Barbers Hill (17) @ Port Arthur Memorial (20) - FINAL

jdawg03

1 minute ago, Gametyme05 said:

The freshman still starting at QB? He's gonna be really good one day just think he's to young right now. They're more than capable to win the region. 

Yup the freshman still at QB1, their skill position guys are legit, their defense can be a bit shaky when playing a good opponent though. 

1 minute ago, Goslin said:

So why, exactly, did BH not go for the field goal at the end of the game?  I know they got down to the 2 and then got sacked twice but did they not have any time outs or did Coach Abseck lose track of the clock or something else happen, or what?

It reminded me of the Deer Park game. I'm not sure what they were doing. Still don't know why they passed the ball at the 2 in the 1st half when 26 was getting around 3-4 yards a carry. 

BH has no killer instinct. One of our posters lamented this when we lost to Deer Park in OT. If a game is going down to the wire, or into overtime BH will likely lose. A few years ago we lost to A&M Consolidated in the final seconds of a 2nd round game. Lost to Richland after blowing them out in the first half of 2nd round last year. etc. This is what playing a finesse style game gets you. Now think of the best wins BH had. Physically rammed the ball right down #4 FBM's throat and shocked the world! Blasted PAM last year with blood in our eye, Hammered Forney and McKinney North, etc. It can be done when BH plays wide open, full intensity, physical football.

If BH can rediscover that physical intensity, and let our big QB run ahead like a mad man instead of always looking for a hook slide well short of the stick, BH can reinvent themselves. I am NOT bashing the QB. He may be instructed to do all the hook slides, I don't know. I do know he is not a pure passer. He has a very stong arm but accuracy is a big issue. I also know he can plow ahead into a defense and make 2 yards almost every single time. Had that happened from the 2 at the end of the half, and again at the end of the game, I have no doubt BH wins. Don't overthink it, play to your strength! Come on BH, lets play Man-ball again!      

17 hours ago, pakronos said:

I also said they would struggle against everyone. Up until 4 min left that 4th place was looking like a real possibility. We ain’t beating Lufkin. So we get 3rd and a first rd exit… let’s not split hairs

I don't think they making a deep run, but no one in this district is losing in the 1st round. The 4th place team will most likely play Waltrip or Galena Park

20 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

BH has no killer instinct. One of our posters lamented this when we lost to Deer Park in OT. If a game is going down to the wire, or into overtime BH will likely lose. A few years ago we lost to A&M Consolidated in the final seconds of a 2nd round game. Lost to Richland after blowing them out in the first half of 2nd round last year. etc. This is what playing a finesse style game gets you. Now think of the best wins BH had. Physically rammed the ball right down #4 FBM's throat and shocked the world! Blasted PAM last year with blood in our eye, Hammered Forney and McKinney North, etc. It can be done when BH plays wide open, full intensity, physical football.

If BH can rediscover that physical intensity, and let our big QB run ahead like a mad man instead of always looking for a hook slide well short of the stick, BH can reinvent themselves. I am NOT bashing the QB. He may be instructed to do all the hook slides, I don't know. I do know he is not a pure passer. He has a very stong arm but accuracy is a big issue. I also know he can plow ahead into a defense and make 2 yards almost every single time. Had that happened from the 2 at the end of the half, and again at the end of the game, I have no doubt BH wins. Don't overthink it, play to your strength! Come on BH, lets play Man-ball again!      

I'm not sure who you are Separation Scientist, but you and I are on the same page entirely.  BH has not played tough, physical football for 4 full quarters in years (before the Gage hiring).  I feel it has 99% to do with how we work in the offseason.  I know we lift weights and spend a great deal of time lifting those weights and doing footwork drills, etc., ......but are we hurting and learning to fight through the pain and get to that next level and continue on?  I firmly believe in quality over quantity.  Do the coaches work the kids until exhaustion and then continue pushing them?  I know the answer.... they do not!  We practice in an indoor air conditioned taj mahal even when the weather is great.  It is much different than what the BH offseason program was in the nineties and early 2000s....and the programs of Katy and PNG of today.  We worked through multiple agility, plyo, mat drills, bleachers, hill training, weight training circuits until we were puking and after we finished non-stop motion for 50 minutes all groups would meet on the track to run a quarter for time.  If you didn't make the time you had to run it again.  We did this every day and would routinely test strength and speed (included a mile run for time...which hasn't happened at BH in years...yes, big boys can run a mile) ....and 90% of all athletes would improve in both strength and speed throughout the offseason.  This all took place in 4th period of the school day, and it got results.  We didn't have any big, sloppy dudes because they couldn't make it through the offseason (they lost weight and became hosses.... or quit) and our numbers were streamlined to only include those that really wanted to be there and put in the work.  One thing that didn't happen is we didn't have kids lay out injured on the field.  I do not remember many, if any, ever getting hurt or missing a game.  I contribute that to how we worked in the offseason.  Until we get the program back to this way of thinking and working, we will continue to be mediocre.  We have twice the athletes and numbers today than we did then so it would be fun to see the results.  It can be done.  Not sure it will be done.