QB Controversy Brewing in Crosby

And just for the record, there's a difference between running from competition and moving to another district because the one you are currently in has shown an unwillingness to build a championship program. Figured I'd clarify that before it came up. 

8 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

And just for the record, there's a difference between running from competition and moving to another district because the one you are currently in has shown an unwillingness to build a championship program. Figured I'd clarify that before it came up. 

Which district has "shown unwillingness to build a championship program"?

12 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

"4A-1 Reg III Dist 10" is unwilling to build a championship program? Who is the Superintendent/AD? 

Well, it's a district of 8 teams... Lumberton won the district with a perfect district record. I think LC-M, Vidor & Livingston were the next 3 that went to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

4A-1 Reg III Dist 10

That's a heck of a guess, and could apply to some there, but I wasn't taking direct shots. Just simply stating I understand moves for that particular reason. 

19 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Well, it's a district of 8 teams... Lumberton won the district with a perfect district record. I think LC-M, Vidor & Livingston were the next 3 that went to the playoffs.

So, Lumberton won a District "Championship"?

48 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

So, Lumberton won a District "Championship"?

Just because they are possibly in the worst 4A D1 district in Texas.

If your measure of a "Championship" program falls at the level of the district (and an extremely weak one at that) then we have much different expectations and definitions of what a Championship Program is.

53 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

If your measure of a "Championship" program falls at the level of the district (and an extremely weak one at that) then we have much different expectations and definitions of what a Championship Program is.

Is that a “yes”?

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Not to mention the misfortune of getting paired up with the three-headed monster that is Lindale, Kilgore, and Tyler Chapel Hill in District 9 for bi-district playoffs.

10 hours ago, 2wedge said:

I will never understand the mindset of a parent who thinks teaching their kid to run from competition is what is "best for the kid". Stay and fight it out, if you lose the position, find somewhere else to contribute and help the team. This soft azz mindset is what is wrong with the younger generation and it's not even the kids fault. I am old enough to remember when football was a game that taught life concepts and grew boys into men. Now, it's just like every other sport and treated like a meal ticket for parents, regardless of what the underlying consequences of those decisions may be. Everyone looks for quick returns on investment instead of working to prepare these kids for the tough breaks in life. Makes me sad. 

I will never understand why someone cares what decisions a family makes regarding their own child? Maybe Joe Burrow learns great life lessons from burning up all his eligibility sitting behind Justin Fields at Ohio State but I’m sure him and his family feel like they made the right decision by transferring to LSU, becoming the #1 pick and now being the highest paid QB in NFL history. Same for Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield and Jalen Hurts at their first stops. 

I think it was more beneficial for Reggie Branch to transfer to Crosby and end up having an opportunity to play for a state title versus staying at GCM and learning life lessons while he loses and probably doesn’t go D1 because his team is a perennial loser. If Robinson throws for 2k yards this year it’s going to be a lot better for his recruitment purposes than sitting on the bench at BH, not to mention he’s going to get significant looks because of the kids he’s on the team with and the offers/commitments they’ve already made. He’s not being taught to run from competition, he’s being taught to gamble on himself just like all those other guys I mentioned did. 

12 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I will never understand why someone cares what decisions a family makes regarding their own child? Maybe Joe Burrow learns great life lessons from burning up all his eligibility sitting behind Justin Fields at Ohio State but I’m sure him and his family feel like they made the right decision by transferring to LSU, becoming the #1 pick and now being the highest paid QB in NFL history. Same for Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield and Jalen Hurts at their first stops. 

I think it was more beneficial for Reggie Branch to transfer to Crosby and end up having an opportunity to play for a state title versus staying at GCM and learning life lessons while he loses and probably doesn’t go D1 because his team is a perennial loser. If Robinson throws for 2k yards this year it’s going to be a lot better for his recruitment purposes than sitting on the bench at BH, not to mention he’s going to get significant looks because of the kids he’s on the team with and the offers/commitments they’ve already made. He’s not being taught to run from competition, he’s being taught to gamble on himself just like all those other guys I mentioned did. 

You just made my point for me. When the goal is focused on the individual player, football loses its differentiator. When the kid is more worried about getting "D1 looks" than he is doing his part to help the team succeed, he sets himself up for failure in life. You mention Reggie Branch, and I'd agree, the move to Crosby was the best thing for him. Not because he couldn't get "D1 looks" at GCM, but because GCM has shown no willingness to build a successful program. Playing for Coach P was a game changer for Branch and ultimately landed him at UIW. He has since transferred to TAMUC, but that is a whole different conversation. In the case of Robinson, he is an incoming Sophomore in a BH program, with a top tier coaching staff, that is poised to become a perennial mainstay at the top of the state rankings, and he leaves to go back to Crosby? Crosby has crashed and burned when Willis arrived. They won 2 games last year and you were one of the main voices on here last fall shoveling dirt on Wills. Now all of the sudden Robinson will be flanked with D1 talent and might throw for 2K in an offense you complained about last year for being too run heavy? Man, please!! All the kid has been taught is to run from competition. Two years ago, it was because Jerry Jr. was there, and he was the coach's son, so Robinson had no chance to beat him out.....flee to BH. BH coaches and community rave about the Freshman last year and say he has a chance to start but they won't promise the kid the job in the SPRING OF HIS FRESHMAN YEAR.....flee back to 2-8 Crosby because Jerry Jr. is gone now. It's pretty pathetic. 

7 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

You just made my point for me. When the goal is focused on the individual player, football loses its differentiator. When the kid is more worried about getting "D1 looks" than he is doing his part to help the team succeed, he sets himself up for failure in life. You mention Reggie Branch, and I'd agree, the move to Crosby was the best thing for him. Not because he couldn't get "D1 looks" at GCM, but because GCM has shown no willingness to build a successful program. Playing for Coach P was a game changer for Branch and ultimately landed him at UIW. He has since transferred to TAMUC, but that is a whole different conversation. In the case of Robinson, he is an incoming Sophomore in a BH program, with a top tier coaching staff, that is poised to become a perennial mainstay at the top of the state rankings, and he leaves to go back to Crosby? Crosby has crashed and burned when Willis arrived. They won 2 games last year and you were one of the main voices on here last fall shoveling dirt on Wills. Now all of the sudden Robinson will be flanked with D1 talent and might throw for 2K in an offense you complained about last year for being too run heavy? Man, please!! All the kid has been taught is to run from competition. Two years ago, it was because Jerry Jr. was there, and he was the coach's son, so Robinson had no chance to beat him out.....flee to BH. BH coaches and community rave about the Freshman last year and say he has a chance to start but they won't promise the kid the job in the SPRING OF HIS FRESHMAN YEAR.....flee back to 2-8 Crosby because Jerry Jr. is gone now. It's pretty pathetic. 

High school and high school sports only exist for the benefit of kids. Parents are the sole authority for what is best for the kids. The kids will be out of school many more years than they were in school and the parent bears full responsibility for positioning their child for success in life. In the event that a parent perceives that a move is best for their child, the parent owes no one an explanation. Although it can be frustrating for the coaches and team impacted, it is an accepted paradigm of the industry.

4 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

High school and high school sports only exist for the benefit of kids. Parents are the sole authority for what is best for the kids. The kids will be out of school many more years than they were in school and the parent bears full responsibility for positioning their child for success in life. In the event that a parent perceives that a move is best for their child, the parent owes no one an explanation. Although it can be frustrating for the coaches and team impacted, it is an accepted paradigm of the industry.

I guess I cannot argue with that, but I just cannot understand the mindset. Like I said, there are plenty of good reasons to make a move in these situations, but the reason's stated for this particular move are baffling to me. 

55 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

I guess I cannot argue with that, but I just cannot understand the mindset. Like I said, there are plenty of good reasons to make a move in these situations, but the reason's stated for this particular move are baffling to me. 

It is definitely a struggle. However, the single greatest problem with schools today is "parents relinquishing their kid's education to the schools". As aggravating as it is, I can appreciate a parent who attempts to put their kid in the best situation (even though most of them are "ill-informed").

***Most parents are completely clueless on how their kids act at school and practice. 

On 6/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, Separation Scientist said:

Not too many kids want to go from a 9-3 team to a 2-8 team, but uh, yeah, whatever, we wish him all the best.  

On 6/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, Separation Scientist said:

Not too many kids want to go from a 9-3 team to a 2-8 team, but uh, yeah, whatever, we wish him all the best.  

BTW he wouldn’t have beaten out Jerry Jr. if he wasn’t the coaches son. 14.2 has even quoted on here many times what kind of JH QB Jerry Jr was.

That said both BH and Crosby have interesting QB situations.