Beaumont PD new Chief of Police search

I don’t know who has been following the selection process but it has been interesting.  The field was narrowed to four, with only one coming from the ranks of the department.  Washington State, Detroit, Michigan and Los Angeles County, California is where the other candidates hailed from.  A lot of money was paid to a “search committee” and the city manager recommended a gentleman from Detroit, Michigan.  Council voted that down, in a split 4-3 vote, leaving the search in limbo.  The Beaumont Police Officer’s Association (BPOA) put their support, as well as the last two chiefs (Singletary and Coffin) behind Deputy Chief Jason Plunkett.  It will be interesting going forth.  

A couple of questions:

1) Why the need to go “outside”?  A good department is one that raises and encourages those with leadership/management capabilities.  BPD routinely sends people to LEMIT/LCC (Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas / Leadership Command College, SPI (Southern Police Institute), and the FBI/NA (National Academy).  Each of these exposes leaders to current law enforcement trends and practices.

2) BPD needs a change - why?  The department serves the needs of the community, works to be involved in the community and is transparent during officer-involved  incidents.

3) Beaumont has a high crime rate, therefore we need a change.  BPD successfully works these scenes and has a higher than average clearance rate.  The department does it’s job, and is constantly working to address high crime areas and community concerns.

It is a slap in the face to every member of the department to look outside and promote the idea that a “fresh” perspective is needed.  The 260 sworn officers of BPD dedicate themselves to the safety of the citizens, whether that be emergency operations, routine patrol or specialized units (traffic, SWAT, etc).  Deputy Chief Plunkett is ready, capable and eager to lead the department into the future.  I know him and I trust him to lead my two sons and brother (who are members of the department).

I retired from BPD, and my father worked there.  I had a great-grandfather who was killed in the line of duty as a Beaumont officer in 1925.  I know the department and still work daily as a state officer assigned to a federal task force that works hand in hand with BPD.  I was raised in Beaumont and know how hard those guys work and care about the city of Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Chester86 said:

A couple of questions:

1) Why the need to go “outside”?  

Sometimes there is a definite need to go outside to change an agency’s culture and behavior.

Been there, done that.

It is also true that if there are no major problems within the agency, going outside is likely not the best option.

If BPD doesn’t have an internal issue with culture, going outside probably means that someone is looking to check boxes.

Look at some of the fiascos of larger cities in this country having issues with going outside to hire a new chief. 

Being retired, and having spent a large portion of my adult life there - had there been issues I would be more than happy to shout them out.  Every agency has fires that pop up, and every agency has room for improvement.  However, as a whole I really do believe that BPD is constantly self-evaluating and looking to improve.

1 hour ago, Chester86 said:

Being retired, and having spent a large portion of my adult life there - had there been issues I would be more than happy to shout them out.  Every agency has fires that pop up, and every agency has room for improvement.  However, as a whole I really do believe that BPD is constantly self-evaluating and looking to improve.

I have known Jimmy for over 30 years but never worked for him. I have worked dignitary security with him. I have never known him to be anything but a professional police officer but certainly working for him may not be the same.

Through my many contacts with BPD, I have never heard his name brought as a problem.

I also know that working with city council issues myself, their agendas and police goals are not always the same. About 20 years ago I was speaking with another sergeant about officers assigned per shift and complaining about poor response times due to staffing allocations per shift (I believe called a watch at BPD like 3rd watch). Not in hiring more officers but simply shifting manpower around. 

I learned a valuable lesson during that discussion. The other sergeant who was junior to me said something like, “You were looking at it as providing police service in a timely manner. The City Council is looking at it as an money issue”. He was correct. There was a chance that once or twice a week they might have to pay a couple of hours overtime due to a serious call coming in late in the shift. I was looking at it as providing a service to the citizens and they were looking at it as possibly costing $200 more per week out of a $21 million annual budget.

Our goals and their goals don’t always match. They will say that they do though. 

Here are some of the key points that I’ve seen or heard:

The African American city manager recommended an African American candidate, and the council voted against him 4-3, with the 4 white councilmen voting against him.  Concerns that he was chosen strictly due to race by the city manager, and also concerns that he was rejected for the same reason by the council could both hold merit.

the local white candidate has the support of the majority of the board, BPD’s previous two chiefs, and the endorsement of the Beaumont Police Officer Association.  They all make the reasonable argument that he knows how to deal with things like hurricanes, and knows the area, how BPD works, has the respect and support of the dept, etc.

His opponents say that fresh blood is needed, want to see minority representation considering Beaumont’sracial makeup, and also point to some accusations of racism with Plunkett (I have no clue as to their validity). Also valid arguments imo.  

concerns about a chief coming in from ultraliberal Vancouver, Washington are valid.  

The concern that nothing will change by giving the job to someone local when crime is a major issue is alsovalid.

all that having been said, there are a lot of reasonable takes from both sides of this thing, but it’s likely going to devolve into a major mess. 

there’s always room for improvement, but any time you make a major change there’s always the chance of things getting worse, sometimes much worse. 

I always try to look at other view-points when thinking about a decision.  BPD has several younger officers that are climbing the ranks, broadening their scholastic aptitude with advanced degrees and who happen to be black.  They are well respected in the department and I feel quite certain that major leadership roles will continue to open up for them.  One had a father who was a lieutenant and was well respected.  He is a bright star that shines brighter every year but he didn’t want to put his hat in right now.  I can understand that and respect his reasoning.  

A new chief, brought in from the outside, is usually tasked with moving a department to the far side of the pendulum swing.  The city knows the calls from within the department and unsatisfied community leaders will lead to a firing within 2-4 years and the city gets what they wanted out of the deal because policies and procedures will have been put in place that “move the needle” closer to what the city manager / mayor / council wanted in the first place.  They keep their hands clean and put all of the morale issues, policy changes and new mandates on the chief that is getting booted.  That is simply not needed because the department does a fantastic job in addressing  the needs of the city.

When a murder happens it is normally solved quickly.  When robberies occur, burglaries, assaultive offenses occur they are typically solved and solved quickly.   Guess what, there are several black detectives that contribute greatly to this success.  Patrols are increased, specialized units sent in to areas that need extra attention.  

Detroit, Washington State, Los Angeles - ultra liberal.  Have they ever worked 3-4 days of 24 hour shifts, and 1-3 weeks of mandatory 12 hour shifts after a hurricane lands?  BPD isn’t broken, let the department continue to grow and be successful partners with the citizens of Beaumont under the direction of a very capable leader/manager that knows the department and it’s personnel.

2 hours ago, Chester86 said:

Article says they will focus on a local candidate.  What that means we do not know.

This is the hidden content, please

It means, okay, I will take another look at your guy.

A month later he will come to the conclusion that, I gave the local candidate that extra look but he isn’t our guy. 

My hero Klein says that they’ll appoint an interim chief and then select the actual chief next year after the election in May-the thought being that a change in the board makeup will enable the DEI hire that the city manager and minority members of the council want to make. 

it’ll be interesting to see what happens. 

9 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

My hero Klein says that they’ll appoint an interim chief and then select the actual chief next year after the election in May-the thought being that a change in the board makeup will enable the DEI hire that the city manager and minority members of the council want to make. 

it’ll be interesting to see what happens. 

It doesn’t take Klein to figure that one out. 

On 7/13/2024 at 10:09 AM, Chester86 said:

A couple of questions:

1) Why the need to go “outside”?  A good department is one that raises and encourages those with leadership/management capabilities.  BPD routinely sends people to LEMIT/LCC (Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas / Leadership Command College, SPI (Southern Police Institute), and the FBI/NA (National Academy).  Each of these exposes leaders to current law enforcement trends and practices.

2) BPD needs a change - why?  The department serves the needs of the community, works to be involved in the community and is transparent during officer-involved  incidents.

3) Beaumont has a high crime rate, therefore we need a change.  BPD successfully works these scenes and has a higher than average clearance rate.  The department does it’s job, and is constantly working to address high crime areas and community concerns.

It is a slap in the face to every member of the department to look outside and promote the idea that a “fresh” perspective is needed.  The 260 sworn officers of BPD dedicate themselves to the safety of the citizens, whether that be emergency operations, routine patrol or specialized units (traffic, SWAT, etc).  Deputy Chief Plunkett is ready, capable and eager to lead the department into the future.  I know him and I trust him to lead my two sons and brother (who are members of the department).

I retired from BPD, and my father worked there.  I had a great-grandfather who was killed in the line of duty as a Beaumont officer in 1925.  I know the department and still work daily as a state officer assigned to a federal task force that works hand in hand with BPD.  I was raised in Beaumont and know how hard those guys work and care about the city of Beaumont.

Never knew Mr. B worked at BPD! 

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Supposed to announce another chief candidate before the next city council meeting.  Anybody wanna guess who that might be?

What is going on behind the scenes? Have the four who voted against the manager’s selection, going to stand firm even up to the point of firing the manager?

What have they conveyed, if anything, about the desire to stay local? Maybe even have suggested that any selection other than local will be defeated?

So it will come down to the manager going with the local candidate or doubling down and going outside. If outside, potentially in likelihood of order:

1. Kira Joy Hope. Deputy chief in Detroit so experience in a high crime city. Seems to have varied experiences (although at 25 years that should be expected).  I actually thought that she would be the pick looking at her resumé. One strike either for or against her is a comment that she made, “I’m out with activists”. What does that mean? I listen to all sides or I side with certain groups or protesters? 

2. Britta Steinbrenner. The way the news describes it, she “served” as a 35 year officer, supervisor and commander up to the rank of captain at LA County Sheriff’s Department. That sounds like she is retired and looking for a retirement gig to get out of California.

Between the two and only going by the media accounts, I would think Hope. She is still young in her career at 25 years. I am guessing that most police in command positions shoot towards 35-40 years to get out. Steinbrenner is at that level now but certainly 40-45 years is within reason.

I would have loved to sit in on interviews (although I don’t have a dog in the hunt since I don’t live in Beaumont) and be able to ask questions.

Hope seems like she is in more of a position to intend to stay around for maybe 15 years. That makes it appear that she is more interested in a career than simply a retirement job.

Having worked for chiefs in similar positions, appearances can be deceiving however. The one that may seem more to be looking for a retirement job might come in and be awesome and the one that seems to be furthering her career of might turn out to be terrible. I’ve seen both sides of that coin. You really can’t tell until the person takes over and installs his/her own system. 

I have worked for 6 chiefs and maybe 3 interim or acting chiefs in over 37 years. I have been from a graveyard shift patrol officer to a shift commander and have seen much of the inner workings. There is almost no way to read resumes and be really sure how a chief will actually perform.

With all of that, my vote (not preference) is on Kira Joy Hope. 

14 hours ago, tvc184 said:

What is going on behind the scenes? Have the four who voted against the manager’s selection, going to stand firm even up to the point of firing the manager?

What have they conveyed, if anything, about the desire to stay local? Maybe even have suggested that any selection other than local will be defeated?

So it will come down to the manager going with the local candidate or doubling down and going outside. If outside, potentially in likelihood of order:

1. Kira Joy Hope. Deputy chief in Detroit so experience in a high crime city. Seems to have varied experiences (although at 25 years that should be expected).  I actually thought that she would be the pick looking at her resumé. One strike either for or against her is a comment that she made, “I’m out with activists”. What does that mean? I listen to all sides or I side with certain groups or protesters? 

2. Britta Steinbrenner. The way the news describes it, she “served” as a 35 year officer, supervisor and commander up to the rank of captain at LA County Sheriff’s Department. That sounds like she is retired and looking for a retirement gig to get out of California.

Between the two and only going by the media accounts, I would think Hope. She is still young in her career at 25 years. I am guessing that most police in command positions shoot towards 35-40 years to get out. Steinbrenner is at that level now but certainly 40-45 years is within reason.

I would have loved to sit in on interviews (although I don’t have a dog in the hunt since I don’t live in Beaumont) and be able to ask questions.

Hope seems like she is in more of a position to intend to stay around for maybe 15 years. That makes it appear that she is more interested in a career than simply a retirement job.

Having worked for chiefs in similar positions, appearances can be deceiving however. The one that may seem more to be looking for a retirement job might come in and be awesome and the one that seems to be furthering her career of might turn out to be terrible. I’ve seen both sides of that coin. You really can’t tell until the person takes over and installs his/her own system. 

I have worked for 6 chiefs and maybe 3 interim or acting chiefs in over 37 years. I have been from a graveyard shift patrol officer to a shift commander and have seen much of the inner workings. There is almost no way to read resumes and be really sure how a chief will actually perform.

With all of that, my vote (not preference) is on Kira Joy Hope. 

I’ll be watching. 

From Klein's website:  

"Well, surprise kids, Kenneth Williams, the city manager of Beaumont, got his feet held to the fire, and just like that he did a 360 after learning there was a movement to remove him from his seat. 

All over?

Well, the Beaumont Police Department chief’s job. And that was enough to send tongues wagging over at the police station as Williams is said to be putting up the local candidate which will swing the vote to 4-3 in favor of the “local candidate.” And if it goes like we are told, Jason Plunkett will be the new police chief of Beaumont, Texas, on August 1, 2024."

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

From Klein's website:  

"Well, surprise kids, Kenneth Williams, the city manager of Beaumont, got his feet held to the fire, and just like that he did a 360 after learning there was a movement to remove him from his seat. 

All over?

Well, the Beaumont Police Department chief’s job. And that was enough to send tongues wagging over at the police station as Williams is said to be putting up the local candidate which will swing the vote to 4-3 in favor of the “local candidate.” And if it goes like we are told, Jason Plunkett will be the new police chief of Beaumont, Texas, on August 1, 2024."

That’s why I asked in my first paragraph, are the four votes going to stand firm to the point of firing the manager.

A city manager’s job is only as secure as the next council meeting with a simple majority of votes.

Most cities in our area have a city charter (basically a constitution) where the city manager approves all jobs except those such as city attorney, city judge, city secretary, etc. Those are hired and fired by the council. All other people are hired by the city manager.

As soon as a simple majority of the city council doesn’t want one of the council hired persons, they can be terminated by a majority vote.