La Porte @ PNG

Rez

PNG or La Porte   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Here’s some history trivia: PNG and La Porte have played only once, in 1977. PNG won 34-13. 

I’ve had this one circled since the schedule released. The first two games gave us the chance to line up against size and speed, but didn’t offer much, if anything, by way of discipline, game plan, or execution. LP has size, speed, and good coaching. We need to go against a team willing to run it right down our throat who knows how to do it. I think we’ll be able to able to move the ball and their offense is going to show our weaknesses, especially around the edge. We’ve got a better defense and we’re at home.

PNG by 10.  

I have to be a homer.

As far as the game, LP is a different animal than Klein Oak or BU. I’m a little confused on them this year so far as I see a lot of tinkering, and I wonder how much emphasis they’ve actually put on winning vs. staying healthy and trying to find other offensive options.

As it stands right now, the QB is still a game manager vs. being an offensive threat in any way. The RB’s are the offense. The D has given up some big plays on trick plays and long passes. Special Teams have been well above average.

In both games so far, Ive seen multiple new plays and players. So, I’m not sure what to expect against PNG.. If the pattern holds, I’d expect to see a heavy dose of #3 to the right behind a pulling LG and traps. But, that could all have been done for a reason I’m unaware of. If the first two games were more to work on things, it will be easy to tell early on by the play calling.

I’d expect the staff to put more emphasis on trying to win this game going into district play.

Hopefully, it will be on Texan Live, or broadcast somewhere.

16 hours ago, Rez said:

Here’s some history trivia: PNG and La Porte have played only once, in 1977. PNG won 34-13. 

I’ve had this one circled since the schedule released. The first two games gave us the chance to line up against size and speed, but didn’t offer much, if anything, by way of discipline, game plan, or execution. LP has size, speed, and good coaching. We need to go against a team willing to run it right down our throat who knows how to do it. I think we’ll be able to able to move the ball and their offense is going to show our weaknesses, especially around the edge. We’ve got a better defense and we’re at home.

PNG by 10.  

Remember that PO game well. Was there.😬 

Also, there is some familiarity between the two squads. Just not the way some are aware of. The Joseph/Berneathy connection goes back to the battles of the mid 2000’s between Katy & La Porte. Both styles of play are still similar to those teams. At that time, Katy had a very large program and enrollment advantage, and put it to good use. LP only won one of those matchups.

1 hour ago, OlDawg said:

I have to be a homer.

As far as the game, LP is a different animal than Klein Oak or BU. I’m a little confused on them this year so far as I see a lot of tinkering, and I wonder how much emphasis they’ve actually put on winning vs. staying healthy and trying to find other offensive options.

As it stands right now, the QB is still a game manager vs. being an offensive threat in any way. The RB’s are the offense. The D has given up some big plays on trick plays and long passes. Special Teams have been well above average.

In both games so far, Ive seen multiple new plays and players. So, I’m not sure what to expect against PNG.. If the pattern holds, I’d expect to see a heavy dose of #3 to the right behind a pulling LG and traps. But, that could all have been done for a reason I’m unaware of. If the first two games were more to work on things, it will be easy to tell early on by the play calling.

I’d expect the staff to put more emphasis on trying to win this game going into district play.

Ndn press will live stream the game on there YouTube channel 

15 hours ago, OlDawg said:

Remember that PO game well. Was there.😬 

Also, there is some familiarity between the two squads. Just not the way some are aware of. The Joseph/Berneathy connection goes back to the battles of the mid 2000’s between Katy & La Porte. Both styles of play are still similar to those teams. At that time, Katy had a very large program and enrollment advantage, and put it to good use. LP only won one of those matchups.

I remember some of those Katie La Porte games, I was at the game I believe in the playoffs when it was done at Memorial Stadium off of I 10. Can’t remember the name of it. It’s where former teammate Craig James played for Stratford all of his games. Anyway, those were some great games And I remember watching a great coach team get beat by an even better coach with a little less talent La Porte team. Great memories. 
i’ve been in Texas the last two weeks I didn’t get to attend any high school football games, but went to University of Texas and Colorado State game and just watch some games but if All still in Texas, I would love to go see the Hill versus La Porte. Hill has one of my former players, Chance Nelson , coach of wide receivers, and I’m familiar with La Porte‘s offense. In my opinion, Coach needs to open it up a little bit to make La Porte really dangerous. He didn’t do that at Dobie with a lot of talent. He was too predictable a teams good defense coordinator could defend them very easily! He leaves a lot of points on the field with his lack of innovation. 

1 minute ago, Coachbearoso said:

I remember some of those Katie La Porte games, I was at the game I believe in the playoffs when it was done at Memorial Stadium off of I 10. Can’t remember the name of it. It’s where former teammate Craig James played for Stratford all of his games. Anyway, those were some great games And I remember watching a great coach team get beat by an even better coach with a little less talent La Porte team. Great memories. 
i’ve been in Texas the last two weeks I didn’t get to attend any high school football games, but went to University of Texas and Colorado State game and just watch some games but if All still in Texas, I would love to go see the Hill versus La Porte. Hill has one of my former players, Chance Nelson , coach of wide receivers, and I’m familiar with La Porte‘s offense. In my opinion, Coach needs to open it up a little bit to make La Porte really dangerous. He didn’t do that at Dobie with a lot of talent. He was too predictable a teams good defense coordinator could defend them very easily! He leaves a lot of points on the field with his lack of innovation. 

17 hours ago, OlDawg said:

I have to be a homer.

You mean they were not trying to win the first two.

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

You mean they were not trying to win the first two.

No. I’m sure they were trying to win. What I am saying is, the play selection—while I like it to try to open up the O more—wasn’t typical for this staff when they’re really trying to just pound which is their MO.

It almost seemed like they wanted to try different things while the game was early and score was either tied, or within one score. When the opponent went ahead by more than a score, or had gained momentum, LP went back to their bread and butter pounding, scored pretty much at will, and then went back to different plays.

The D gave up big plays near the end of both games and put them a score or less behind in both games, and coming from behind with little time left isn’t their forte.

3 hours ago, Coachbearoso said:

I’ve been saying I’d like to see them use their big TE more and also some quick outs, slants & delayed screens. High pct. throws to get their talent in space and get D to back off a little. A deep chunk is fine every once in a while. But LP’s QB isn’t the most accurate, or have a great arm. He’s a good game manager & typically doesn’t turn the ball over. I’ve seen some of that in the first two games. But, they really need to practice them more in games. Even if they don’t win the game.

The game you remember was at Tully in 2011. And yes…Craig James was a one man show. RB, LB & punter. He may get a lot of the credit. But, y’all’s D that year was outstanding. I think that was what was more important for your SC. Stratford was—and still is—a very underrated undefeated State Champ in ‘78 IMHO.

3 minutes ago, CS. said:

What kind of size do you guys have on both lines? 

Pretty similar to y’all from what I’ve seen on video. The OL is good size. Good footwork. D is about average. Secondary—and LB’s for that matter—are on the smallish side to me.

On a side note, I’m afraid you won’t see a crowd the size of the last time these teams played—even if the stadium could hold them all. Seems like that game had almost 35,000 of purple & orange if memory serves.

I think even the LP fans that can physically travel to games are getting tired of traveling every week.

1 hour ago, CS. said:

On the "for fun" side of things - Dave Campbell shows PNG a 17 point favorite.  

Cal preps computer projection shows 38-17 in favor of the Indians. 

Are you looking at cal prep 2023 game. Cal prep does not usually project scores until the end of sept. Or first of oct.

13 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

Sept.15 is when they start projecting scores

CALPREPS.COM

This is the hidden content, please

PROJECT A MATCHUP
regular season (neutral field)
[2024] Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) 38 (90%), [2024] La Porte (TX) 17 (10%)
playoffs (neutral field)
[2024] Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX) 42 (97%), [2024] La Porte (TX) 13 (3%)