Trump Assassination Attempt!

Reagan

22 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

But what if the shooter turns out to just be a lunatic of a gun nut?  Nobody's "vitriolic hatred" caused it, in that case.  And FWIW, that's kinda what it's starting to look like.  It's not going to keep anybody on the right from blaming the left, though.

And for what's it's worth, y'all didn't have a problem with "vitriolic hatred" when it came in the form of mean tweets.  You (Smashmouth) have repeatedly defended Trump's rhetoric in the past... but you don't like it when the left does it back.  Which group chants "FJB" at their rallies?  Which group popularized "Let's Go Brandon?"  Then to turn around and cry about "vitriolic hatred" from the left being the problem is just laughable.   

Trump disputed the results of the election, then tried to use every legal and illegal means that can be imagined to stop the peaceful transfer of power in 2020... up to and including attacking the capitol and branding the VP a traitor....but then y'all bristle when Trump is called "a threat to democracy?"  

The fact that no one on the right realizes that they've been at least an equal partner, if not the actual instigators of the escalation in "vitriolic hatred" is baffling, and shows how dumb "our" side can be.  

CB, I think you hear what you want to hear.

First of all, what spewing of hatred have I ever defended? I'd like to see it. And don't give me examples of silly name-calling, because that won't fly. "Let's Go Brandon" was started by a news reporter and picked up by the right to make fun of the whole thing. AND... it's freakin hilarious! And when Trump dubbed Elizabeth Warren "Pocahantas", that was the funniest crap in the world. For the record, it doesn't bother me if someone calls Trump "Orange Man" either. While it's not near very clever, it's harmless. If you classify that as vitriolic hatred, then you're a much less hardy person than I give you credit for. And as I said in the post you just quoted, "I said Trump's (attempted) assassin was spurred on by left vitriolic hatred. Had Biden been shot, I may have said the same about his shooter." So try again. The vitriolic hatred comes from both sides. It just so happens that Trump got shot at and Trump supporters died or were injured because of it.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

What did you think of the protection detail that hustled him to the limo?

If I'm being honest, they didn't seem too impressive. Just because Trump wants to put on his shoes and fist pump doesn't mean they should've left him standing with his big ole head exposed. Trump loves him some Trump, but that could've gotten himself killed. They have to protect him in spite of himself. Not a very clean exit imo.

27 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

CB, I think you hear what you want to hear.

First of all, what spewing of hatred have I ever defended? I'd like to see it. And don't give me examples of silly name-calling, because that won't fly. "Let's Go Brandon" was started by a news reporter and picked up by the right to make fun of the whole thing. AND... it's freakin hilarious! And when Trump dubbed Elizabeth Warren "Pocahantas", that was the funniest crap in the world. For the record, it doesn't bother me if someone calls Trump "Orange Man" either. While it's not near very clever, it's harmless. If you classify that as vitriolic hatred, then you're a much less hardy person than I give you credit for. And as I said in the post you just quoted, "I said Trump's (attempted) assassin was spurred on by left vitriolic hatred. Had Biden been shot, I may have said the same about his shooter." So try again. The vitriolic hatred comes from both sides. It just so happens that Trump got shot at and Trump supporters died or were injured because of it.

Well, next time let’s nominate an even bigger loudmouth and I’m sure things will get better. 

39 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

If I'm being honest, they didn't seem too impressive. Just because Trump wants to put on his shoes and fist pump doesn't mean they should've left him standing with his big ole head exposed. Trump loves him some Trump, but that could've gotten himself killed. They have to protect him in spite of himself. Not a very clean exit imo.

I loved it, though.  That’s two episodes this election cycle that we’ll be talking about for decades. Iconic moment and some great photos-even if I can’t stand the guy. 

What’s bananas to me is that the debate didn’t move the needle on polling-I wonder if this will. We’re all so set on “our team.”

7 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Well, next time let’s nominate an even bigger loudmouth and I’m sure things will get better. 

I like Trump. But I said many times and long ago, I wish he could learn how to not be his own worst enemy (namely with his mouth). I even expressed that perhaps a different candidate might be better for electability (not necessarily running the show, just might be easier for some with less fortitude to swallow). Hopefully he'll be elected in less than 4 months from now, and none of the soft-hearted folks will have their feelings hurt ( ...hope you don't think the term "soft-hearted was too vitriolic).

4 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I loved it, though.  That’s two episodes this election cycle that we’ll be talking about for decades. Iconic moment and some great photos-even if I can’t stand the guy.

I did too. More than I can express. I was freakin FIRED UP! I was just referring to the job the SS did getting him out of there. Pretty poor from the safety perspective.

16 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I did too. More than I can express. I was freakin FIRED UP! I was just referring to the job the SS did getting him out of there. Pretty poor from the safety perspective.

Yeah… there were four skirts guarding the wagon on the way out. One was trying to get her shades back on, the other was doing her “Shakiest Gun in the West” routine trying to re-holster her sidearm, and they all looked…. Not scary at all. 

I think we should do better. If the shooter had any skill or proficiency, we’d be singing a different tune today. 

20 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I guess that’s the problem I have with Trump. We all love a fighter-it’s in our culture. 

Dude just doesn’t know how to turn it off. He fights with EVERYBODY, and at the end of the day it’s a net negative. Foreigners, the media, democrats, republicans, his own employees.  He literally fights with everybody, and that makes him useless. 

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

My understanding  is that she was a corporate hire, but had previously been in the secret service agency. At least that’s what the talking heads were saying.  

What did you think of the protection detail that hustled him to the limo?

If she was a former special agent in charge at the SS and left to go into private business, I can understand the appointment. She might not have been the best candidate and a DEI hire but that is totally different than hiring someone who has no law enforcement experience and has not worked for anyone except corporations.

As far as the on scene agents (assuming they were actually SS), they did okay. I actually thought that they were a little slow to react but that could just be the appearance from the video. A different angle might show a better response.

It was interesting to see them put their fists up when surrounding Trump to cover gaps in their coverage around him. They seemed to respond to training (which we should expect) on dignitary protection.

I haven’t seen enough good video on the actual transitioning him off the stage and into the van. I surely don’t knot their protocol.

From the videos now being shown of the shooter on the roof crawling around (assuming they are real), the response was unacceptable. I think that I saw a video last night right before I fell asleep that the FBI confirmed that a police officer confronted the shooter on the roof. The shooter pointed the rifle at the officer and he backed down and the officer went the other side of the roof.

Again without video to see exactly what happened and what kind of time frames, we really can’t say but it looks like another potential failure. Ducking for cover facing a rifle is certainly appropriate but did the officer try to re-engage? Did he call for help and make notifications on radio that there was a likelihood of an assassination attempt in progress? It could all have happened within a couple of seconds but without the correct information, it leaves another potential huge mistake.

The bottom line of that there is so much that is not known and almost certainly some of the reports are false or taken out of context. I doubt that we will ever know the complete story but there sure seemed to be some huge gaps in protection and the response to the shooter.

If we have seen the videos of the shooter crawling around in the roof as taken by people on the ground with cell phones…..

If those are true… 😳😳😳

26 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

As far as the on scene agents (assuming they were actually SS), they did okay.

The ones on the podium were SS. I hope hope when protecting someone like DJT, we could do better than okay. It's easy to armchair quarterback, and I've never been a SS agent, but I really thought it was lacking urgency at the very least. Plus, put the tallest biggest bastards between the target and the shooter. And don't give the target the time to put on his shoes and address the audience. Although I did love it.

35 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

If she was a former special agent in charge at the SS and left to go into private business, I can understand the appointment. She might not have been the best candidate and a DEI hire but that is totally different than hiring someone who has no law enforcement experience and has not worked for anyone except corporations.

As far as the on scene agents (assuming they were actually SS), they did okay. I actually thought that they were a little slow to react but that could just be the appearance from the video. A different angle might show a better response.

It was interesting to see them put their fists up when surrounding Trump to cover gaps in their coverage around him. They seemed to respond to training (which we should expect) on dignitary protection.

I haven’t seen enough good video on the actual transitioning him off the stage and into the van. I surely don’t knot their protocol.

From the videos now being shown of the shooter on the roof crawling around (assuming they are real), the response was unacceptable. I think that I saw a video last night right before I fell asleep that the FBI confirmed that a police officer confronted the shooter on the roof. The shooter pointed the rifle at the officer and he backed down and the officer went the other side of the roof.

Again without video to see exactly what happened and what kind of time frames, we really can’t say but it looks like another potential failure. Ducking for cover facing a rifle is certainly appropriate but did the officer try to re-engage? Did he call for help and make notifications on radio that there was a likelihood of an assassination attempt in progress? It could all have happened within a couple of seconds but without the correct information, it leaves another potential huge mistake.

The bottom line of that there is so much that is not known and almost certainly some of the reports are false or taken out of context. I doubt that we will ever know the complete story but there sure seemed to be some huge gaps in protection and the response to the shooter.

If we have seen the videos of the shooter crawling around in the roof as taken by people on the ground with cell phones…..

If those are true… 😳😳😳

From CNN

"Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas called the security a "failure" at former President Donald Trump's rally where he was nearly assassinated in Butler, Pennsylvania. Mayorkas says officials are conducting a full review of the situation."

17 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Meh… any trained sniper would have taken center mass. I don’t think God decided to spare Trump and take that bystander instead. The kid missed. 

And I’m grateful that he did. 

I agree

2 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

From CNN

"Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas called the security a "failure" at former President Donald Trump's rally where he was nearly assassinated in Butler, Pennsylvania. Mayorkas says officials are conducting a full review of the situation."

If a person gets off a shot at his intended target, it’s a failure.

Each part of a team has responsibilities independent of the others. Parts of the team could have been perfect yet the team as a whole screwed up.

To let a guy get on the roof within a football field and in open view is a failure, period. Was it the responsibility of the agents right next to Trump? Was their part of the protection to scan the horizon or to look for people up close who might pull a weapon or directly attack Trump?

It was a horrific breakdown in security. Was it the fault of the agents up close? Probably not. By the time that they heard the shot, the bullet moving 4 times the speed of sound had already passed.