Vehicle Inspections Will Be Done Away With!

Reagan

The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) reminds Texans of upcoming changes to the state’s 

This is the hidden content, please
 that will eliminate most vehicle safety inspections. 
, which was passed by the 88th Legislature and signed into law by Governor Greg Abbott in 2023, abolishes the Vehicle Safety Inspection Program for non-commercial vehicles.

6 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Mine expires this month so one last time.

Since the fees are the same it just saves 15 minutes but that’s a pain in the butt we won’t have to worry about.

What a brilliant move by the state. 

It's more than just 15 minutes... the inspectors always find something that MUST be repaired before it'll pass inspection.   If you decline the work, they still charge you for a failed inspection... you can return after you make the "needed" repairs and they'll sticker it for free, but where's the fun in that?

"You're gonna need some new wiper blades... that'll be 74.95.  That brings your total to $98.76 today."   Like I said... the farm truck could use a set of tires but "a few thousand more miles" actually means "a few more years" when you average 2500 miles per year, max.  I just don't want to lay down $1500 for a set of tires just to get my inspection so I can get my registration renewed for the few times a year I need to go to town for diesel or whatever. 

By my math, it would be cheaper to just risk it until January.  

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's more than just 15 minutes... the inspectors always find something that MUST be repaired before it'll pass inspection.   If you decline the work, they still charge you for a failed inspection... you can return after you make the "needed" repairs and they'll sticker it for free, but where's the fun in that?

"You're gonna need some new wiper blades... that'll be 74.95.  That brings your total to $98.76 today."   Like I said... the farm truck could use a set of tires but "a few thousand more miles" actually means "a few more years" when you average 2500 miles per year, max.  I just don't want to lay down $1500 for a set of tires just to get my inspection so I can get my registration renewed for the few times a year I need to go to town for diesel or whatever. 

By my math, it would be cheaper to just risk it until January.  

I have never had a vehicle inspection fail since I got my first car in 1974, using whatever inspection station I happen to be by when I notice it.

I must have missed the ALWAYS for 50 years and about 100 vehicles. 

Maybe keeping a car in better condition???

3 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I have never had a vehicle inspection fail since I got my first car in 1974, using whatever inspection station I happen to be by when I notice it.

You probably flashed your badge every single time. 

26 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

lol, I was thinking the same thing.

I might get my last one done tomorrow. Maybe have an inspection receipt burning party, kind of like a mortgage burning party.

I hope they don’t find anything wrong and change me a lot of extra money to fix it!! 🤣🤣🤣