Crosby vs FB Marshall

Only question about this one is can Crosby score a single TD? 

The Crosby defense for how much they are on the fields have looked like an well above average side. The offense is abysmal from linemen, QB, WR play, and especially play calling and scheme we are inept. 

I predict Crosby walks into district play with 14 total offensive points. 

Serious question. What has happened to Crosby? They made it all the way to state not to terribly long ago. Any Crosby fans can share some input? PNG and Crosby played some amazing football games. They had some amazing teams just a few years ago. I know one day the wheel will spin and they will be back, just curious what is going on currently. 

1 hour ago, prepballfan said:

Serious question. What has happened to Crosby? They made it all the way to state not to terribly long ago. Any Crosby fans can share some input? PNG and Crosby played some amazing football games. They had some amazing teams just a few years ago. I know one day the wheel will spin and they will be back, just curious what is going on currently. 

Someone can correct me, but I thought it was financial mismanagement driving off two stellar coaches in a row

1 hour ago, Rez said:

Someone can correct me, but I thought it was financial mismanagement driving off two stellar coaches in a row

You can sort of make that argument for Riordan leaving but I personally think it was something else, it just happened to coincide with the financial mismanagement timeframe. The superintendent and her ego ran off Prieto though. 

Prieto asked for things to improve the program and she balked at it, ego tripped and Coach P was gone. Then the genius hired Willis and gave him most of the stuff Prieto was asking for, smh. While we’re still not where we need to be, we wouldn’t be paying Willis the 6th highest salary in the Houston area if we were hurting. 

3 hours ago, prepballfan said:

Crosby’s superintendent hiring Joe Willis is the problem. I was vehemently against it when we hired him because his approach to the game does not fit the personnel the Crosby community produces. There are a lot of people on this site who had no idea what they were talking about trying to correct me on that. If you get your butt kicked with multiple SEC kids on the roster then you have no shot with just BigXII and C-USA kids which he’s proven to be true. 

He runs a system that nullifies any athletic advantages we have at the skill positions. Instead he still takes the Cedar Park approach which relied heavily on being dominant at the line of scrimmage. That’s fine when you average 6’3” and 285lbs across the offensive line the way they did when Crosby played them in the semifinals, we don’t have that and never have. His system requires the kids to process a lot of information, especially on defense. This makes the kids play extremely slow and makes us look like “we don’t have the athletes we used to”. 

Willis calls plays and is terrible at it. With the system being bad I’m not sure it makes a lot of difference what he calls though? One example from last week is running the ball multiple times on 3rd and long yet choosing to call a pass play on 4th and inches which resulted in a goal line interception. He relies extremely heavily on his RB and now that Fontenot isn’t there to substitute in when we need a 3rd and short conversion his play calling looks even worse. I bet we already have close to 15 three and outs through the first two games. 

Practice is slow and boring and he doesn’t inject any excitement into the kids because he’s pretty low energy himself. As far as the staff my opinion is that there are only two real “football guys” on the sideline besides Willis. I think most of the guys he hired need a lot more seasoning. It’s just all around bad now, hopefully the superintendent makes a change after this year but her ego is so big that I’m not sure she will be willing to admit failure.

Crosby's district isn’t very good so we might finish in 4th place at which time she may try to sell “improvement” to the interested parties and allow Willis to screw over another year of Crosby’s talent. Crosby may be 6A after next year, we need to get someone in here who has the ability to connect with our kids and the willingness to build a program. 

59 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Crosby’s superintendent hiring Joe Willis is the problem. I was vehemently against it when we hired him because his approach to the game does not fit the personnel the Crosby community produces. There are a lot of people on this site who had no idea what they were talking about trying to correct me on that. If you get your butt kicked with multiple SEC kids on the roster then you have no shot with just BigXII and C-USA kids which he’s proven to be true. 

He runs a system that nullifies any athletic advantages we have at the skill positions. Instead he still takes the Cedar Park approach which relied heavily on being dominant at the line of scrimmage. That’s fine when you average 6’3” and 285lbs across the offensive line the way they did when Crosby played them in the semifinals, we don’t have that and never have. His system requires the kids to process a lot of information, especially on defense. This makes the kids play extremely slow and makes us look like “we don’t have the athletes we used to”. 

Willis calls plays and is terrible at it. With the system being bad I’m not sure it makes a lot of difference what he calls though? One example from last week is running the ball multiple times on 3rd and long yet choosing to call a pass play on 4th and inches which resulted in a goal line interception. He relies extremely heavily on his RB and now that Fontenot isn’t there to substitute in when we need a 3rd and short conversion his play calling looks even worse. I bet we already have close to 15 three and outs through the first two games. 

Practice is slow and boring and he doesn’t inject any excitement into the kids because he’s pretty low energy himself. As far as the staff my opinion is that there are only two real “football guys” on the sideline besides Willis. I think most of the guys he hired need a lot more seasoning. It’s just all around bad now, hopefully the superintendent makes a change after this year but her ego is so big that I’m not sure she will be willing to admit failure.

Crosby's district isn’t very good so we might finish in 4th place at which time she may try to sell “improvement” to the interested parties and allow Willis to screw over another year of Crosby’s talent. Crosby may be 6A after next year, we need to get someone in here who has the ability to connect with our kids and the willingness to build a program. 

Excellent points, hopefully Crosby doesn’t suffer as long as Dayton did!

15 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Surely Willis will stop his own bleeding by retiring again after this year. Surely. 

20 hours ago, prepballfan said:

Coaching really matters. As you stated, Crosby just had some deep playoff runs, followed by terrible seasons.  What changed ?  The coaches. 
PNG hired a new coach about the same time. They hired the right coach. 

55 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Surely Willis will stop his own bleeding by retiring again after this year. Surely. 

You would hope but I'm not really sure? I think both of his kid are juniors and he's from somewhere not too far from Crosby so taking this job was coming back closer to home for him. On the business side of it he may have more time left on his contact so if he doesn't retire Crosby's only option may be to reassign him? With him being reassigned and Crosby most likely having to retain the bulk of his assistants until he's fully out, I'm not sure the job would be as attractive as it normally is. Just a continuing domino effect of poor administrative management of the athletic department. 

21 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I hope they get it right. Hope to see Crosby of old.

As a coach of 40 years experiencing the Houston area and some good years at Crosby, I agree with 14.2, 💯
The problem with a lot of coaches is they defend other coaches no matter what. And that has hurt our profession. And I’m talking about the Texas High School Coaches Association who often cover up poor or bad coaching with good old boys, or even worse coaches who actually hurt kids. Yeah it goes on, but you never hear about it because school districts don’t want to get a bad wrap.

To me, it goes in this order for success at the high school level

1) great  head Football Coach who is also a good man ( very important in my book)

2) great defense coordinator

3) solid offensive scheme 

4) Great quarterback, and running back

5) all other athletes on defense

again, I would like to say that the quality of Head Coach is out there in Texas is great, it may be better than most states. I’m in Louisiana now and I plan on going watching some high school football around here. But Louisiana is a different animal because you got so many private schools and so many athletes that get scholarship to private schools. Texas is very unique. 

I became a coach because my father served in Nagasaki and had radiation and chemical poisoning which made an alcoholic. So my father was my Football Coach who became the head coach at Waco.Midway one of the most successful in central Texas history, Kent Bachtel.  

But unfortunately, just like it is in the construction petrochemical and business industry. A lot of good old boys, hire good old boys. You never really know who is in charge of hiring because it differs in each job.. sometimes a committee has power, sometimes a soup, sometimes the owner of the Chevrolet dealership has the power! 
seriously it changes with every hire.  But if you don’t get it right, you can screw up a great system.

FYI, of the 11 head coaches who might work for as an assistant, coach, assistant, Head Coach or defense coordinator, two were great men, and both were very successful at training, young men to strong men, and also by wins on the scoreboard. The other nine, seriously, if they were on the ground burning, I wouldn’t urinate on the stop the fire. And I’m not exaggerating. But they kept getting head jobs because they were in the old boy network names here in Southeast Texas. But they taught young boys— not good things but they could sell themselves to the superintendent, board or public. See Tom Herman , Jimbo and Irving Meyer as examples. Sad but true