Offensive football

Maybe it’s just me getting old but it seems that offensive football has gotten well offensive. Seeing bad spread teams makes me think back to when you would see bone based option including double slot, I, wing t, slot t, spread, and at times split backs. lots of poor protection and qb play throughout. 
no boot/waggle little sprint out game. Olines struggling with zone schemes. For the most part lousy offensive football. 

59 minutes ago, Vini vidi said:

Maybe it’s just me getting old but it seems that offensive football has gotten well offensive. Seeing bad spread teams makes me think back to when you would see bone based option including double slot, I, wing t, slot t, spread, and at times split backs. lots of poor protection and qb play throughout. 
no boot/waggle little sprint out game. Olines struggling with zone schemes. For the most part lousy offensive football. 

Agreed.

Dayton and Crosby was some of the worst offensive football I have seen. A battle between one team who was so confident they couldn't complete a pass they would hand it off on 3rd and 4th and long and hope he miraculously breaks one and another team whose only pass play was to fling it deep down the sidelines and hope for a good result on a tipped ball.

It was rough.

LaPorte and DP on the other hand. Two teams that could execute and looked like they knew what they were doing.

I know one school who has had fans who desperately wanted a coaching change so they could finally be rid of the Slot T and have a spread offense installed.  Coach who left put up 54 points with his new school last night.  School whose fans (some of them, to be fair) wanted change…scored 7…on a blocked punt return.  Be careful what you wish for 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

20 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I know one school who has had fans who desperately wanted a coaching change so they could finally be rid of the Slot T and have a spread offense installed.  Coach who left put up 54 points with his new school last night.  School whose fans (some of them, to be fair) wanted change…scored 7…on a blocked punt return.  Be careful what you wish for 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Against Buna ….. make a relatively smart comparison, your better than that. 

last years coach lost to woodville twice by much more embarrassing scores. 

this Jr heavy team fight all game long with game changing turnovers that killed the run. 

self inflicted mistakes lost the game, not the offense. 

that worn out Wing T wouldn’t have made a difference. 

59 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I don't have much respect for 54 points scored against buna.....Run from competition opting up to a weaker district then brag about putting 54 up against buna... though choices from previous coach.....i dont respect that at all. Show me that ( which they probably will) against some tough teams.....Thats like bragging about whipping your little brother in a pick up game.

21 hours ago, setxathlete14 said:

I don't have much respect for 54 points scored against buna.....Run from competition opting up to a weaker district then brag about putting 54 up against buna... though choices from previous coach.....i dont respect that at all. Show me that ( which they probably will) against some tough teams.....Thats like bragging about whipping your little brother in a pick up game.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, here is mine. They opted up to be more competitive across the board and change the scenery from the last 4 years of being the laughing stock of SETX.

Honestly, from what I’ve seen so far from BC in particular they might be competing for a district title this year. Change was needed in that city. It used to be an embarrassing program. Last year BC almost lost to Buna. Only winning 20-12 This year, they dominated them. BC hasn’t completely dominated anyone in recent memory. Now, there is excitement, and the kids and community are beaming with pride. What is wrong with that? Also, we can talk about the offensive showcase BC put on, but the defense has been absolutely lights out. You are forgetting, in a live half vs Silsbee and Newton (two of the best teams in the area) and a full game vs Buna. They have only allowed 6 POINTS. Those 6 points came late with the 2s and 3s in the game.
Take it how you want. They still have to go out there and prove that they are worthy of the praise. I believe that they will. Also, I’m not trying to attack you or your opinion, I just love seeing local Orange County teams be successful, especially teams that have not been competitive in recent memory. BC should be 3-0 once the fun of district play begins. District play will provide better insight to what this team is capable of.

12 minutes ago, Guitar Man said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, here is mine. They opted up to be more competitive across the board and change the scenery from the last 4 years of being the laughing stock of SETX.

Honestly, from what I’ve seen so far from BC in particular they might be competing for a district title this year. Change was needed in that city. It used to be an embarrassing program. Last year BC almost lost to Buna. Only winning 20-12 This year, they dominated them. BC hasn’t completely dominated anyone in recent memory. Now, there is excitement, and the kids and community are beaming with pride. What is wrong with that? Also, we can talk about the offensive showcase BC put on, but the defense has been absolutely lights out. You are forgetting, in a live half vs Silsbee and Newton (two of the best teams in the area) and a full game vs Buna. They have only allowed 6 POINTS. Those 6 points came late with the 2s and 3s in the game.
Take it how you want. They still have to go out there and prove that they are worthy of the praise. I believe that they will. Also, I’m not trying to attack you or your opinion, I just love seeing local Orange County teams be successful, especially teams that have not been competitive in recent memory. BC should be 3-0 once the fun of district play begins. District play will provide better insight to what this team is capable of.

Very good post.  It’s no secret I have always been, and will always be a fan of Josh Smalley the person.  I also happen to think he’s a pretty dang good football coach.  I think BC is going to be very pleased with this hire.  And I will personally be rooting for them in every game but one this season. 

2 hours ago, Guitar Man said:

I do agree here. BUT they should compete for a championship. That was the goal move up to compete with WORSE teams and have a better shot at playoffs.

Smalley probably would never even considered moving up so he's probably working with the cards he was dealt and no doubt great coach there.

2 hours ago, Guitar Man said:

but the defense has been absolutely lights out

There's a really good reason for that. Some staffs don't push away help. Some seek it and reap the benefits. Now I know Buna ain't nothing to brag about. But these kids got the confidence they needed.

And another thing. Not u particularly. Just in general. Stop saying the old coach opted up. It was the superintendent. But don't think for a second that Smalley wasn't consulted about the decision. Even if he wasn't officially on campus.

On 8/31/2024 at 8:43 AM, gary-us-bonds said:

Agreed.

Dayton and Crosby was some of the worst offensive football I have seen. A battle between one team who was so confident they couldn't complete a pass they would hand it off on 3rd and 4th and long and hope he miraculously breaks one and another team whose only pass play was to fling it deep down the sidelines and hope for a good result on a tipped ball.

It was rough.

LaPorte and DP on the other hand. Two teams that could execute and looked like they knew what they were doing.

Poor guy obviously  your not very bright and not  a very good instigator-