Port Neches-Groves (39) @ Klein Oak (17) - FINAL

32 minutes ago, FrodoNDN said:

Looking good, but have some areas of weakness. Definitely missing Reed and Johnson, but as the greenness wears off the replacements will step up. KO KO'd themselves tonight. Probably would have been closer game. Bidlg kids on that team.

The kid playing Johnson’s position from last year had two interceptions and a bunch of tackles. 

PNG defense will get better. Several starters sat out this game I think, including ILB #43. Some of the backups looked pretty good, on both sides of the ball. The special teams will see changes as the season gets into district play, and even more so for playoffs, (without getting ahead of myself).

KO has some good athletes, size and speed, but not enough discipline. The young man that touched the ball for KO on the punt return learned a good lesson, and so did the KO coaches, who are just as much to blame for a play like that, IMO. KO gave away lots of points, but I think they could be pretty good going forward, as well as PNG. 

Let’s start with the good. Tyson Henry reminded me of Isaiah Nguyen in how he runs. With time for Henry to develop, I think he and Chatagnier will strike a dynamic similar to the one Chatagnier shared with Nguyen. We saw how that worked out last year. Bailey and his receivers corps both looked good once the offense found its rhythm. Same goes for the OL. The defense forced six turnovers, only giving up ten points to a fairly talented (if poorly coached) 6A team with an OU commit and as much speed as we’ll see all season.

Perhaps most importantly, the stellar in-game adjustments we’ve become accustomed to from this coaching staff were on full display; I took particular notice of how the passing game exploited the seams that were opened when Klein Oak stacked the box early to stifle Chatagnier. McDaniel’s still the best high school DC in America, in my book. In the end, we walked away with a three possession win in enemy territory. It was a strong first outing for the 2024 Indians.

Now let’s talk about the bad. Two drive-killing false starts and two fumbles, including one scoop-n-score, within spitting distance of the end zone during the first ~15 minutes of regulation. A bobbled snap on a PAT attempt that, thankfully, worked out for an unintentional two pointer. Some bad snaps on punting attempts that, thankfully, didn’t cost us anything.

It’s hard to complain about a 22 point victory over a school with a thousand more kids to build a team from. All in all, this was a good win for the Indians. Change two or three key moments in the game, however, and this easily could’ve been the Indians’ third consecutive season opener loss.

The main thing is that we know what we need to work on. The offense needs to work out some stiffness. Defense has a minor size issue in the backfield and needs to do a little work on tackling. Special teams needs the most work of all. I trust Joseph & Co. to iron out those kinks.

We’ll have another good season this year. Will it be another history-making season? Only time will tell. 😎