Huntsville Tournament 
Willis 2 Barbers Hill 0
(25-18, 25-23)

Barbers Hill 2 Conroe 0
(25-23, 25-19)

Barbers Hill 2  Iola 1
(20-25, 25-18, 25-20)

On 8/21/2024 at 8:56 AM, THS99 said:

This is not a good start for BH.  Deer Park lost just as much talent as BH, but you could argue that BH had better returning talent (which they do).  A lot of teams lose players year to year, but if you claim to be an elite program you reload and coach up who is next in line.  Maybe there is a reason Bh elected to not play in the Volleypalooza or Dickinson tournaments this year.

From what I read i think BH only returns 2 starters from last years team. They are pretty young this year, but are promising. Not a good start, but we will see how they end. 

They are young with only two seniors, but so was the group two years ago.  That group was mostly underclassmen and dominated a much more difficult non-district schedule; so did classes before them.  Overall this current group is talented enough to have a better record than 9-10, but for whatever reason, it is not happening on the court.  Not getting to the championship bracket of a weaker tournament and losing to a 2A team is not good.  We'll see what happens at this weekends tournament, but I think they will take some lumps again.  However, I fully expect them to go undefeated in district.

3 hours ago, THS99 said:

They are young with only two seniors, but so was the group two years ago.  That group was mostly underclassmen and dominated a much more difficult non-district schedule; so did classes before them.  Overall this current group is talented enough to have a better record than 9-10, but for whatever reason, it is not happening on the court.  Not getting to the championship bracket of a weaker tournament and losing to a 2A team is not good.  We'll see what happens at this weekends tournament, but I think they will take some lumps again.  However, I fully expect them to go undefeated in district.

Iola is the defending 2A State Champs…We scrimmaged them and they will probably repeat this year IMO… I get Barbers Hill is 5A and all but like it was stated earlier… they only returned 2 starters and are young overall… 

14 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

Iola is the defending 2A State Champs…We scrimmaged them and they will probably repeat this year IMO… I get Barbers Hill is 5A and all but like it was stated earlier… they only returned 2 starters and are young overall… 

Understand that Iola is a 2A champ and that BH is young, but BH should have beaten them in the first match and they did the second time they played them (should have been in two instead of three though).  Two seasons ago you had a team just as young beat the eventual 6A champ Dripping Springs in non-district.  Is this current team as talented as the previous, not sure...probably not, but you shouldn't be seeing this big of a drop off with a group that is also filled with club players.  The talent it still there, just not seeing the execution.  Just like football, the jimmy's and joe's still need to be put in the right place.

Anyways, they should beat Clear Lake by a good amount.  If this match is close....then....