Juneteenth!

Reagan

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

No wonder authoritarians don’t want history taught. 19th century Republicans were much closer to 20th Century Democrats. Today’s Republican Party is closer the 19th century’s Know Nothing party, and seems to be dooming itself to that party’s fate. To claim any credit for Lincoln’s then progressive ideas is ludicrous. 

HAPPY JUNETEENTH!!!

23 minutes ago, UT alum said:

No wonder authoritarians don’t want history taught. 19th century Republicans were much closer to 20th Century Democrats. Today’s Republican Party is closer the 19th century’s Know Nothing party, and seems to be dooming itself to that party’s fate. To claim any credit for Lincoln’s then progressive ideas is ludicrous. 

HAPPY JUNETEENTH!!!

You notice how they conveniently leave out Nixon's Southern Strategy switching the party platforms. 

35 minutes ago, wbfan said:

You notice how they conveniently leave out Nixon's Southern Strategy switching the party platforms. 

Probably don’t know what it is.  No. 1 comparison between Lincoln’s Republican Party and today’s Democratic Party:  Expansion of voters’ rights. Not restriction.

1 hour ago, Boyz N Da Hood said:

It's 2024 u can come out the closet and admit if your a racist! No skin off my back

Really not sure why you run on here and quote me in anything that has to do with blacks

My final conclusion is your a sick individual 

It’s called institutional racism, Hood. I have no clue as to your race, but I’m not going to sssume I do because of your handle on here.

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

HAPPY JUNETEENTH!!!

It’s always funny to me when present day republicans start talking about what 19th century republicans did, because you’re absolutely right.  Point it out and they get mad, though.  And I vote Republican 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Boyz N Da Hood said:

I'm proud African American 

You know what I just snapped to? Read that on the left side of Reagan’s post. Juneteenth ain’t about that. There were no remaining slaves. They just didn’t find out in Texas for dang near two years. On June 19th a Union ship arrived in Galveston informing the people still illegally enslaved that they had been declared free by the Emancipation proclamation. The Union Army didn’t free them that day. Lincoln had freed them two years before. See what I mean about not knowing history? It can be a dangerous thing.

Just now, UT alum said:

You know what I just snapped to? Read that on the left side of Reagan’s post. Juneteenth ain’t about that. There were no remaining slaves. They just didn’t find out in Texas for dang near two years. On June 19th a Union ship arrived in Galveston informing the people still illegally enslaved that they had been declared free by the Emancipation proclamation. The Union Army didn’t free them that day. Lincoln had freed them two years before. See what I mean about not knowing history? It can be a dangerous thing.

June 19, 1865.

I pulled into the bank drive-through to cash a check yesterday. Couldn’t figure out why they were closed. About an hour later I realized it was because of Juneteenth. Kind of ticked me off. I just wanted to cash a check. Hope that doesn’t make me racist.🤔

59 minutes ago, mat said:

I pulled into the bank drive-through to cash a check yesterday. Couldn’t figure out why they were closed. About an hour later I realized it was because of Juneteenth. Kind of ticked me off. I just wanted to cash a check. Hope that doesn’t make me racist.🤔

Don’t think that qualifies, Mat. You was just po’d because the bank was closed. Would’ve been the same if you had forgotten it was Presidents Day, right?

I don't consider myself to be a racist, although I think a little racism lives in all of us. I don't think the issue of racism will ever be resolved. At least not in the foreseeable future.  No one really wants it to be. Between the media and the politicians, our racial divide keeps them flourishing and in business. And we are fools enough to play their game and feed their fire.

41 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I don't consider myself to be a racist, although I think a little racism lives in all of us. I don't think the issue of racism will ever be resolved. At least not in the foreseeable future.  No one really wants it to be. Between the media and the politicians, our racial divide keeps them flourishing and in business. And we are fools enough to play their game and feed their fire.

You’re right on there, Smash. The only way it will be overcome is one heart at a time. That happens with one on one or small groups meeting to hear each other.  The media needs to keep the friction up to generate the money machine. I don’t look to them to solve anything. 

21 hours ago, UT alum said:

It’s called institutional racism, Hood. I have no clue as to your race, but I’m not going to sssume I do because of your handle on here.

Define "institutional racism."  

On 6/19/2024 at 10:27 PM, UT alum said:

You’re not completely right. The slaves in confederate states were only freed by the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863… the slaves in the Union states weren’t freed until the 13th Amendment was ratified. There weren’t many, but they existed. The proclamation didn’t apply to slave owning states that remained loyal to the Union.  Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, and Missouri. 

I’m all in favor of celebrating the end of Slavery… I just wish the actual history was taught. 

This is the hidden content, please

I read an interesting account by some former slaves here in Texas that got the news within days of the word arriving in Texas. 

They were all summoned to the “big house” and told about the slaves being freed. They were fed a big meal, then most opted to leave the plantation immediately. They set out on foot, with no money, no destination, and no food… they just knew they were free. 

How scary would that be?

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

You’re not completely right. The slaves in confederate states were only freed by the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863… the slaves in the Union states weren’t freed until the 13th Amendment was ratified. There weren’t many, but they existed. The proclamation didn’t apply to slave owning states that remained loyal to the Union.  Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, and Missouri. 

I’m all in favor of celebrating the end of Slavery… I just wish the actual history was taught. 

This is the hidden content, please

Thank you for that edification. 

39 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Thank you for that edification. 

Like I said… just the fact that it commemorates the date that news of the EP made it to Galveston is reason enough to celebrate. 

But “that’s the day that Lincoln freed the slaves” just isn’t factual. 

And if the war was really about the abolition of slavery, why weren’t the slaves in Union states freed until AFTER the Civil War was over?

The EP was largely a tactic used to encourage Southern slaves to flee and thereby cripple the Southern economy. 

Don’t get me wrong… slavery was (and is) wrong, and it WAS one of the key issues that led to the Civil War…. But it was far from the only reason, but definitely a big reason for the conflict. 

11 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Like I said… just the fact that it commemorates the date that news of the EP made it to Galveston is reason enough to celebrate. 

But “that’s the day that Lincoln freed the slaves” just isn’t factual. 

And if the war was really about the abolition of slavery, why weren’t the slaves in Union states freed until AFTER the Civil War was over?

The EP was largely a tactic used to encourage Southern slaves to flee and thereby cripple the Southern economy. 

Don’t get me wrong… slavery was (and is) wrong, and it WAS one of the key issues that led to the Civil War…. But it was far from the only reason, but definitely a big reason for the conflict. 

Yeah, it had slipped my mind that the Emancipation only applied to the states that were in rebellion. It gets so danged sticky sometimes. Semantically, “Lincoln freed the slaves” is pretty vague. Saying that he led the effort to Constitutionally eliminate it from our society is a more accurate way to state it. But it takes a lot more words.