What does your team return for the 2024 season?

Season starts in less than one month. I watched some spring and summer league games and saw some solid teams. I'm optimistic about my Lady Bears. They are still young but they played well together in the summer league and got 2nd place (behind BC). Our middle will give people some trouble and we have a group of girls in the back row that refuse to let a ball touch the floor.

BC looks like a good group, as always. Missing their district MVP middle. Vidor may be even younger than LCM but I don't know many of them, so looking forward to hearing from a fan about that team. PNG and Nederland have improved from what I saw compared to last summer and looked great at spring league. 

Who do you have returning?

On 7/20/2024 at 11:31 AM, MamaBear2001 said:

Season starts in less than one month. I watched some spring and summer league games and saw some solid teams. I'm optimistic about my Lady Bears. They are still young but they played well together in the summer league and got 2nd place (behind BC). Our middle will give people some trouble and we have a group of girls in the back row that refuse to let a ball touch the floor.

BC looks like a good group, as always. Missing their district MVP middle. Vidor may be even younger than LCM but I don't know many of them, so looking forward to hearing from a fan about that team. PNG and Nederland have improved from what I saw compared to last summer and looked great at spring league. 

Always enjoy hearing about the 4A teams from that area.. Bellville is back in region 3 and should be a region favorite. They return 4 starters and several from the bench from last years team. Looking forward to the upcoming season 

On 7/20/2024 at 11:31 AM, MamaBear2001 said:

Nederland and PNG finished behind BC and LCM in Summer league?

3 hours ago, vbdiva said:

I don't think they were in the same summer league. LCM hosts their own summer league, and BC/OF/HF/Vidor/Deweyville and many others were part of it. I never saw PNG or Nederland at LCM summer league. I watched them in the Xcel spring league that PNG hosted. Not sure which summer league PNG and Nederland participated in. 

On 7/22/2024 at 4:05 PM, MamaBear2001 said:

I don't think they were in the same summer league. LCM hosts their own summer league, and BC/OF/HF/Vidor/Deweyville and many others were part of it. I never saw PNG or Nederland at LCM summer league. I watched them in the Xcel spring league that PNG hosted. Not sure which summer league PNG and Nederland participated in. 

Was curious how PNG and Nederland looked this year to see if they are going to be able to give BH some competition this year 

2 hours ago, vbdiva said:

What makes you say that? 

I hope the best for the local area teams back home where I’m from, but unless there was a drastic change I don’t see it happening with the level of talent at those schools compared to Barbers Hill… The golden triangle as a a whole just doesn’t produce quality volleyball teams anymore…. With a few exceptions… Bridge City was pretty decent last year making it to the third round I believe? But other than that you can probably count on one hand the number of…. Let’s say SETXSPORTS coverage area teams that have made at least the third round of the playoffs not named Hardin in the last 10-15 years. And above 4A it’s basically non existent . IDK necessarily what it is… probably a combination of coaching, talent, and club level play. You get out of the area and you have entire programs vested in club ball in the off seasons not just the varsity players (And im not talking about just summer leagues with local high schools ). 

I am pretty excited for Nederland volleyball this year with my girl being a senior.  We should do well this year.  We lost 3 from last year but return a good group.  We play in two pretty big tournaments this year that won’t make our record look good but hopefully will make them mentally and physically ready to go for the season.   

23 hours ago, NedPA said:

I am pretty excited for Nederland volleyball this year with my girl being a senior.  We should do well this year.  We lost 3 from last year but return a good group.  We play in two pretty big tournaments this year that won’t make our record look good but hopefully will make them mentally and physically ready to go for the season.   

What tournaments are they playing in?

On 7/26/2024 at 9:47 AM, BBfan061 said:

I hope the best for the local area teams back home where I’m from, but unless there was a drastic change I don’t see it happening with the level of talent at those schools compared to Barbers Hill… The golden triangle as a a whole just doesn’t produce quality volleyball teams anymore…. With a few exceptions… Bridge City was pretty decent last year making it to the third round I believe? But other than that you can probably count on one hand the number of…. Let’s say SETXSPORTS coverage area teams that have made at least the third round of the playoffs not named Hardin in the last 10-15 years. And above 4A it’s basically non existent . IDK necessarily what it is… probably a combination of coaching, talent, and club level play. You get out of the area and you have entire programs vested in club ball in the off seasons not just the varsity players (And im not talking about just summer leagues with local high schools ). 

When your team has the majority of its players in high level clubs during the off season, you see the payoff during the school season. I'd wager that the best HS players in SETX play club ball at a high level. And I'm not talking about the clubs who play 3 or 4 one day tournaments in the spring. If you look at HS teams closer to Houston you'll see that most of the girls are single sport athletes who play volleyball year round. The sad reality with the larger high schools in the Houston area is that kids don't have a chance to make varsity unless they are a year-round player. My niece is one of them at Klein. I like that a lot of the kids around SETX can be multi sport athletes at their smaller schools. It cannot be denied, however, that having players who invest in good clubs makes a huge difference in school season. 

1 hour ago, MamaBear2001 said:

When your team has the majority of its players in high level clubs during the off season, you see the payoff during the school season. I'd wager that the best HS players in SETX play club ball at a high level. And I'm not talking about the clubs who play 3 or 4 one day tournaments in the spring. If you look at HS teams closer to Houston you'll see that most of the girls are single sport athletes who play volleyball year round. The sad reality with the larger high schools in the Houston area is that kids don't have a chance to make varsity unless they are a year-round player. My niece is one of them at Klein. I like that a lot of the kids around SETX can be multi sport athletes at their smaller schools. It cannot be denied, however, that having players who invest in good clubs makes a huge difference in school season. 

That is correct. What is amazing is some high school coaches do not believe that and think its them and their program 

5 hours ago, MamaBear2001 said:

Well said. Coincidentally I have a cousin that will be a freshman at Klein. She doesn’t play club but is gonna tryout for volleyball. 

On 7/22/2024 at 12:51 PM, vbdiva said:

Bears will always be good. I know the WOS 8th graders (incoming freshman) lost by a point or two in spring league championship against them. We have 4 freshman that will participate on varsity to start the season. I think one senior and maybe one or two juniors. The 8th grade team had a winning record last season. Three of the four played club volleyball. It may take a season or two but they are coming. They will surprise some teams this year.

3 hours ago, NedPA said:

We play in Pearland, Lufkin and Volleypalooza this year. 

Nice Volleypalooza? I dont think the Dogs have ever played in that and looks like Barbers Hill pulled out of it this year so Nederland is playing a tougher schedule.  

50 minutes ago, vbdiva said:

Nice Volleypalooza? I dont think the Dogs have ever played in that and looks like Barbers Hill pulled out of it this year so Nederland is playing a tougher schedule.  

Good for Ned on Volleypalooza, definately get to see where you stack up against established programs.  It is curious that BH would pull out of a tournament with that level of competition.  BH should be playing the toughest competition available because they won't see it in district.  

• 3 weeks later...