Crosby (14) @ Dayton (19) - FINAL

20 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

My annoyance... commit to something. 

like you bring out big package and start running then 3rd and two pass it? Why not give your RB two shots at 2 yards.

This exactly !  
Crosby players were not prepared to play 4 quarters. They were done after 1-1/2. 

Well, the game went exactly like I told you it probably would. Poorly coached and just wasted talent. This is just what the Joe Willis era is at Crosby. Hopefully he “retires” again at the end of the season and we get a competent guy in here before he drives the program completely in the ground. 

2 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Well, the game went exactly like I told you it probably would. Poorly coached and just wasted talent. This is just what the Joe Willis era is at Crosby. Hopefully he “retires” again at the end of the season and we get a competent guy in here before he drives the program completely in the ground. 

#2 Awesome RB for Crosby ! Definitely should dominate the offense -

18 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I fully expect Crosby to be blown out the next two weeks and head into district play 0-3. It’s a shame there’s already nothing to look forward to but this is the price you pay when your athletic program is hampered by arrogant administrators. 

Willis about to put up GCM numbers

13 minutes ago, MrFleet23 said:

Willis about to put up GCM numbers

Coach P and Coach Poth were probably over there looking across the field thinking “We could beat us by 30 with our old kids”. Not surprising to me though, Willis couldn’t even move the ball on Baytown Lee in the scrimmage. 

Well, the statistics back up the awful offensive performance. Luke Wheeler was the leading passer for Crosby with 25 yards. Yarbrough had an overall good night with 189 yards on 27 carries but if you look into it that's also pretty concerning. 89 yards came on the two TD runs in the first half but after that it's 25 carries for 100 yards or 4ypc. 

Crosby has a sophomore who I mentioned earlier in the week had Austin Walter-like ability but Dayton would have to deal with him because Willis was going to line him up in the slot. I believe he had two carries for zero yards and one catch for 11 yards. I mentioned Willis compounding his poor play-calling with questionable personnel decisions. The Crosby receiver that dropped the TD pass has consistently done so in practice as well as game situations but he's a senior and Willis continues to play him over kids who have repeatedly demonstrated the ability to make those plays. 

Willis constantly rotates the QB's at practice, I didn't think that was something he was going to carry over to the game though. Neither QB could get into a rhythm running windsprints over to the sideline after every play. Mediocre to bad QB play is something that has been consistent with Willis' offenses the last few years. Kids that were solid in Prieto's system look like they've neve played QB under Willis. 

I'm not sure that Crosby has ever had anybody on campus that knows more football than Joe Willis and he may be a great coach but he just doesn't fit the personnel at Crosby. He's an old school guy stuck in his ways and he's getting the brakes beat off of him by younger coaches with less talented teams running more dynamic systems. I think Coach Willis is a great teacher of the game and the kids love him but two weeks from now you're probably talking about a coach who's 2-11 through his first 13 games at Crosby after coming off of a 2-8 season at his previous stop. 

At the end of the day it's not Willis' fault, Crosby was desperate and probably paid a nice asking price. It's certainly not the kids' fault as they're still signing scholarships and going off to play college football. When somebody gets hurt at work we always look for the "root cause" of the injury. The root cause of Crosby's injury is their administration and particularly the superintendent. They say stuff rolls downhill and right now Crosby fans are standing at the bottom of a mountain. Hopefully we can finish with some type of respectability for the seniors and the admins. make the needed personnel moves after the season. 

Please don't see this as me taking anything from Dayton they deserve this win... but talk about getting outcoached.

Not only does the trickery work to get the Broncos up two scores but you then get the lead and go away from everything that had been working.

Also, one particular player from Crosby must have gotten roasted over the flames after this one...

Three separate big errors that lead to scores, yikes. 

The Broncos offense looked pedestrian that's likely due to being new in the system, there's a glimmer of hope it might have something to do with the Crosby defense but only a glimmer. 

It's a weird one for me... if this was a different coach with a different first year I might even be willing to write it off as the silliness of a rivalry game due to the dropped passes, overthrows and just sheer number of plays that were close but not quite for Crosby this game but I don't think Willis and Staff have earned that benefit. 

The rewatch was worse than the original btw 0/10 do not recommend... unless your a Bronco. 

15 minutes ago, Red Boyou said:

Agree that both teams looked far from stellar, but say what you will, some of those dropped passes were because the Broncos were laying the wood 

I am not talking about good plays lol. I'm talking about wide open TD passes thrown 15 yards over peoples heads, or balls that hit players in the hands and they dropped. If a Bronco was touching them I was not talking about that play. 

We have a dropped TD in this one, and it's a 1 score game. We have an overthrown ball that could have been tossed to the seam route with how open he was. We also have several dropped passes that hit people in the hands and they try to run without catching the ball. On top of getting out coached. 

I'm not entirely sure that last year's Dayton team wouldn't have also beaten last year's Crosby team.

I'm sure it felt good for Prieto, but I didn't think either team looked better than the other in terms of execution or sophistication of what they were doing. 

I think the bigger question for Crosby is how did they let Riordan get away.

13 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

I am not talking about good plays lol. I'm talking about wide open TD passes thrown 15 yards over peoples heads, or balls that hit players in the hands and they dropped. If a Bronco was touching them I was not talking about that play. 

We have a dropped TD in this one, and it's a 1 score game. We have an overthrown ball that could have been tossed to the seam route with how open he was. We also have several dropped passes that hit people in the hands and they try to run without catching the ball. On top of getting out coached. 

Yea I get what you’re saying but even with that, the Broncos were in the same boat with wide open receivers and overthrown/dropped balls. But like I said as the game went on and Dayton was popping the Crosby receivers they started taking their eyes of the ball and at times had alligator arms. IMO

1 hour ago, gary-us-bonds said:

I'm not entirely sure that last year's Dayton team wouldn't have also beaten last year's Crosby team.

I'm sure it felt good for Prieto, but I didn't think either team looked better than the other in terms of execution or sophistication of what they were doing. 

I think the bigger question for Crosby is how did they let Riordan get away.

Riordan left during the financial situation don't really blame any party other than the old super and their "finance" department. 

3 hours ago, Red Boyou said:

Yea I get what you’re saying but even with that, the Broncos were in the same boat with wide open receivers and overthrown/dropped balls. But like I said as the game went on and Dayton was popping the Crosby receivers they started taking their eyes of the ball and at times had alligator arms. IMO

Was some what impressed with our young QB  he has the ability and potential to be really good this year ! also  Daytons #1 who played RB and any  position  that required his skills is a baller - loved his last TD right up the middle braking tackles and blitzing to end zone. Dayton finally has a good coach since the Jerry Stewart era  - I think we get considerably better as  the season go's on.    Crosby has  all the right pieces when they start to gel they will dangerous for sure.

On 9/3/2024 at 3:45 PM, jayhawk said:

Was some what impressed with our young QB  he has the ability and potential to be really good this year ! also  Daytons #1 who played RB and any  position  that required his skills is a baller - loved his last TD right up the middle braking tackles and blitzing to end zone. Dayton finally has a good coach since the Jerry Stewart era  - I think we get considerably better as  the season go's on.    Crosby has  all the right pieces when they start to gel they will dangerous for sure.

The reality is given the size on the line and the Running back options we have the second we take the top off the defense the whole offense comes together. The question is which QB is capable of actually doing that and what receivers need to be in to do that.