Lumberton Raiders

I agree with that but you can make sure they show up on time , act right in class and be a respectful young person . That’s not hard to manager . You also can’t be scared to do what’s right because what’s right is right . Hold them accountable by running them or their teammates when they don’t do what they are supposed to do . You have to have some sort of accountability or these kids will run all over you . My son can be coached anyway a coach feels he needs to be coached . 

13 minutes ago, head13 said:

I agree with that but you can make sure they show up on time , act right in class and be a respectful young person . That’s not hard to manager . You also can’t be scared to do what’s right because what’s right is right . Hold them accountable by running them or their teammates when they don’t do what they are supposed to do . You have to have some sort of accountability or these kids will run all over you . My son can be coached anyway a coach feels he needs to be coached . 

Do that with kids now and you'll have kids quitting, mom and dad in your office, etc... you CANNOT coach kids now like you would have 20+ yrs ago. Too many UIL stipulations, too many soft a$$ kids, too many moms and dads know more than the coach. 

2 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

Do that with kids now and you'll have kids quitting, mom and dad in your office, etc... you CANNOT coach kids now like you would have 20+ yrs ago. Too many UIL stipulations, too many soft a$$ kids, too many moms and dads know more than the coach. 

that's what makes it so special when a coach gets the full backing of his community.  Surratt doesn't have to deal with this, guaranteed.  And if one parent makes waves, the rest of the community backs the coach.  Pretty rare these days.  Although to be fair, coach treatment of players often went too far the other way back in the day.

3 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

that's what makes it so special when a coach gets the full backing of his community.  Surratt doesn't have to deal with this, guaranteed.  And if one parent makes waves, the rest of the community backs the coach.  Pretty rare these days.  Although to be fair, coach treatment of players often went too far the other way back in the day.

That is true, but you know all it takes is one ripple from the right parent and others fall in line.  After the success Lumberton had the past few years, let them hit a rough patch and then that backing of the coach is not so backing. 

4 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

That is true, but you know all it takes is one ripple from the right parent and others fall in line.  After the success Lumberton had the past few years, let them hit a rough patch and then that backing of the coach is not so backing. 

doesn't really sound like Reyes ever had the backing to begin with based on several of the posts i'm seeing here.  which is a shame, as he did a pretty good job over there, despite not doing things how the parents wanted them done.

9 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

doesn't really sound like Reyes ever had the backing to begin with based on several of the posts i'm seeing here.  which is a shame, as he did a pretty good job over there, despite not doing things how the parents wanted them done.

Too many parents know more than coaches these days because they coached little league, and they know what's best for their kid or team.  Sit back and let the ones who are getting paid to coach do their job, but that will never happen.

1 hour ago, Right99JOH said:

Too many parents know more than coaches these days because they coached little league, and they know what's best for their kid or team.  Sit back and let the ones who are getting paid to coach do their job, but that will never happen.

Yepp, and kids that aren't coachable and accountable are usually always that way because of their parents. Coaches get the short end of the stick and have to play the had they're dealt.

21 hours ago, BEARCPA said:

Yepp, and kids that aren't coachable and accountable are usually always that way because of their parents. Coaches get the short end of the stick and have to play the had they're dealt.

That was not the case with Reyes issues. The backing of the coach was mixed. This was a stepping stone, and it was apparent. I'll leave it at that.

51 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

That was not the case with Reyes issues. The backing of the coach was mixed. This was a stepping stone, and it was apparent. I'll leave it at that.

Some folks thought he wasn't committed long-term to the program? 

On 8/19/2024 at 1:42 PM, Right99JOH said:

Would not be the first coach the parents at Lumberton has ran off.

They have gotten pretty good at it.

11 hours ago, pine curtain said:

Would not be the first coach the parents at Lumberton has ran off.

They have gotten pretty good at it.

I have a feeling this coach walked into a ticking timebomb.  After having success the past couple, few years.... all its going to take is for the raiders to have a couple bad games and the Lumberton faithful will be calling for his head. 

42 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

I have a feeling this coach walked into a ticking timebomb.  After having success the past couple, few years.... all its going to take is for the raiders to have a couple bad games and the Lumberton faithful will be calling for his head. 

This coach (McDonald) has been on staff for several years now at Lumberton. He is who the vast majority of the supporters wanted to get the job.

I believe he will do just fine and will be given time to have success.

5 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

This coach (McDonald) has been on staff for several years now at Lumberton. He is who the vast majority of the supporters wanted to get the job.

I believe he will do just fine and will be given time to have success.

Things are a little different now that he is in the spotlight... NO one is given time these days.  Win and win now!

28 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Things are a little different now that he is in the spotlight... NO one is given time these days.  Win and win now!

That wasn't the case for your coach Mathews. How long was he at Vidor?

I can name several coaches that have been at a school for many years who aren't "winning now".

16 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That wasn't the case for your coach Mathews. How long was he at Vidor?

I can name several coaches that have been at a school for many years who aren't "winning now".

Look at the coaches records prior to Mathews... compared to those... he was winning. 

27 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Look at the coaches records prior to Mathews... compared to those... he was winning. 

Pretty sure Mathews overall record is under .500.

My point being he was there for many years and endured a many a losing season.

The "win now" is not the case at many schools.

5 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Pretty sure Mathews overall record is under .500.

My point being he was there for many years and endured a many a losing season.

The "win now" is not the case at many schools.

I know for a fact that Mathews record is leaps and bounds better than the previous coaches (Law, Murphy, Johnson) that where at Vidor.  Those 3 coaches combined probably does not have the record Mathews had... BUT Law and Murphy both coaches when Vidor was still in 5A playing with the likes of WB, Central, North Shore, Baytown Lee & Sterling, LaPorte, etc...

My point is that recent success can change the way a fanbase views a program.  Are they expecting the same results from day 1 or are they ok with a slide down a notch or two?

2 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

What was Lumberton’s record the first 3 games last year ?

4 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

While I agree BUT let’s not forget it’s not like they were in the toughest district either…

Lumberton's district is consistently on the weaker side.  Every few years one team will make it a few rounds deep. 

All teams in that district are chasing one thing.... District Championships.  All the teams in that district know they are not state contenders. 

1 minute ago, Right99JOH said:

Lumberton's district is consistently on the weaker side.  Every few years one team will make it a few rounds deep. 

All teams in that district are chasing one thing.... District Championships.  All the teams in that district know they are not state contenders. 

Well you said if they have a couple of bad games, last year they started off 0-3 on the season. 

Just now, Excoach1970 said:

Well you said if they have a couple of bad games, last year they started off 0-3 on the season. 

Sorry, I should have spelt it out better for you.... If they have a couple bad games in district.  I thought that would have been self-explanatory cause that district is on the weaker side.