Png at Huntsville

lcm93

If you had asked me in the 3rd quarter yesterday, I would have guessed Huntsville by 3 scores. It’s a toss up for me now. I think Huntsville is better on defense than LC. It goes without saying our defense needs to be better. Huntsville has a good qb, but not as good as Eli Marcos. Huntsville has two stellar RBs, including one freshman who might be the fastest kid in the district. 

Last night was a battle between 2 of the BEST O-Lines in the region, possibly all of 5A div II!!  
As far as Huntsville, no doubt they have a GREAT defense and 2 speedsters at RB…just not sure about their O-line or passing game.  I think it’ll come down to which PNG team from last night shows up…mistakes in the 1st half pretty much handed LC 21 points so take those away and score probably wouldn’t have been that close because we came out and held them to 2 scores in the 2nd half!  

Gonna be another close one. I was more impressed with Huntsville than LC last season, but that was of course last season. This season it seems that all of the O-lines are big, and the running backs are all speedsters. Hopefully that last PNG defensive stand at the end of the game, and the 4th down sack, helped the defense to turn a corner. 

How many LC drives were continued due to 11, that's right, 11 holding calls right in front of officials that were not called.   Hopefully PNG plays lights out defense against Huntsville & the officials actually officiate.  I expect the Indians to improve each week.   Huntsville game will be a good one to watch.  At least for the 2400 or so fans lucky enough to get tickets.   Small visitors side.

16 hours ago, png9mon said:

How many LC drives were continued due to 11, that's right, 11 holding calls right in front of officials that were not called.   Hopefully PNG plays lights out defense against Huntsville & the officials actually officiate.  I expect the Indians to improve each week.   Huntsville game will be a good one to watch.  At least for the 2400 or so fans lucky enough to get tickets.   Small visitors side.

how do you know it was a 11 times?

what is your definition of holding?

50 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

how do you know it was a 11 times?

what is your definition of holding?

Grabbing the jersey, arm and /or leg to stop the progress/advancement of a penetrating defensive player.  By the way,  8 of those 11 times holding the player for 3 solid seconds.  

2 hours ago, png9mon said:

Grabbing the jersey, arm and /or leg to stop the progress/advancement of a penetrating defensive player.  By the way,  8 of those 11 times holding the player for 3 solid seconds.  

THIS!

It was one of the more confusingly called games I’ve ever seen. The refs were determined to “let the kids play” while also insisting on inserting themselves into the game. Some of the calls, even the ones that went in our favor, seemed random and the refs appeared unsure of themselves.

And, I agree there were some serious holds that were missed. I don’t know if it was 11 holds, but there was at least one LC td (their last one) where there was an obvious wrap-up tackle from behind on the dline that sprung the runner. There probably aren’t many dbs in the state who can solo tackle Tyvonn Byers when he’s at top speed in the open field, so if the dline isn’t able to make plays at the line you basically have to pray he trips. There were several other obvious holds that made a difference. In fairness, both sides were probably holding on every play once the refs showed they weren’t going to call it. 

I’d very much hope we don’t get those refs for any more games. 

But, credit to LC. I’ve never seen receivers run routes so fast, or such a good high school qb.

5 minutes ago, Rez said:

It was one of the more confusingly called games I’ve ever seen. The refs were determined to “let the kids play” while also insisting on inserting themselves into the game. Some of the calls, even the ones that went in our favor, seemed random and the refs appeared unsure of themselves.

And, I agree there were some serious holds that were missed. I don’t know if it was 11 holds, but there was at least one LC td (their last one) where there was an obvious wrap-up tackle from behind on the dline that sprung the runner. There probably aren’t many dbs in the state who can solo tackle Tyvonn Byers when he’s at top speed in the open field, so if the dline isn’t able to make plays at the line you basically have to pray he trips. There were several other obvious holds that made a difference. In fairness, both sides were probably holding on every play once the refs showed they weren’t going to call it. 

I’d very much hope we don’t get those refs for any more games. 

But, credit to LC. I’ve never seen receivers run routes so fast, or such a good high school qb.

Agreed , we do not need these refs again. 

We (including me) seem to be still discussing the LC game, but I think it's wrt the upcoming Huntsville game. Hopefully there will be a good crew of refs.  I didn't keep count and I haven't watched a replay (it's not my job to watch replays), but there was plenty enough holding and blocking in the back going on, and on at least two of LC's long TD runs it was blatant and very visible.

At least finally 1 TD was called back for holding in the second half, so perhaps the PNG coaches got in the ref's ears pretty good during the first half, especially at the end of the first half when PNG had to score twice, on 3rd down and again on 4th down, in order to get the TD.

PNG coaches were not happy at all with the non calls, and neither was I when I saw at least one defender's eyes being poked.  Let's hope it's not that way in Huntsville, and it will be a good game. 

3 hours ago, png9mon said:

There are holds on every play.

Players are even coached to grab the jersey inside the frame of the defender. 

There are a lot more to holding than what people think.

51 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

There are holds on every play.

Players are even coached to grab the jersey inside the frame of the defender. 

There are a lot more to holding than what people think.

In 2022 I worked with a head referee from a crew in east Texas. He told me they won’t call any holding unless the hold is actually the thing that springs the runner or allows the pass to get made. That’s my standard - If you hold and it directly affects the run/pass. Anything else is just technicality.