Lumberton @ Nederland

3 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

"Last year was last year this year is this year"....Mike Johnston head coach Katy Tigers 2000

Nederland will line up under center something PN-G I don't imagine will be doing too much

I’d say neither PNG and Huntsville are trying to light up the scoreboard. The last two years, PNg has been all about ball and clock control. We held the ball for 9 min straight against Brenham last year. Had a similar long stretch against Leander Rouse. The Indians aren’t trying to score as much as they can. It’s just “play good defense and keep the ball moving, preferably on the ground.” Huntsville is similar. Montgomery Lake Creek is definitely different from that. They’d keep their starters in against a kindergarten. Dayton I think will be a high-scoring team once Prieto gets going, but he’ll improve their defense a bit.

Overall, Nederland and PNG are about to look very similar. From what I saw at the Ned scrimmage, they’ll look like a more direct copy of Katy than PNG. But, that’s just nuance; PNG runs up the middle, Ned will do a lot of play action and runs to the outside. And, PNG lines up under center all the time. MCM is going to be two teams lining up and smashing into each other for 4 quarters.  I’m for it. 

1 hour ago, Rez said:

I’d say neither PNG and Huntsville are trying to light up the scoreboard. The last two years, PNg has been all about ball and clock control. We held the ball for 9 min straight against Brenham last year. Had a similar long stretch against Leander Rouse. The Indians aren’t trying to score as much as they can. It’s just “play good defense and keep the ball moving, preferably on the ground.” Huntsville is similar. Montgomery Lake Creek is definitely different from that. They’d keep their starters in against a kindergarten. Dayton I think will be a high-scoring team once Prieto gets going, but he’ll improve their defense a bit.

Overall, Nederland and PNG are about to look very similar. From what I saw at the Ned scrimmage, they’ll look like a more direct copy of Katy than PNG. But, that’s just nuance; PNG runs up the middle, Ned will do a lot of play action and runs to the outside. And, PNG lines up under center all the time. MCM is going to be two teams lining up and smashing into each other for 4 quarters.  I’m for it. 

Nederland has been god awful on offense the last several years...we welcome the change but I think we'll be better on defense than offense two D1 LBs help with that

2 hours ago, Rez said:

Another thing with PNG their defense and special teams gave their offense a lot of short fields last year that I can remember/ and or defense score. I wanna say someone said PNG D last year had either most turnovers in single season or something? 

2 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Another thing with PNG their defense and special teams gave their offense a lot of short fields last year that I can remember/ and or defense score. I wanna say someone said PNG D last year had either most turnovers in single season or something? 

I don’t know that. But, the d and special teams did more than their part, that’s for sure. 

4 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Nederland has been god awful on offense the last several years...we welcome the change but I think we'll be better on defense than offense two D1 LBs help with that

The offense this year will be a lot better than the last couple of years. But, I think it will seem to not be the case for a few games - The line is learning an entirely new blocking scheme. Though I only saw about 12 plays on offense for Nederland at the scrimmage, I thought some of the players looked a little confused. That’s a good thing - It means Coach Rich is making them learn to do it right, not just handing them something that “works”but isn’t exactly correct. Once they “really” get it (my guess is it will take a few games) I think a lot of people will be impressed. The biggest question mark for me will be can they run it up the middle consistently. It’s clear Ned can go to the outside because they’ve got the speed for it (PNg hasn’t the last two years. I’m hoping that changes this year). But those outside runs really open up when you’ve proven that you can punish the defense if they don’t crowd the box. If you can go up the middle for 3-4 yards a play AND run to the outside consistently, the defense is screwed. 

10 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

"Last year was last year this year is this year"....Mike Johnston head coach Katy Tigers 2000

Nederland will line up under center something PN-G I don't imagine will be doing too much

It’s not all under center.  They didn’t show anything in the scrimmage. 

14 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Don't be dumb about it. It is ok. PNG is a ball control offense that plays very good defense. Don't act like the system is going to change and Nederland will be the only team pounding the ball and playing good defense. 

8 minutes ago, aki1994 said:

Don't be dumb about it. It is ok. PNG is a ball control offense that plays very good defense. Don't act like the system is going to change and Nederland will be the only team pounding the ball and playing good defense. 

I bet Bailey throws the ball more than you're thinking this year

Not many positives Lumberton can take away from last night unfortunately.  I guess the silver lining is it can only get better.  Lumberton players were not prepared and that’s on the coaches, so I hope they are doing some reflecting on where they need to improve also.  It’s one thing to be overmatched, it’s another to be overmatched and commit so many self inflicting penalties.  No excuse for that and that is 100% coaching.

Prayers for Nederland LB #8.  Hopefully his injury heals quickly and he can get back onto the field asap.  

Good luck to both teams the rest of the season!

4 hours ago, GoBigBlue1997 said:

Not many positives Lumberton can take away from last night unfortunately.  I guess the silver lining is it can only get better.  Lumberton players were not prepared and that’s on the coaches, so I hope they are doing some reflecting on where they need to improve also.  It’s one thing to be overmatched, it’s another to be overmatched and commit so many self inflicting penalties.  No excuse for that and that is 100% coaching.

Prayers for Nederland LB #8.  Hopefully his injury heals quickly and he can get back onto the field asap.  

Good luck to both teams the rest of the season!

Lumberton started off 0-3 last year and they had a very good team back, this year they last 33 seniors and only 4 returnees this wasn’t on the coaches for not preparing the kids this is a young team that will keep growing.