JoeBama Formally Opposes Bill Requiring Voters Prove Citizenship!

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

So you have to take a birth certificate to the polls with your photo ID if you look like you might not be a citizen?  Sounds dumb to me. 

C’mon CB. You left out the actual requirements which are normal:

“(1) A form of identification issued consistent with the requirements of the REAL ID Act of 2005 that indicates the applicant is a citizen of the United States.

“(2) A valid United States passport.

“(3) The applicant's official United States military identification card, together with a United States military record of service showing that the applicant's place of birth was in the United States.

“(4) A valid government-issued photo identification card issued by a Federal, State or Tribal government showing that the applicant’s place of birth was in the United States.

The birth certificate is only required with some alternative ID not described above. It’s no big deal. As a matter of fact, no one should be put off by the ID requirement unless they have a hidden agenda. (I dare not say “like stealing an election”).

Note: The REAL ID Act is an Act of Congress that establishes requirements that driver licenses and identification cards issued by U.S. states and territories must satisfy to be accepted for accessing federal government facilities and nuclear power plants and for boarding airlineflights in the United States. Basically it’s a DL or other government issued ID. The same thing you would need to board an airplane or cash a check at a bank or open up a savings account or apply for a loan.

6 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

C’mon CB. You left out the actual requirements which are normal:

“(1) A form of identification issued consistent with the requirements of the REAL ID Act of 2005 that indicates the applicant is a citizen of the United States.

“(2) A valid United States passport.

“(3) The applicant's official United States military identification card, together with a United States military record of service showing that the applicant's place of birth was in the United States.

“(4) A valid government-issued photo identification card issued by a Federal, State or Tribal government showing that the applicant’s place of birth was in the United States.

The birth certificate is only required with some alternative ID not described above. It’s no big deal. As a matter of fact, no one should be put off by the ID requirement unless they have a hidden agenda. (I dare not say “like stealing an election”).

Note: The REAL ID Act is an Act of Congress that establishes requirements that driver licenses and identification cards issued by U.S. states and territories must satisfy to be accepted for accessing federal government facilities and nuclear power plants and for boarding airlineflights in the United States. Basically it’s a DL or other government issued ID. The same thing you would need to board an airplane or cash a check at a bank or open up a savings account or apply for a loan.

I have literally heard a politician (r) from central texas state that "not everybody needs to vote" in regards to black voters.  

25 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I have literally heard a politician (r) from central texas state that "not everybody needs to vote" in regards to black voters.  

What does that have to do with you being wrong on the simple requirements to register to vote?

It always cracks me up that you guys think voting is SO IMPORTANT and we don't discriminate against a particular group,  ........yet apparently you don't think that particular group is capable or responsible enough to get a photo ID.  

52 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

That has nothing to do with my post, nor does it have anything to do with the proposed ID requirement to vote.

You're a smart guy. You don't have any issues with the requirement either.

I want voter ID laws.  They make sense.  

But at the same time, there are a lot of people that want to make it harder for minorities to vote.  You only have to look as far back as Texas 3 years ago when the Rs in the legislature tried to eliminate the "polls to the pews" efforts that helped so many black people get to the polls. 

This is the hidden content, please

There are federal laws already in place that make it illegal for anyone who isn't a citizen to vote in federal elections.  They're basically wanting to pass a law that requires proof of citizenship when registering to vote.  My guess is that most of y'all would lose your mind if you turned up to vote in November and found out that you weren't registered because you never went back and re-applied with proof of citizenship (not just a drivers license).    My solution is that the Rs have EVERYBODY re-register.  Even if your in your early sixties and have proof that you've voted in every election since Carter was in office.  You still need to prove your citizenship when registering to vote.  That would fix the problem.  And all of y'all have time to spend a morning and $25 down at the Vital Statics office in the county in which you were born getting a fresh copy of your birth certificate, right? That's no hardship at all.  

The fact is this... if there actually were any fraudulent registrations, the people who accepted the application aren't going to suddenly stop because a new law states pretty much exactly what the law already states.  

The whole thing a charade to fire up the older white people.  If the Rs wanted to win elections, they'd try to lure actual registered voters to vote R, instead of nominating candidates that most people hate and then disqualify people who would vote against their Messiah.  And the Ds are using the same legislation to fire up their voters.  The fact is, there was no widespread fraud, and this legislation is just a big bunch of hot air. 

2 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

What does that have to do with you being wrong on the simple requirements to register to vote?

It always cracks me up that you guys think voting is SO IMPORTANT and we don't discriminate against a particular group,  ........yet apparently you don't think that particular group is capable or responsible enough to get a photo ID.  

Pretending that these requirements are aimed at anybody but minorities is lying to ones' self.  

8 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Pretending that these requirements are aimed at anybody but minorities is lying to ones' self.  

That is your wrong opinion. It is to protect the vote that the democrats play off as being important to them.

You sure don't give minorities much credit......I think anyone can get and SHOULD have a photo ID......

Just now, thetragichippy said:

That is your wrong opinion. It is to protect the vote that the democrats play off as being important to them.

You sure don't give minorities much credit......I think anyone can get and SHOULD have a photo ID......

I don't think you've read the bill, honestly.  I've attached a summary. 

It's not about producing ID when you go to vote (which I believe should be done).  It's about requiring people to show proof of identity along with a photo ID when registering to vote.

This is the hidden content, please

It also allows private citizens to sue election workers personally for failing to meet the requirements of the act.  Do you really think that there wouldn't have been THOUSANDS of frivolous suits filed by angry red-hatted fools after the 2020 election?  How would you like to find yourself, volunteering to be an election worker, then sued personally, with your life's fortune at stake if the attorney that you have to hire to represent you doesn't prevail at your trial?  All because somebody believes in fairy tales about "election fraud?"  What happens when all election workers quit volunteering because of the personal exposure to baseless litigation?  

I'll ask again... right now your voter ID card shows up in the mail like clockwork.  How would you like to have to go down and re-register between now and the early part of October, with a birth certificate AND your photo ID?  Are you prepared?  I wouldn't be.