the hire in the beginning was his 6-51 coaching record prior to getting the job. I know records aren't the only thing to judge a coach on, but 6-51 is absolutely horrific. 

6-51??  he hasn’t even been a head coach long enough at his previous school to play 57 games lol 

Where ever you got that info from is incorrect. I’ve been knowing KJ for a long time and he’s brilliant. Ever thought there was a reason why he was recommended to take this bigger job. Also, 23-12 record in the first year and being eliminated by the state runner up isn’t a bad season. Just say you don’t like him, but you can’t discredit this young man. Fantastic hire for Buna, but hate to see him go. You can ask any coach in this area, and they will tell you the same. 

17 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

The fact that you said he under achieved is crazy. He had one really good player. And a couple other descent players that wouldn’t have touched the court at most schools 😂 he did really well for that he had to work with in my opinion. 

On 6/13/2024 at 9:19 PM, CougarCrazy124 said:

6-51??  he hasn’t even been a head coach long enough at his previous school to play 57 games lol 

Where ever you got that info from is incorrect. I’ve been knowing KJ for a long time and he’s brilliant. Ever thought there was a reason why he was recommended to take this bigger job. Also, 23-12 record in the first year and being eliminated by the state runner up isn’t a bad season. Just say you don’t like him, but you can’t discredit this young man. Fantastic hire for Buna, but hate to see him go. You can ask any coach in this area, and they will tell you the same. 

It's easy to find. He was there for 2 seasons. The record is correct.

On 6/14/2024 at 8:01 AM, Hawks18 said:

The fact that you said he under achieved is crazy. He had one really good player. And a couple other descent players that wouldn’t have touched the court at most schools 😂 he did really well for that he had to work with in my opinion. 

That you're wrong about. Reese Sherman and Brynn Branch are both really good players. He most certainly under achieved. If you ever watched a game they ran no offense, just stood around and watched Brynn shoot 3's or Reese drive to the basket. Zero movement whatsoever. 

Brynn branch in average. Or as the youngsters would say “mid” she had her good games but definitely not what I would call “really good”. Reese Sherman is the only player that you can say would start on any other team in that district. And I stand by what I said, he did good with what he had. 

1 hour ago, Topdawg25 said:

from what i hear, he wasn't a fan favorite. 

but they do have a good team coming back. 

I’ve heard the same… was also told he was driving from the woodlands every day and wanted to be closer to home.

On 6/14/2024 at 8:01 AM, Hawks18 said:

Yeah that team making the playoffs was a feat.  They weren’t very talented but at least they were small 😉

22 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

It's easy to find. He was there for 2 seasons. The record is correct.

Incorrect, his first season he won 14 games. Same amount of wins Buna had the season prior to KJ getting there. Like I said, I know KJ personally and we talk almost daily. He thinks the whole 6-51 thing is comical.  

22 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

That you're wrong about. Reese Sherman and Brynn Branch are both really good players. He most certainly under achieved. If you ever watched a game they ran no offense, just stood around and watched Brynn shoot 3's or Reese drive to the basket. Zero movement whatsoever. 

Watching their games, I disagree. 😬with no size and having the ability to run 5-out and dribble drive offenses is high level. You just don’t win 23 games without offense. Anyways, like I mentioned before if you don’t like the young man just say that. His resume speaks for itself. Yall (assuming you’re from Buna since you know names and the supt) lost a good one. 

I bet this young man ears are burning with as much as talked about him this year lol. Can we just congratulate the guy on the opportunity to take over a great program at Liberty. Once again he went highly recommended from a lot of people. However it is kind of alarming how fast and easy Buna is losing coaches. It’s probably a race issue with him being a black man in Buna 😬 Have we ever thought about that? 

3 hours ago, CougarCrazy124 said:

I bet this young man ears are burning with as much as talked about him this year lol. Can we just congratulate the guy on the opportunity to take over a great program at Liberty. Once again he went highly recommended from a lot of people. However it is kind of alarming how fast and easy Buna is losing coaches. It’s probably a race issue with him being a black man in Buna 😬 Have we ever thought about that? 

I don’t think race was the issue. The other coaches and players loved him. Now the community idk 🤷🏽‍♂️. But people have to understand buna doesn’t pay well at all compared to most schools so good coaches get better opportunities. Same thing that happened with the volleyball coach 

59 minutes ago, Hawks18 said:

I don’t think race was the issue. The other coaches and players loved him. Now the community idk 🤷🏽‍♂️. But people have to understand buna doesn’t pay well at all compared to most schools so good coaches get better opportunities. Same thing that happened with the volleyball coach 

Most 3A and smaller schools are stepping stones for coaches - They come in do a great or decent job then move to more money.  There are every few "lifers" in smaller divisions.  

On 6/18/2024 at 6:38 AM, CougarCrazy124 said:

Watching their games, I disagree. 😬with no size and having the ability to run 5-out and dribble drive offenses is high level. You just don’t win 23 games without offense. Anyways, like I mentioned before if you don’t like the young man just say that. His resume speaks for itself. Yall (assuming you’re from Buna since you know names and the supt) lost a good one. 

I watched all the games too. If you think that offense was high level, it's not really worth discussing with you any longer. Everyone standing around watching one kid shoot 3's, and one other drive to the basket is just plain bad. 

1 hour ago, gogo173489 said:

I watched all the games too. If you think that offense was high level, it's not really worth discussing with you any longer. Everyone standing around watching one kid shoot 3's, and one other drive to the basket is just plain bad. 

I will admit my sample size is small.  But they played a team that, in my opinion, was 20-30 points better than them to 6 points at home and 11 on the road.  Buna had one girl who would have started for Orangefield and I’m not sure any others would have gotten much playing time.  And size-wise, it was a complete mismatch.  The equalizer was the coaching (and that wasn’t just my opinion).  

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I will admit my sample size is small.  But they played a team that, in my opinion, was 20-30 points better than them to 6 points at home and 11 on the road.  Buna had one girl who would have started for Orangefield and I’m not sure any others would have gotten much playing time.  And size-wise, it was a complete mismatch.  The equalizer was the coaching (and that wasn’t just my opinion).  

This I agree with!! KJ will never tell you this, but it was evident. Can we just give the guy credit for a job well done, instead of bashing him behind his back? No wonder we can't keep a coach in Buna (Girola and Whitmire are both at OF now). People expect the world from them but fail to acknowledge when they have something good going. I'm sure knowing this, KJ is glad he's gone. KJ is one of my very good friends and the dude is a high-level and high-class dude who is very good at what he does. Anyone would be lucky to have him, I hope we know what we lost with him leaving

3 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

It's not even about offense that made them good. They defended when it mattered. Was it perfect, no. But was it good, yes. Good luck finding someone who can help win more than 23 games after this season .. I've seen and heard what we have coming up. I hope we can fair well in our tough district.