Vidor (12) @ Bridge City (42) Q4 - Game Thread/Post Updates Here

jdawg03

53 minutes ago, VPfan2017 said:

All i think that is happening is some fall out with some of the kids because of jeffs departure. Nothing at all to do with dubois, or the other coaches.

Think its strictly the change with jeff leaving, because i know some of the kids said they wont play for anyone but Jeff, and if thats their mindset no amount of trying to get buy in from the new coach is going to work.

Those young men are tired of that offense, period.  They are tired of the constant grind of run blocking.  They are tired of getting beat up at RB.  They are tired of the same-ol-same-ol.  There needs to be some energy injected into the program!

45 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Those young men are tired of that offense, period.  They are tired of the constant grind of run blocking.  They are tired of getting beat up at RB.  They are tired of the same-ol-same-ol.  There needs to be some energy injected into the program!

Might be the case; it might not be. Regardless of offensive system the grind will be the same. “Tired of getting beat up at rb”, as if they wont get beat up at rb, or receiver in a spread style system. 
Football is a grind regardless of system. I believe the coaches will get it turned around and things will improve, numbers will go up, and things will settle down.

2 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

I'd be lying if I gave you an exact number, but from the eye test... remembering what the sidelines looked like when Mathews was HC, Mathews had better numbers. 

5 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

My less than 2 cent take is that Vidor football needs excitement.  Needs change.... for players, fans, community, etc.  All these kiddos that play for Vidor see other teams from little league to the pros that strive to be a balanced offense...50/50 (run/pass) (or very close to being 50/50).  Vidor is 99.9/0.01 (run/pass).  Does that mean the slot-t has to go away completely?.... Nope.... Just be innovative.  Be creative.  

Right. So if the numbers were better when Mathews was there, and they were running the old misdirection ground plays as they are now, then the need for excitement from a newly revamped offense might not be the key. I don't think a little freshness would hurt, but I don't thinks it's the only answer.

For most years, Vidor has only had so many tools in the toolbox - that hasn't changed much year in and year out. The key to a successful program is 3 fold:

A good coach that can get kids & community to buy-in (possibly the most important tenet)

Players with enough athleticism to be able to learn & execute whatever scheme the coach comes up with

Parents & community to back the coach & his program

Changing out the offensive scheme wouldn't hurt, but it's honestly not what's holding Vidor back.

5 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Right. So if the numbers were better when Mathews was there, and they were running the old misdirection ground plays as they are now, then the need for excitement from a newly revamped offense might not be the key. I don't think a little freshness would hurt, but I don't thinks it's the only answer.

For most years, Vidor has only had so many tools in the toolbox - that hasn't changed much year in and year out. The key to a successful program is 3 fold:

A good coach that can get kids & community to buy-in (possibly the most important tenet)

Players with enough athleticism to be able to learn & execute whatever scheme the coach comes up with

Changing out the offensive scheme wouldn't hurt, but it's honestly not what's holding Vidor back.

Agree with every point you make. Freshness wouldnt hurt, but buy in is important. Replacing jeff was going to be an uphill battle. 
i dont think alot of people realize what jeff was to vidor athletics, and how hard replacing him would be..

If jeff wanted to he could run for mayor and win, thats just how well liked he is by the community, and dubois has to find a way to win the support of the kids and community. Dubois is nice as can be, he just has to find a way to get support.

23 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I agree and disagree. 

I agree that a total new offense might not be the key, but a tweaking, adding new wrinkles to current offense can't hurt.

As far as the talent year in year out.... Vidor is never going to be loaded with talent or a juggernaut on offense or defense.  But Vidor does have kids that are very capable or throwing and catching...yes.

The people of Vidor (players included) are not wanting a team that throws 25-30 times a game.  They want a team that passes 8-12, 15 times a game.  Give opposing defenses something else to worry about. 

The Vidor football faithful welcome a change.  Welcome fresh faces.  Welcome new mentality. 

2 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

I agree and disagree. 

I agree that a total new offense might not be the key, but a tweaking, adding new wrinkles to current offense can't hurt.

As far as the talent year in year out.... Vidor is never going to be loaded with talent or a juggernaut on offense or defense.  But Vidor does have kids that are very capable or throwing and catching.

The people of Vidor (players included) are not wanting a team that throws 25-30 times a game.  They want a team that passes 8-12, 15 times a game.  Give opposing defenses something else to worry about. 

The Vidor football faithful welcome a change.  Welcome fresh faces.  Welcome new mentality. 

I agree with the passing idealogy. Give us a dozen or so passes a game. Open the playbook up and not be so predictable. 
throwback screens, short outs, curls and slants, and throw some deep crossing routes in the mix. Diversify the passing attack and let it compliment the running game

38 minutes ago, VPfan2017 said:

Might be the case; it might not be. Regardless of offensive system the grind will be the same. “Tired of getting beat up at rb”, as if they wont get beat up at rb, or receiver in a spread style system. 
Football is a grind regardless of system. I believe the coaches will get it turned around and things will improve, numbers will go up, and things will settle down.

Yes "tired of getting beat up at RB"... It's a different tackle when you're tackled in space by a corner or safety than being tackled by 3, 4, 5 linemen and LBs.  Depending on the coverage its easier on WRs to run off a corner or safety than having to be down in the mix blocking.

1 hour ago, Right99JOH said:

Yes "tired of getting beat up at RB"... It's a different tackle when you're tackled in space by a corner or safety than being tackled by 3, 4, 5 linemen and LBs.  Depending on the coverage its easier on WRs to run off a corner or safety than having to be down in the mix blocking.

Makes since but running between the tackles will result in the same thing tho, idk i guess we just look at this differently lol

im all for some new schemes and new styles, just need to work it in somehow