Beaumont PD new Chief of Police search

If (and I say if) they hire someone from outside the final 4 applicants, that is local:

1) How much money was wasted on hiring a recruiting firm to run this process?

2) Does that not open up litigation from the remaining local candidate?

I will wait to see what happens, but this process has ran smoothly for years.  There are always 3-5 people at a minimum who have worked their career to excel at leadership and management and that position themselves for a run at the chief’s spot.  It has been successful with great chiefs who served the community well.  Why deviate from success?  Why the sudden need to change all of that?

I will gladly say just I am a little shocked that the manager reached down the ranks and chose Tim.

I have only had brief contact with him at schools and such. He seemed like a good guy but meeting people away from work is hardly a good indicator of success. Hopefully my little interactions with him are an indicator of his abilities. 

Congratulations to Chief Ocnaschek.  I know he will do a great job of maintaining the standard of excellence and even push it further.  He is a fellow USAF veteran, and is a very intelligent person.  I am very happy they kept it in-house, as I know that BPD does a great job of growing great leaders and managers.  Any of the BPD candidates would have been a great hire.  

6 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So the local who made the four finalists and is assistant chief gets passed over?

What's up with that?

Why didn't this captain make finalists?

According to 12NewsNow he was #5, and just outside the final 4.  They are saying that Plunkett was passed over due to an old law suit.  Now, that law suit had no merit, but that (according to the article) was the reason he was passed over.    I believe Plunkett would have done a great job, but if this is the compromise that makes all sectors of council and the community happy, then this is the best case scenario for all.  I don’t look for there to be too many changes to the upper administration.  Tim Ocnaschek will do a fantastic job.

4 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So the local who made the four finalists and is assistant chief gets passed over?

What's up with that?

Why didn't this captain make finalists?

I concur with Chester about the back room scuttlebutt.

The one thing about local candidates is that the powers that make a selection know or “have heard” about the person. That is where personal animosities or favoritism come into play. I have seen it up close and personal in a chief’s selection. 

Particularly when an outside company or assessment center is brought in, they don’t know anything about the candidate’s history except what is put before them in the process or in other words, don’t come in with prejudice or preconceived opinions.

That is generally the point. Let’s look at qualifications, work history, personal history or involvement such as in the community, ability to answer critical questions, knowledge, etc. and not who likes or hates the candidate. 

So with no knowledge whatsoever about this particular process for BPD, there was a chance that Plunkett would have never been chosen, perhaps as Chester said, because of a previous lawsuit.

Assessing by qualifications, Plunkett was in the top four. Then the politics come into play (my opinion). It’s like, “Sure he had the skills, vision and demeanor to lead but what about…..”.

Again, with no knowledge of this selection, I have been fairly close to the same situation (not me and I would never apply to be in that position) and knew that a local candidate who was in the final four, no matter how qualified, was never going to be the chief. He is a close friend and I didn’t mention it to him until a couple of years later as to why he wasn’t chosen. I will vouch for the fact that the claims against him were ludicrous. That made no difference. He was never going to be the chief.