Hwy 90 Shootout Dayton Vs Crosby

Was at the Dayton GCM scrimmage. (My son is the NG for GCM.) Dayton had one big play over the top and then struggled on offense the rest of the night. I don’t think they got another 1st down. Daytons defense looks like they are in mid season form but they were playing GCM so take what you will from that. Crosby should beat Dayton soundly talent for talent. However I don’t trust this HC at all. If this game is close or if CHS loses. Willis needs to walk away. 

20 minutes ago, MrFleet23 said:

Was at the Dayton GCM scrimmage. (My son is the NG for GCM.) Dayton had one big play over the top and then struggled on offense the rest of the night. I don’t think they got another 1st down. Daytons defense looks like they are in mid season form but they were playing GCM so take what you will from that. Crosby should beat Dayton soundly talent for talent. However I don’t trust this HC at all. If this game is close or if CHS loses. Willis needs to walk away. 

Dayton's defense was my main concern sounds like their finally being coached up . I'm not worried about our offense any decent coach never shows his hand in a scrimmage. Our sophomore QB from last yr (who will play multiple positions this season while Coach P's son little Jerry will take over as OB) Last year he was 75% of the offense and he'll be better this year to compliment the rest of the  offense as well as playing DB. It wouldn't surprise me if Crosby wins but I  think it be more competitive than you think. 

1 hour ago, MrFleet23 said:

Man, I thought Dayton's offense looked better than I would’ve expected actually. I didn’t really want to say that though. They picked up 83 yards in their first 5 plays of the scrimmage which is why I said they looked pretty decent and had several other opportunities for chunk plays if the receivers make plays on the ball, particularly #8 on the go route when he’s 1v1 on a small DB and the big kid #12 who couldn’t come down with a contested catch over the middle that was a for sure TD if he does. I wouldn’t call them fast or overly athletic but they have some solid personnel on the starting offense. Question is how many QB runs will Coach P call with Jr in there? 

I think Dayton’s defense looked good mainly because of GCM’s inability to execute a varsity offense. I think there are several games on their schedule where Dayton is going to struggle in the trenches  if they don’t get early leads. Crosby should’ve been one of them but without the ability to run the ball consistently we’ll probably be in a lot of third and long situations where Poth and his creative ways of bringing pressure has the advantage over whatever we’re calling from our sideline regardless of personnel. 

I don’t know how anybody who’s seen both of these teams can say Crosby is a favorite, much less a big one to those who are thinking that? I think the days of Crosby’s talent and athleticism factoring into game results are done for a while. Unfortunately, we’ve digressed to just trying to put together respectable performances no matter the opponent across from us. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Man, I thought Dayton's offense looked better than I would’ve expected actually. I didn’t really want to say that though. They picked up 83 yards in their first 5 plays of the scrimmage which is why I said they looked pretty decent and had several other opportunities for chunk plays if the receivers make plays on the ball, particularly #8 on the go route when he’s 1v1 on a small DB and the big kid #12 who couldn’t come down with a contested catch over the middle that was a for sure TD if he does. I wouldn’t call them fast or overly athletic but they have some solid personnel on the starting offense. Question is how many QB runs will Coach P call with Jr in there? 

I think Dayton’s defense looked good mainly because of GCM’s inability to execute a varsity offense. I think there are several games on their schedule where Dayton is going to struggle in the trenches  if they don’t get early leads. Crosby should’ve been one of them but without the ability to run the ball consistently we’ll probably be in a lot of third and long situations where Poth and his creative ways of bringing pressure has the advantage over whatever we’re calling from our sideline regardless of personnel. 

I don’t know how anybody who’s seen both of these teams can say Crosby is a favorite, much less a big one to those who are thinking that? I think the days of Crosby’s talent and athleticism factoring into game results are done for a while. Unfortunately, we’ve digressed to just trying to put together respectable performances no matter the opponent across from us. 

I say that because of those plays you mentioned with the WR’s . They took a few hits and stopped trying to catch the ball. Those WR should have shined against those tiny DBs . Im expecting Crosby’s defense to be more physical than GCM. But you right I haven’t seen a lot of  Crosby this year. If they are  not much better than GCMon defense I guess I’m just doomed to watching bad football on Fridays this year *Facepalm* maybe I’ll support my tax dollars and watch Atascocita and Summer Creek when I’m not watching my son. 

Well, Dayton has Coach P who looked like he was already in mid-season form the way he was tuning up officials last night but there’s potentially rain in the forecast🙏🏾  

In all seriousness I think this game is going to come down to quarterback play. How ironic is that the two stud QBs Crosby had in their ‘27 class both left for various reasons after their 8th grade year but will now face each other a year later as sophomores on varsity? If the North Shore transfers are cleared that’s going to be a huge help tonight. One plays DE and has a similar build to McCoy Casey and the other is a kid who I think another poster was alluding to who can help at one of the skill positions. 

Even though Crosby doesn’t pressure much I think Dayton is going to have a tough time running the football on Crosby’s front 7. That being said the fact that we don’t pressure much is probably why Coach P is going to have success calling plays against us. It’s gets unsettling to watch Crosby only rush three and drop LB’s on 3rd and short. I think this is part of the new “playing the right way” philosophy being instilled? 

I think the gameplan tonight on offense will be to give it to Yarbrough 25-ish times and hope he can break son long runs to keep the offense functional. I’m not sure we’re settled enough at the QB position to really do anything else? Crosby will be extremely run heavy on 1st snd 2nd downs as usual but if we end up in a lot of 3rd and longs we’re almost assured to lose because Poth will start sending them at an even higher clip and Crosby showed very little ability to anything outside of a normal rush against Baytown Lee. 

Either way it goes I definitely still think the worst part of tonight will be dealing with Dayton’s parking situation and restrooms. Remember, Coach P had an issue with OUR facilities 👀

Crosby will be looking to win their first season opener since 2018

This season the Cougars will be looking to make the playoffs for the 18th time in the last 20 seasons

Tonight, Joe Willis will start the quest for his first winning season at Crosby

During the 2024 season Code Red will be attempting to win its first district championship since 2021