Vidor (12) @ Bridge City (42) Q4 - Game Thread/Post Updates Here

jdawg03

59 minutes ago, vhs said:

… you are more clueless than i thought… that statement right there disqualifies you from the conversation … it’s obvious this is a personal thing for you… I think I’m close… I think it was you or your kid that didn’t get enough snaps

Hes always been bashing the program, like a troll when the teams down, and disappears after wins

9 minutes ago, VPfan2017 said:

Hes always been bashing the program, like a troll when the teams down, and disappears after wins

I dont have dog in the fight. But i would also like to see vidor in a different formation. Not because i think the slot t is not effective but maybe it would draw more attention to kids that would like to see more of a passing game. When i was in school running the wishbone our receivers would just block the whole game. They  end up quitting because its option football and we rarely threw the ball  

I don’t think coaching is the problem  Vidor football teams have always played hard and honestly had a few good seasons because of their hard work. Realistically in the history of Vidor pirate football you can probably count on one hand where they had much talent. Year in and year out they are not very talented. In fact most years they are overachievers due to their hard work

2 hours ago, Tiger33 said:

I dont have dog in the fight. But i would also like to see vidor in a different formation. Not because i think the slot t is not effective but maybe it would draw more attention to kids that would like to see more of a passing game. When i was in school running the wishbone our receivers would just block the whole game. They  end up quitting because its option football and we rarely threw the ball  

Yeah some of that goes on too i believe. I would love to run the offense that vanderbuilt was running. Alot of options with that style of play.

i still think the slot t can have a great passing game attached to it, but would involve having teams spread out (similar to what laporte runs, not sure if you want to call that a slot t or more so a west coast style scheme)

41 minutes ago, spidersal said:

I don’t think coaching is the problem  Vidor football teams have always played hard and honestly had a few good seasons because of their hard work. Realistically in the history of Vidor pirate football you can probably count on one hand where they had much talent. Year in and year out they are not very talented. In fact most years they are overachievers due to their hard work

I fully agree, i wish there was more participation, but like Tiger33 said, i think the style of play does discourage some kids to play for vidor, but if we wont open up the system, coach dubois needs to find a way to connect with those kids, and sell his vision in order to get participation. Thats one thing i liked about jeff. When i was there jeff was always talking to the kids, always in the halls. He was seen, and heard all the time and i think it definitely spurred some more involvement than what we are seeing. (Just my opinion in the involvement part) 

I have no kids in the system, and nobody i know at the school anymore so im not sure if dubois is the same way, but i do see dubois at all the football events, so hes definitely there and interacting with the lowerclassmen that way. (I only go to football and some baseball so i use that as my example) 

I like dubois, and hes a heck of a guy, so lets see what he can scheme up in the next few years and see what happens(:

Im confident about it, and i still encourage the people who are dissing on the program to go watch a Thursday night home game and formulate ur own opinion about the upcoming years of pirate football.

3 hours ago, Tiger33 said:

😂😂😂😂 im sorry this is just funny. Impersonating a guy and misspell his own name lol they wonder why criminals get caught lol

Well I can relate and also take umbrage with those who continue to bash me and try to taint my legacy, even though it’s been years since I left this state. 

Signed,

Mac Browne

On 10/5/2024 at 11:57 AM, VPfan2017 said:

Alot of unhappy people in vidor it seems

Just a down year guys, dont jump ship. Itll get rolling. It isnt going to be great every year. All programs have ups and downs, unless your carthage, north shore, duncanville, or the teams in 9-4AD1 lol

got some good athletes coming through the system

Cant blame the offensive scheme tho. The freshman group is running the same thing and is absolutely dominating teams. Just keep supporting the kids, and program, and let the cards fall how they may. 

The freshman actually throw the ball.  The freshman coaches actually let the players have a bit of fun by throwing the ball and not running the same 3 offensive plays!

My less than 2 cent take is that Vidor football needs excitement.  Needs change.... for players, fans, community, etc.  All these kiddos that play for Vidor see other teams from little league to the pros that strive to be a balanced offense...50/50 (run/pass) (or very close to being 50/50).  Vidor is 99.9/0.01 (run/pass).  Does that mean the slot-t has to go away completely?.... Nope.... Just be innovative.  Be creative.  

Where or how does change start?  Is it a new HC?  New OC?  New DC?  Do the players and fans need to be louder about wanting change?  

All I do know is that change needs to happen!  Cause if it doesn't... numbers are going to continue to decline!

58 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

My less than 2 cent take is that Vidor football needs excitement.  Needs change.... for players, fans, community, etc.  All these kiddos that play for Vidor see other teams from little league to the pros that strive to be a balanced offense...50/50 (run/pass) (or very close to being 50/50).  Vidor is 99.9/0.01 (run/pass).  Does that mean the slot-t has to go away completely?.... Nope.... Just be innovative.  Be creative.  

Where or how does change start?  Is it a new HC?  New OC?  New DC?  Do the players and fans need to be louder about wanting change?  

All I do know is that change needs to happen!  Cause if it doesn't... numbers are going to continue to decline!

I agree with definitely needing to be more creative, i think that in and of itself would bring numbers back up.

Mix in more formations, passing concepts, run a multiple scheme system like some schools do. Mix in the slot t with some spread, screens, make it more of a challenge to defend against

20 minutes ago, VPfan2017 said:

I agree with definitely needing to be more creative, i think that in and of itself would bring numbers back up.

Mix in more formations, passing concepts, run a multiple scheme system like some schools do. Mix in the slot t with some spread, screens, make it more of a challenge to defend against

Sad thing is.... NONE of this will happen until voices get extremely loud.  Parents, players (past and present) need to be heard.  School board meetings are a great place to start.

14 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Sad thing is.... NONE of this will happen until voices get extremely loud.  Parents, players (past and present) need to be heard.  School board meetings are a great place to start.

Yup that is true, but also do not think dubois is going anywhere. I think theres a plan in place, to slowly develop away from slot t 100% of the time, why else would the freshman class be working out of shotgun? Thats the only thing i can think of

Just now, VPfan2017 said:

Yup that is true, but also do not think dubois is going anywhere. I think theres a plan in place, to slowly develop away from slot t 100% of the time, why else would the freshman class be working out of shotgun? Thats the only thing i can think of

Year-n-year out (well just about year-n-year) the freshmen class does its own thing. And by that I mean they run the same offense as Varsity but they spend a little more time adding in a few wrinkles.  Hell, one of the coaches for the freshmen team is Stephenson.  He was a pretty damn good QB back in the middle 90s.  Threw for over a 1000yrds his senior year.... AND THATS BIG FOR VIDOR lol

Yeah i hear he is not well liked though… rumors as always get stirred up, and
I think they are working in a new offensive scheme truthfully, but starting with a new group of freshman instead of trying to implement it in one offseason with the varsity.

Theres rumor of jeff making a return, but think that rumor has been going around since the day he announced his retirement😂 not sure if theres any validity to that at all or just speculation 

Im hopeful for the next few years, dubois just has to find a way to get involvement from the rest of the kids in the school, and i think he can do it, but all we can do is give him time

9 minutes ago, VPfan2017 said:

Yeah i hear he is not well liked though… rumors as always get stirred up, and
I think they are working in a new offensive scheme truthfully, but starting with a new group of freshman instead of trying to implement it in one offseason with the varsity.

Theres rumor of jeff making a return, but think that rumor has been going around since the day he announced his retirement😂 not sure if theres any validity to that at all or just speculation 

Im hopeful for the next few years, dubois just has to find a way to get involvement from the rest of the kids in the school, and i think he can do it, but all we can do is give him time

IDC if you're liked or not.  You're hired to do a job... coach football/teach in a classroom.  If along the way you make a difference in a few kids' lives, then so be it but Dubois has been a coach for a long time.  He is not going to change now or next year or the year after and until change happens kids are not going to be excited about football.  The only change that will take place is kids moving out.

1 hour ago, Right99JOH said:

IDC if you're liked or not.  You're hired to do a job... coach football/teach in a classroom.  If along the way you make a difference in a few kids' lives, then so be it but Dubois has been a coach for a long time.  He is not going to change now or next year or the year after and until change happens kids are not going to be excited about football.  The only change that will take place is kids moving out.

Honest question: What were participation numbers like when Jeff Mathews was the head coach?

6 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Honest question: What were participation numbers like when Jeff Mathews was the head coach?

I'd be lying if I gave you an exact number, but from the eye test... remembering what the sidelines looked like when Mathews was HC, Mathews had better numbers. 

1 hour ago, Right99JOH said:

I respectfully disagree with that. These are kids. Ur job as a coach is to lead and inspire, not be a harda**.

If kids do not like a coach they will not play for them, which is why i left the program when stephenson was around, as did a few people i was coming up with. 
No disrespect to Stephenson, but his coaching style did not resonate with alot of the kids, some stuck it out to play for jeff, some did not.

Jeff was well liked, kids wanted to play for him.

Dubois may not have the buy in from some of the juniors and seniors, hence the lower number this year, but that could all change. Replacing jeffs personality, coaching and management style is a hard ask for ANYONE to come take this over after he left. 

People throwing a fit over a down year ragging on a coach who had to replace the heart and soul of vidor athletics, LITERALLY, is crazy. 
Theres going to be growing pains as we move on from the jeff mathews era, and people need to realize that. 
Dubois needs a few years to instill his vision and get buy in. 
Freshman group has ALOT of kids, as does JV, so obviously theres some belief in whats going on, just not at the varsity level for some reason.. hmmm

All i think that is happening is some fall out with some of the kids because of jeffs departure. Nothing at all to do with dubois, or the other coaches.

Think its strictly the change with jeff leaving, because i know some of the kids said they wont play for anyone but Jeff, and if thats their mindset no amount of trying to get buy in from the new coach is going to work.