Lumberton Raiders

I don't see them being great.  Lost some really good players, a fantastic QB, a great RB, and at least 23 seniors, if Maxpreps is correct.  They really weren't much better than decent last year, but had the advantage of playing in a really bad district.   The thing is, they're playing in a bad district again, so they can be okay and have a decent season.  I don't disagree with raidergirl that there's been a change in attitude over there.  used to be that even in this district the raiders would be one of the teams getting beat up on.  I expect them to most likely go 0-3 before district, but could easily go 6-1 or 5-2 in district.  y'all just don't overreact if they start cranking off district wins.  BC, HH, HJ, Liberty, and Livingston combined for 8 wins total last year.  

6 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I don't see them being great.  Lost some really good players, a fantastic QB, a great RB, and at least 23 seniors, if Maxpreps is correct.  They really weren't much better than decent last year, but had the advantage of playing in a really bad district.   The thing is, they're playing in a bad district again, so they can be okay and have a decent season.  I don't disagree with raidergirl that there's been a change in attitude over there.  used to be that even in this district the raiders would be one of the teams getting beat up on.  I expect them to most likely go 0-3 before district, but could easily go 6-1 or 5-2 in district.  y'all just don't overreact if they start cranking off district wins.  BC, HH, HJ, Liberty, and Livingston combined for 8 wins total last year.  

You don’t understand… these kids wanna win for themselves and their town… stop being down on Da Raiders 

34 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Probably true. I was just ribbing my buddy @setxathlete14 that I wouldn’t go too hard on Lumberton when the underperforming Bears still roam the woods of SETX. 😇

Difference is those "underperforming" bears You speak of..... are historically a better football team when compared to your raidas. So you will need more than 2024 season to catch up lol

8 minutes ago, setxathlete14 said:

Difference is those "underperforming" bears You speak of..... are historically a better football team when compared to your raidas. So you will need more than 2024 season to catch up lol

Mostly true. Doesn’t take away from the Bears underperforming the last couple seasons. This year will be no different from what I gather. 

18 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Mostly true. Doesn’t take away from the Bears underperforming the last couple seasons. This year will be no different from what I gather. 

I'm only joking about the raiders. I hope they can keep the success up, It's their spot at the top until proven otherwise in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, setxathlete14 said:

I'm only joking about the raiders. I hope they can keep the success up, It's their spot at the top until proven otherwise in my opinion.

You and I both know our district hasn’t had much to be proud of. But good luck to the Raiders and the Bears both.

1 minute ago, SmashMouth said:

You and I both know our district hasn’t had much to be proud of. But good luck to the Raiders and the Bears both.

Over here we're proud of a winning culture now instilled. Kids are excited for the football program. Winning more than losing without being able to recruit.... is good enough for me

7 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

You don’t understand… these kids wanna win for themselves and their town… stop being down on Da Raiders 

Not down, realistic.  They’re better than they used to be, but lost some important pieces.  They may struggle before district, but the district itself is real bad.  I get it that west Brook went 0-10 and Nederland 4-7, but playing up is always tough.  I’m thinking 5-5 or 6-4 on the season, and a shot of making it to the second round assuming they finish 1st or 2nd in district.  Maybe they win one of the first 3 and have a shot at 7-3. I think it’ll be a decent year for them.  Probably not as good as the last couple of years, but better than they’ve historically been.  And I did mention that there’s been a change in mentality out that way.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Not down, realistic.  They’re better than they used to be, but lost some important pieces.  They may struggle before district, but the district itself is real bad.  I get it that west Brook went 0-10 and Nederland 4-7, but playing up is always tough.  I’m thinking 5-5 or 6-4 on the season, and a shot of making it to the second round assuming they finish 1st or 2nd in district.  Maybe they win one of the first 3 and have a shot at 7-3. I think it’ll be a decent year for them.  Probably not as good as the last couple of years, but better than they’ve historically been.  And I did mention that there’s been a change in mentality out that way.  

Losing the coach is not a big deal . He stepped into arguably the best group of kids we have ever had so …see ya (wasn’t impressed ) . Also knew he was leaving and scheduled  3 really tough games to open up with . We are young and going to have some struggles but they will be ok when district starts . Have to stay healthy the 1st 3 weeks . Chase will bring a different intensity that we haven’t had for 3 years and he will do a good job . Good luck to the Raiders 

On 8/16/2024 at 11:34 PM, head13 said:

Losing the coach is not a big deal . He stepped into arguably the best group of kids we have ever had so …see ya (wasn’t impressed ) . Also knew he was leaving and scheduled  3 really tough games to open up with . We are young and going to have some struggles but they will be ok when district starts . Have to stay healthy the 1st 3 weeks . Chase will bring a different intensity that we haven’t had for 3 years and he will do a good job . Good luck to the Raiders 

"Losing the coach is not a big deal" ... Coaches don't play an important role in a team's success.

Losing that coach isn’t a big deal . I wasn’t impressed that’s my opinion . I am an old school guy that thinks a program needs discipline and kids need to be held accountable we didn’t have that . So that’s my opinion . I also didn’t say coaches don’t have something to do with winning I’m way smarter than that. Good luck to the raiders.

6 minutes ago, Rocket_Man said:

New to the area, who are the standouts in Lumberton returning from last year? 

I know they lost a couple of the best skills players they've had in a long time... I don't follow lumberton enough to make a super educated statement on this, but their QB that graduated has to be amongst the best to have ever gone through there.

3 minutes ago, head13 said:

Losing that coach isn’t a big deal . I wasn’t impressed that’s my opinion . I am an old school guy that thinks a program needs discipline and kids need to be held accountable we didn’t have that . So that’s my opinion . I also didn’t say coaches don’t have something to do with winning I’m way smarter than that. Good luck to the raiders.

I agree with you to a point. Although, as talented as though teams were, it took a coach to scheme towards those talents. To be honest, I didn't care for Reyes. I never really said that while he was coaching, because I didn't feel it was beneficial. 

2 minutes ago, head13 said:

I'm with you.... I'm from the days of tough love by coaches.  LOVED every second of it.  If I did something wrong, I expected to be disciplined by a coach, but in this day and age, kids have freer rein.  They are allowed to act undisciplined.  Why cause every second of every football program is being documented by phones.  So, heaven forbid a coach get onto a player for acting out cause if he does.... Mommy and daddy will be up there bright and early to have a conversation with that coach or AD.