Barbers Hill (48) @ Deer Park (50) - FINAL

jdawg03

36 minutes ago, mc36 said:

#bringbackcowgill

history repeats itself again…. Offense puts up the #’s and the defense has no answer. Battles has been and is in over his head! 

Nah, I disagree! This D is better than any Cowgirl had! He had some good players, but top to bottom, this D is better than any we have had in a very long time, IMO! 1st DP td on trick play was just a tough one. 2nd DP td, the ref in the center of the field took out 2 and maybe 3 defenders in pursuit when runner reversed field. The 3rd DP td was a result of the boneheaded muffed punt on the 4 yard line.

The boys played hard and I’m more frustrated with play-calling to start 2nd 1/2. DP made a great defensive adjustment to shut down the off tackle play that was gashing them, but for some reason, we kept trying time and time again for mostly no or negative yardage. 

Should have been a W, but coulda/shoulda, right?  Buckle down next week for the 4th 6A team to start the season and get after it Eagles!

These Coaches couldn’t win a close game if they had to. From now on if we go into OT I say just forfeit and move to the next game. We get up by 7 with 9 minutes left and start milking the clock? We seem to never play to win just try to play not to lose when it’s tight. Running the ball up the middle for little to know gain and always putting your QB in 3rd and long doesn’t help either…oh well I’m just rambling now ,but this is getting old fast.

Last week we struggled against a Manvel team we should have easily put away. I said then we HAVE to fix the special teams. They killed us last week but we got away with it. This week I looked for vast improvement but it got even worse. In first half we gave away 14 points. Snap over punters head (again) and fumbled a kick return inside the 5. Thats 14 points given away. Should have been BH 14-7 at half but it was 21-14 DP.

At end of regulation our game winning FG was blocked with 3 sec. left. Another 3 given away for a total of 17 points surrendered. If just ONE of the special teams mistakes don't happen, we win for sure. The O and D did a good job. Our special teams are terrible, they kept the team in a bind all night long. Its critical now. If we don't fix the special teams we have a bad season ahead. We also have to develop a real killer instinct to finish an opponent off. We don't have that yet. We are capable of winning but we have to execute and finish. Clock is ticking. Just one more week to get it right.          

Offensive playing calling is definitely a head scratcher. At some point coaches have to tell QB to keep the ball on the read option. It was open all night for huge yardage. I thought defense did good except for last 8 minutes of the game. I think they got tired.

as mentioned in other posts, we gave DP the ball inside our 20 twice of muffed punt return and a snap over the punters head. We didn’t convert hardly any 3rd downs due to poor play calls and inaccurate passes. The D gave up 50, but 28 points were OT and two give me’s on botched plays. This game should’ve never been close. I would even say atleast 49-21 should’ve been the score. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Let’s see what the coaches can come up with.

As a point of a view from someone watching BH for first time last night I thought the play calling was good.  You gave yourself a chance to win the ball game with a field goal with time expiring and not giving back the ball to an offense that was gashing you in the second half.  Defense looked really tired in second half.  I just think your not going to win a game when you have the following:

Blocked punt, blocked field goal, missed field goal, snap over the head of the punter, and a muffed punt inside the 5.  Not going to win very many games doing that.  Also #2 wow that young man is special he has a different gear than anyone else that was on the field last night. 

I am thinking the coaches might have instructed the QB to slide early and not take any more hard hits. Very early in the game he slid down and way after he was down a DP LB launched at him and speared him helmet to helmet so hard it knocked our QB's helmet off. I don't know how that DP LB was not ejected for targeting. It was a textbook example of targeting, Then later he got hit again losing his helmet a 2nd time. So, I am just speculating, he seemed very tentative after that. He would hook slide 5 yards before anyone was even close. Maybe the coaches told him to do so to avoid injury. Just a thought.   

On 9/14/2024 at 10:26 AM, easttexiasbias said:

As a point of a view from someone watching BH for first time last night I thought the play calling was good.  You gave yourself a chance to win the ball game with a field goal with time expiring and not giving back the ball to an offense that was gashing you in the second half.  Defense looked really tired in second half.  I just think your not going to win a game when you have the following:

Blocked punt, blocked field goal, missed field goal, snap over the head of the punter, and a muffed punt inside the 5.  Not going to win very many games doing that.  Also #2 wow that young man is special he has a different gear than anyone else that was on the field last night. 

To be clear I agree with this post. 90% of the time the BH coaching staff gets it right, but the thing that has bit us in the butt is close games. With everything that went wrong on the field we still were in a position to close the game out! I'm not sure what happens on those sidelines during these moments, but we seem to lose our minds. We start playing conservative with way too early in the game with small leads, out play calls come in to late rushing the QB and it just seems like we abandon everything that got us to that point. Anyway, I hope we can learn from this game and it makes us better going forward.