Tax Cuts Will Spur Economic Growth!

Reagan

3 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I would love to have eliminated SS and Medicare, I can handle my own retirement.

But since I was forced to pay for them, you can bet I will take them when eligible.

By the way, it’s not a handout when you pay for what someone is giving you back.

Medicaid is a handout.

There are people wbo work whose children receive Medicaid. If a child is born with a debilitating illness he qualifies. The parents insurance is primary, Medicaid is the secondary insurance that helps with the expenses. I know a doctor whose kid receives medicaid

3 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Go back and read what actually happened between Clinton and Gingrich, and look into what Clinton actually cut from the budget, and what was happening in the economy with the tech boom.  You actually have to look further than a headline in an article you googled to understand what happened.

Do you agree that the fact that he raised taxes played a part in balancing the budget?

19 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Thank you for proving the point, Republicans forced welfare reform, Clinton gutted the military, including private sector defense companies, raised taxes on the wealthy and also enjoyed the boom in the tech industry.

Anyone that thinks this scenario proves that higher taxes boosts the economy is foolish.  Money left in the private sector is ALWAYS better that money confiscated by government.

If that is the case, why did we have the Great Recession whe. GW Bush was the POTUS?

19 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Do you agree that the fact that he raised taxes played a part in balancing the budget?

Sure, anytime you take from the American taxpayers, it makes the pot bigger. I believe you would have created more wealth leaving that money in the private sector, the government slush fund creates no wealth.

Cut spending, cuts taxes, shut down entitlements at the federal level, this is their only way to stop the spiral we’re in.

You do realize the Clintons wanted to spend massive amounts of money on Hillarycare, don’t you?

He was no fiscal conservative, was dragged kicking and screaming into welfare reform, and decided to cut the most important thing the federal government should be taking care of, the military.

Tax increases are never good, cutting spending is always good.

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Sure, anytime you take from the American taxpayers, it makes the pot bigger. I believe you would have created more wealth leaving that money in the private sector, the government slush fund creates no wealth.

Cut spending, cuts taxes, shut down entitlements at the federal level, this is their only way to stop the spiral we’re in.

You do realize the Clintons wanted to spend massive amounts of money on Hillarycare, don’t you?

He was no fiscal conservative, was dragged kicking and screaming into welfare reform, and decided to cut the most important thing the federal government should be taking care of, the military.

Tax increases are never good, cutting spending is always good.

Increasing taxes on the wealthy, and spending cuts are the way to go

24 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Nope, flat tax, that way, when the government talks about raising taxes, everyone will pay attention.

You shouldn’t be punished by paying higher taxes simply because you are successful.

I believe in a progressive tax system. 

Higher earners paying more than smaller earners. The problem(s) as I see it are that over half of us contribute nothing (or better yet, get a gift from the treasury called “earned income credit”) while the other half are chided for  “not paying their fair share” while their top tax rate is 35%. The system is off kilter. 

1. Everybody should pay something. No one should be receiving money from the government in the form of unrealized tax refunds. You should collect back no more than you paid in…. Period. 

2. Unrealized gains should be taxed IF they are used as collateral for a loan.  Rich guys (CEOs, etc) receive generous amounts of their compensation in the form of stocks. They don’t pay taxes on them because the gains aren’t locked in until the stocks are sold. They turn around and take out huge loans against the stocks/assets that they received as compensation.  They use the proceeds of these loans to create lavish lifestyles, tax free. In fact, the interest that they spend on these loans is tax deductible, lol. When they do eventually sell their assets, the proceeds of the sale is taxed at the capital gains rate, which is much lower than they’d pay on actual income. It’s an easy loophole to close. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

I believe in a progressive tax system. 

Higher earners paying more than smaller earners. The problem(s) as I see it are that over half of us contribute nothing (or better yet, get a gift from the treasury called “earned income credit”) while the other half are chided for  “not paying their fair share” while their top tax rate is 35%. The system is off kilter. 

1. Everybody should pay something. No one should be receiving money from the government in the form of unrealized tax refunds. You should collect back no more than you paid in…. Period. 

2. Unrealized gains should be taxed IF they are used as collateral for a loan.  Rich guys (CEOs, etc) receive generous amounts of their compensation in the form of stocks. They don’t pay taxes on them because the gains aren’t locked in until the stocks are sold. They turn around and take out huge loans against the stocks/assets that they received as compensation.  They use the proceeds of these loans to create lavish lifestyles, tax free. In fact, the interest that they spend on these loans is tax deductible, lol. When they do eventually sell their assets, the proceeds of the sale is taxed at the capital gains rate, which is much lower than they’d pay on actual income. It’s an easy loophole to close. 

I don’t like a progressive tax system, it punishes the top earners that drive the economy, which is nuts.

If we fixed your #2 item, it wouldn’t make a drop in the bucket difference, but if we made the bottom 9/10 start paying their fair share, game changer.

Along with cutting the spending…but, not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I don’t like a progressive tax system, it punishes the top earners that drive the economy, which is nuts.

If we fixed your #2 item, it wouldn’t make a drop in the bucket difference, but if we made the bottom 9/10 start paying their fair share, game changer.

Tell me this. What would the “drivers” do without a labor force? You don’t want unions. That’d give too much to the “takers”. You favor wage suppression, then as an insult, hike their taxes too so the “drivers” can make even more.

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

Tell me this. What would the “drivers” do without a labor force? You don’t want unions. That’d give too much to the “takers”. You favor wage suppression, then as an insult, hike their taxes too so the “drivers” can make even more.

I don't understand why people don't get it. You make more, you pay more. Why punish someone just because they are poor.

1 hour ago, Big girl said:

I don't understand why people don't get it. You make more, you pay more. Why punish someone just because they are poor.

I don’t understand why people don’t get it, you make more, you DO pay more, but at an equal percentage.

The “poor” pay the same percentage, no punishment, fair tax.

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

Did they not teach grammar and punctuation at UT?

7 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

So your plan is to tax the poor and cut taxes on the rich?

6 hours ago, Reagan said:

The tax system as it is, is the more you make the more you pay.  The less you make the less you pay.

@Big girl  @UT alum

Right… I just think the scale is tipped. You can’t have a system where most pay nothing and some pay most. 

A progressive tax system like ours is the right framework, but I think it’s wrong to have people paying 40%+ in some states on their top dollars when over half contribute nothing, or even worse get gifts from the treasury.