La Porte (35) @ Port Neches-Groves (49) - FINAL

jdawg03

4 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

A win is a win, but McDaniel is going to lay into some kids over the bye week.  Not a typical performance from the PNG D

LP’s attack is nothing to sneeze at. Y’all played them about as well as others. LP actually came to try to win tonight. They’ll work it out for district next week, and y’all will be okay. Good team.

4 minutes ago, Rez said:

Good game LP. I think both teams come away with a lot to work on. Exactly what you want from a preseason game. 

Agree. A little worried about LP’s TO’s this year. Not usually a big issue. But, seems they’ve had about 3/game this year. Not good. Also, need those D players back. Didn’t know we were missing that many.

Y’all should be fine & I saw no injuries on PNG side. Always good news. Clean game. LP usually plays clean, and I assumed PNG would with a Joseph at the helm.

Hopefully, coaches have this set for next year also. Good game before district play.

5 minutes ago, OlDawg said:

Agree. A little worried about LP’s TO’s this year. Not usually a big issue. But, seems they’ve had about 3/game this year. Not good. Also, need those D players back. Didn’t know we were missing that many.

Y’all should be fine & I saw no injuries on PNG side. Always good news. Clean game. LP usually plays clean, and I assumed PNG would with a Joseph at the helm.

Hopefully, coaches have this set for next year also. Good game before district play.

It would be cool to help LP break in that new stadium 

If I remember right, LP's #3 scored all 35 of LP's 35 points.  But it wasn't a one man show, entirely. There were a few key passes and some scrambling by the LP QB.  Big O-Line.  An aside ... there sure seems to be a lot of area teams with big O-lines this season. 

Hopefully PNG inside LB #43 will be able to play when district play begins. He's a 3rd year starter, a leader, and they need him.  Not to take anything away from the inside LBs tonight, they played hard but are still improving.  The PNG offense really stepped up and found their game tonight, and PNG sure needed it.  

20 minutes ago, 1970 said:

If I remember right, LP's #3 scored all 35 of LP's 35 points.  But it wasn't a one man show, entirely. There were a few key passes and some scrambling by the LP QB.  Big O-Line.  An aside ... there sure seems to be a lot of area teams with big O-lines this season. 

Hopefully PNG inside LB #43 will be able to play when district play begins. He's a 3rd year starter, a leader, and they need him.  Not to take anything away from the inside LBs tonight, they played hard but are still improving.  The PNG offense really stepped up and found their game tonight, and PNG sure needed it.  

Barnes had 3. Sandolph had 2. Easy to mistake them as all 3 (including Bright, the Jr. #4) are similar builds.

Barnes i3) s the deceptive speedster with moves. Sandolph (6) is the Jr. with more of a direct style. Bright (4) is the Jr. who is more straight ahead, but can pass catch as well. The QB (13) Saenz is also a Jr. He actually did well tonight. The tipped pick 6 wasn’t on him.

The freshman WR I’m excited about is #10. Still wish they’d incorporate the TE a play or two in the passing game. He’s had a couple drops, so they may be skittish to use him in a big way still. He’s still only a sophomore.

Yes. Hope all injured players get back for district play. Games start counting now.

13 minutes ago, OlDawg said:

Barnes had 3. Sandolph had 2. Easy to mistake them as all 3 (including Bright, the Jr. #4) are similar builds.

Barnes i3) s the deceptive speedster with moves. Sandolph (6) is the Jr. with more of a direct style. Bright (4) is the Jr. who is more straight ahead, but can pass catch as well. The QB (13) Saenz is also a Jr. He actually did well tonight. The tipped pick 6 wasn’t on him.

The freshman WR I’m excited about is #10. Still wish they’d incorporate the TE a play or two in the passing game. He’s had a couple drops, so they may be skittish to use him in a big way still. He’s still only a sophomore.

Yes. Hope all injured players get back for district play. Games start counting now.

I was sort of surprised, but relieved, that LP chose to punt on 4th down with ~ 5 mins-or-so remaining in the game. PNG's last big TD run afterward sealed it. 

8 hours ago, 1970 said:

I was sort of surprised, but relieved, that LP chose to punt on 4th down with ~ 5 mins-or-so remaining in the game. PNG's last big TD run afterward sealed it. 

I was surprised as well. But, coaches had their reasons, and they typically call a good game.

The game was won/lost (as usual) on TO’s. LP’s early fumble after the 60+ yard run to y’all’s red zone, the TO on downs on 4th & 8 from y’all’s 25ish, and the tipped pick 6 coming out of halftime. The Dawgs have to clean up the TO’s. They’re uncharacteristic this year so far.

I think PNG will be fine. You probably won’t see another attack like LP for a long time—or the rest of this year.

I think LP’s RB’s have a contest to see who can make their legs look like the biggest tree.😂😂

Told y’all arm tackles wouldn’t cut it ahead of time for either team.

Knew this one was going a tough one for La Porte. Throw in a couple players out due to injury and it makes it even tougher. But hey they had the lead for a good part it looks like. Hard though to keep a good team like PNG down for long though. These are the kind of non district games more teams should schedule. 

1 hour ago, OlDawg said:

I was surprised as well. But, coaches had their reasons, and they typically call a good game.

The game was won/lost (as usual) on TO’s. LP’s early fumble after the 60+ yard run to y’all’s red zone, the TO on downs on 4th & 8 from y’all’s 25ish, and the tipped pick 6 coming out of halftime. The Dawgs have to clean up the TO’s. They’re uncharacteristic this year so far.

I think PNG will be fine. You probably won’t see another attack like LP for a long time—or the rest of this year.

I think LP’s RB’s have a contest to see who can make their legs look like the biggest tree.😂😂

Told y’all arm tackles wouldn’t cut it ahead of time for either team.

We play Huntsville in 3 weeks they are similar, not the same but similar in the way they play ball. Coach Southern is a great coach at Huntsville and always has them playing really good football. Not sure they have the size up front as LaPorte. LaPorte is exactly what we needed. I watched the entire LaPorte game against Deer Park last week online. DP attacked differently than we did offensively but to give LaPorte credit Dps defense looked just like ours tonight they could not tackle LaPorte's RBs in the same way we couldn't. They would get their hands on them but could not get them down. LaPorte's team is a very good football team. In reality a little bit more defense and taking better care of the ball and they would be tough for most teams in 5aD1 to beat. Hats off LaPorte you were exactly what PNG needed. I could go deeper into the X's and O's but no need to bore everyone. Great game LaPorte I take my hat off to you. ALso for those who have to play LaPorte they never quit. Even when the game was likely unwinnable they played as if they were going to win anyways, They are a team you have to play for four quarters, LaPorte good luck the rest of the way.