Lumberton Raiders

7 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Sorry, I should have spelt it out better for you.... If they have a couple bad games in district.  I thought that would have been self-explanatory cause that district is on the weaker side.

District has always been weak but 3 years ago they got 3rd and they had really good talent 

15 hours ago, pine curtain said:

Would not be the first coach the parents at Lumberton has ran off.

They have gotten pretty good at it.

4 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

I have a feeling this coach walked into a ticking timebomb.  After having success the past couple, few years.... all its going to take is for the raiders to have a couple bad games and the Lumberton faithful will be calling for his head. 

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

This coach (McDonald) has been on staff for several years now at Lumberton. He is who the vast majority of the supporters wanted to get the job.

I believe he will do just fine and will be given time to have success.

Aggie, you know this as well as anybody. Some people like to kick up dust, even though their comments make them seem clueless. I've been a player, coach, parent & fan in Lumberton for over 40 years. Although it may have happened, I can't seem to remember coaches being run off en masse by parents. Plus I know everyone is pulling for Chase (an alumni and a good kid to boot). I don't expect a stellar year because of all the seniors graduating last year, but I don't think anyone will be expecting him to pack his bags asap (this ain't WOS, lol).

33 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Aggie, you know this as well as anybody. Some people like to kick up dust, even though their comments make them seem clueless. I've been a player, coach, parent & fan in Lumberton for over 40 years. Although it may have happened, I can't seem to remember coaches being run off en masse by parents. Plus I know everyone is pulling for Chase (an alumni and a good kid to boot). I don't expect a stellar year because of all the seniors graduating last year, but I don't think anyone will be expecting him to pack his bags asap (this ain't WOS, lol).

Hire a guy that has been around Lumberton for a while.  He knows the parents, kids, etc. and he knows that expectations are low and that as long as he competes in a weak district his job is safe. Not a knock against him. Thats good job security. 

2 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

Lumberton's district is consistently on the weaker side.  Every few years one team will make it a few rounds deep. 

All teams in that district are chasing one thing.... District Championships.  All the teams in that district know they are not state contenders. 

this year they're in possibly the worst district in the state.  maybe some district down near the mexican border is worse.  which is not any fault of Lumberton, but I'm just hoping there isn't too much overreaction when they compete for a district championship this year.  

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

this year they're in possibly the worst district in the state.  maybe some district down near the mexican border is worse.  which is not any fault of Lumberton, but I'm just hoping there isn't too much overreaction when they compete for a district championship this year.  

Can't fault anyone for the weak district. Kids show up to play whoever with what they got.

30 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Hire a guy that has been around Lumberton for a while.  He knows the parents, kids, etc. and he knows that expectations are low and that as long as he competes in a weak district his job is safe. Not a knock against him. Thats good job security. 

But you alluded that if he doesn't "win now" (meaning this season) he will be run out of town. That simply isn't the case in this situation.

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

But you alluded that if he doesn't "win now" (meaning this season) he will be run out of town. That simply isn't the case in this situation.

May not be ran out of town but his seat may get hot really quick.  

2 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

That comments makes zero sense. Do you know how many "non-homers" applied for that job? Same goes for Reyes, who was not from around here either. A complete unknown.

16 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

That comments makes zero sense. Do you know how many "non-homers" applied for that job? Same goes for Reyes, who was not from around here either. A complete unknown.

Makes zero sense?!?  Didn't Lumberton hire a guy with ties to Lumberton?

1 hour ago, Right99JOH said:

Makes zero sense?!?  Didn't Lumberton hire a guy with ties to Lumberton?

Yeah, zero sense. The guy he's replacing, and most of the coaches in the history of Lumberton, were not from Lumberton. The reason they hired him for that position is because he's a good coach. Granted, they could've gone elsewhere for a more experienced coach. I would've been ok with that too. As a matter of record, I wanted them to at least shop around for a next level guy. But success in coaching can be measured in several ways. One way is development of the kids in the program. I think Chase will be good for the players. He cares about them. Same as Jeff in Vidor for all those years. Wins & losses are only part of the equation, albeit an important part. 

1 minute ago, SmashMouth said:

Yeah, zero sense. The guy he's replacing, and most of the coaches in the history of Lumberton, were not from Lumberton. The reason they hired him for that position is because he's a good coach. Granted, they could've gone elsewhere for a more experienced coach. I would've been ok with that too. As a matter of record, I wanted them to at least shop around for a next level guy. But success in coaching can be measured in several ways. One way is development of the kids in the program. I think Chase will be good for the players. He cares about them. Same as Jeff in Vidor for all those years. Wins & losses are only part of the equation, albeit an important part. 

Hired the hometown guy. Why.... cause they know he is not going anywhere and as long as he is somewhat competitive in a weak district then everything will be hunky dory in L-town

Hired the hometown guy. Why.... cause they know he is not going anywhere and as long as he is somewhat competitive in a weak district then everything will be hunky dory in L-town

Then why don't they always do that? Why didn't they do that with Reyes? I know it's only your opinion, but I can tell you there was more to it than that.

7 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Then why don't they always do that? Why didn't they do that with Reyes? I know it's only your opinion, but I can tell you there was more to it than that.

You think a school like Lumberton wants to go thru the hassle of hiring a new HC every couple/few years?!?!... NO... that also leads to firing and hiring of other coaches/teachers.  They tried the Reyes thing.  Won a few games.  Made the playoffs.  Great job.

It's not only Lumberton.  It is other schools in the greater SETX area that are not known for their football program.

You think a school like Lumberton wants to go thru the hassle of hiring a new HC every couple/few years?!?!... NO... that also leads to firing and hiring of other coaches/teachers.  They tried the Reyes thing.  Won a few games.  Made the playoffs.  Great job.

It's not only Lumberton.  It is other schools in the greater SETX area that are not known for their football program.

While I agree there is a definite convenience factor, that is not the sole or even primary reason that Chase was chosen. And to be fair, the "Reyes thing" was due a lot to the players in addition to the coach. And it wasn't "Made the playoffs", it was "won the district" 2 years in a row. No doubt, they're in a weak district. But they managed to do fair in the playoffs too. The hassle of hiring a new coach every few years is a Lumberton staple, lol. Once again, that's not the main reason for hiring Chase. View it any way you want, you just don't know what you're talking about this particular go round. I only stress this, because it's not fair to the coach or even the players to say otherwise. Especially when you probably know next to nothing about the current program.

9 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

While I agree there is a definite convenience factor, that is not the sole or even primary reason that Chase was chosen. And to be fair, the "Reyes thing" was due a lot to the players in addition to the coach. And it wasn't "Made the playoffs", it was "won the district" 2 years in a row. No doubt, they're in a weak district. But they managed to do fair in the playoffs too. The hassle of hiring a new coach every few years is a Lumberton staple, lol. Once again, that's not the main reason for hiring Chase. View it any way you want, you just don't know what you're talking about this particular go round. I only stress this, because it's not fair to the coach or even the players to say otherwise. Especially when you probably know next to nothing about the current program.

STOP the press!!!! Lumberton won district (laughable)... TWICE.... and I sleep better knowing nothing about lumberton, but you can swing it anyway you want.... Reyes wanted bigger and much better than lumberton could ever offer.  So lumberton said we're never getting another coach Reyes... might as well go with the homegrown product so we don't have to go thru this process for a while.

29 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

STOP the press!!!! Lumberton won district (laughable)... TWICE.... and I sleep better knowing nothing about lumberton, but you can swing it anyway you want.... Reyes wanted bigger and much better than lumberton could ever offer.  So lumberton said we're never getting another coach Reyes... might as well go with the homegrown product so we don't have to go thru this process for a while.

You’re wrong, but carry on. You don’t even believe what you’re saying. Lol.

Seems like reyes left because he knew he had to really coach hard with Lumberton losing the most talent it had in a 3 year span ever. Seems like he ran because it  was about to get tough 

36 minutes ago, Excoach1970 said:

Seems like reyes left because he knew he had to really coach hard with Lumberton losing the most talent it had in a 3 year span ever. Seems like he ran because it  was about to get tough 

Several staff members have told me Reyes planned on coming back within a 5 year span. How true this is? I am obviously not 100%. But he leaves for a Palestine team with some good young talent for the next 2-3 years. It definitely makes you wonder. I know one thing, he just went to a pretty difficult district.

30 minutes ago, BadgerNation said:

Several staff members have told me Reyes planned on coming back within a 5 year span. How true this is? I am obviously not 100%. But he leaves for a Palestine team with some good young talent for the next 2-3 years. It definitely makes you wonder. I know one thing, he just went to a pretty difficult district.

Tough tough district but overall talent year n and year out better at Palestine. He ran from having to grind and actually coaching his tail off. 

3 minutes ago, Excoach1970 said:

Tough tough district but overall talent year n and year out better at Palestine. He ran from having to grind and actually coaching his tail off. 

Question, just curious, would he not have to grind and coach his tail off at Palestine given the district opponents he's now having to go up against?? 

I also remember reading somewhere that his workhorse RB transferred to Westwood.