Clock Management

abPNUT

Ok, at first glance I thought this thread was going somewhere else.  Such as what happened in Huntsville last night. If you're the referee and the play clocks are malfunctioning, how are you supposed to handle that?  At one point early on the ref directed the press box to just turn the clocks off. I wasn't at the game, was just watching live stream on you tube, so I couldn't actually see the clocks. Reportedly they came back on but were out of synch. 

26 minutes ago, 1970 said:

Ok, at first glance I thought this thread was going somewhere else.  Such as what happened in Huntsville last night. If you're the referee and the play clocks are malfunctioning, how are you supposed to handle that?  At one point early on the ref directed the press box to just turn the clocks off. I wasn't at the game, was just watching live stream on you tube, so I couldn't actually see the clocks. Reportedly they came back on but were out of synch. 

I saw also. It was not handled well and it's not what I was thinking about when I started this thread.

I'm asking about coaching and the coach's role in using the clock as an edge. And, incidentally, PNG coach Jeff Joseph seems to be really good at it.

There's many different things to consider. Forcing TOs, staying in-bounds, running vs passing etc. 

It just seems boring but I think it's underrated.

4 hours ago, 1970 said:

I believe the refs are supposed to keep time on the field if the clocks aren’t working in that case.