Bridge City (28) @ Lumberton (7) - FINAL

jdawg03

1 hour ago, Split Down The Bayou said:

Likely the case, like you said it's not their goal.

The weaker district thing is true, but a better fit for BC is it not? Idk why people complain about it so much it allows BC to be competitive. It affects no one from the original district. 

When I said "not a deep playoff team", I was expressing that they are a playoff team in 4A-D1 but won't be for long. Trying to give a realistic opinion of BC because it seems like people think they're hot garbage or the best team in the area🤣 Neither of which is the case

Actually, it did affect those 4 teams. Had BC, HJ and Liberty stayed in the district, HF, Jasper, Silsbee and WO-S would not have had to scramble to schedule a 5th (maybe even 4th) non-district game. When you are just a 6 team district, getting a 5th non district opponent is difficult.

With Shepherd and Tarkington moving up that helped fill the district but had they not, that district would have been staring at having a 4 team district. Then having to find two more non district games.

Trust me, having those three schools opting up affected the other 4 schools.

Just now, FALCONS2026 said:

I think whoever wins the district is gonna have a hard time with the 4th place team in the first round but the second round should be much easier. You won't catch the district 9 winner until the third round.

Agreed. I was remembering back when we played schools like Wheatley in the first round.

42 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Actually, it did affect those 4 teams. Had BC, HJ and Liberty stayed in the district, HF, Jasper, Silsbee and WO-S would not have had to scramble to schedule a 5th (maybe even 4th) non-district game. When you are just a 6 team district, getting a 5th non district opponent is difficult.

With Shepherd and Tarkington moving up that helped fill the district but had they not, that district would have been staring at having a 4 team district. Then having to find two more non district games.

I wonder if a new rule will be implemented from UIL after this. Certainly should be visited 

42 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Difference is, they (L-Train) did it in the district they were assigned, and it wasn't "way back when" either... Just sayin. And it was more than a single "decent" season. The Cards started their Build Back Better campaign after "opting up" then playing down and beating the likes of Buna & Kirbyville and before district even started.

Maybe they should trounce the 4A-D1 district (which is possible) and eventually go back "down" to prove a point and be successful there too. Now THAT would be interesting...

I'm talking about 2007.  Before you were on the site, unless you had a different name then.  The people who were in the football forum back then will remember how silly it got for a minute.

1 hour ago, Split Down The Bayou said:

It was perfect timing for me, I'd never thought I'd be pulling for BC as an Orangefield alum. I've got family playing for BC now, so naturally I root for them.

On another note "fled" is a very accurate description, but it doesn't bother me as much as I see it bothers others. BC is not near the level of program as WOS, Silsbee, HF (In recent years), and Jasper. Opting up to a District where everyone, including the players, think they have a shot only benefits the team. 

I know what BC is/isn't and some of the claims about them are crazy. BC IS much better than last year, but they are not a deep playoff team from what I've seen so far. Do I think they would beat WOS, Silsbee, HF and/or Jasper? It wouldn't surprise me if they beat one of them, but I don't think they do. However, I don't think it would be blowouts week in and week out like last year.

If/When BC is legit, no-one will have to say it.

If everyone had this approach y'all would've never even seen me in a BC thread.

3 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

It’s a long shot for the 1 seed in this district to beat the 4 seed in bi district. 

Time will tell. I think it's more of a toss up than long shot. But I've been wrong before so it wouldn't be the first time I've missed on a prediction. I don't think our district is as bad as everyone else does. I definitely think it's near the bottom, but no way it's the worst in the state. 

10 minutes ago, setxathlete14 said:

I wonder if a new rule will be implemented from UIL after this. Certainly should be visited 

Opting up should only be for traveling issues. Should not be for competitive issues.

Many football experts across the state disagreed with allowing schools to do that. 

I agree, there should be a travel, financial hardship to allow opting up. Shouldn't be an open option.

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

Opting up should only be for traveling issues. Should not be for competitive issues.

Many football experts across the state disagreed with allowing schools to do that. 

I agree, there should be a travel, financial hardship to allow opting up. Shouldn't be an open option.

They took advantage of the loophole i assume 

18 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I'm talking about 2007.  Before you were on the site, unless you had a different name then.  The people who were in the football forum back then will remember how silly it got for a minute.

Yep, I remember. I was under a different name then. I announced the games back then at Raider Stadium, Lol.

1 hour ago, FALCONS2026 said:

I think whoever wins the district is gonna have a hard time with the 4th place team in the first round but the second round should be much easier. You won't catch the district 9 winner until the third round.

Pine Tree or Lindale most likely. Not a great matchup for anyone in this district.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I didn't take scheduling into consideration, was mainly talking about seeding/postseason. 

But I imagine that BC, HJ, and Liberty would have been denied had Tarkington and Shephard not moved up, but who knows.

22 minutes ago, Split Down The Bayou said:

I didn't take scheduling into consideration, was mainly talking about seeding/postseason. 

But I imagine that BC, HJ, and Liberty would have been denied had Tarkington and Shephard not moved up, but who knows.

A school has to opt up before the districts are announced.

Snapshot numbers were already announce so most had an idea by realignment time but still you have to officially opt up before the districts are aligned.