Playing surfaces

Vini vidi

9 minutes ago, Vini vidi said:

Grass or turf playing surfaces. 
which and why?

Personally I prefer a grass field. 
Completely get why field turf is popular and all the reasons why but still like grass better

Not that it’s not a fair question, but it comes up almost every year. You did not follow your own advice. You said which surface (grass), but not why.

9 minutes ago, Vini vidi said:

Grass or turf playing surfaces. 
which and why?

Personally I prefer a grass field. 
Completely get why field turf is popular and all the reasons why but still like grass better

Grass, if it's maintained properly, which it hardly ever is.

Otherwise, field turf is the way to go.

I prefer grass, but I understand why turf works better for most schools.  I was a kicker for the football team, but soccer was where I excelled.  I'm so glad I didn't have to play 90% of my soccer games on turf like these kids today.  In football it makes the game quicker and keeps the field cleaner, but in soccer it speeds things up unnaturally and the bounces are horrible.  

22 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Grass, if it's maintained properly, which it hardly ever is.

Otherwise, field turf is the way to go.

Maintained properly is how the district chooses to keep the grass.  Back in the 70s a visiting coach to PNG asked how we play football in that "cow pasture."  referring to the fact that the grass was kept a little high so we were used to practicing in it, and the opponents were not.  So the question is, turf is fair for everybody, grass may not be!!!

11 hours ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

A lot of the young coaches don't know the joy of washing grass stains out of uniforms or lining the fields every week thanks to turf.

Wednesday after practice painting parties. 
now instead of grass and dirt those coaches are having to get black infill stains out

A good grass field is the best but good grass fields are nearly impossible to find. At a high school level you will never play on two grass fields that are equal, and hardly ever a truly good (level, flat, good grass,  well maintained) grass field. Especially at smaller schools where you are playing on weeds, dirt spots, crawfish holes, and uneven surface. Turf is best for high school is provides the most consistency across the board. Grass is better at higher levels because it can be maintained to the proper standard.

19 minutes ago, Looper said:

A good grass field is the best but good grass fields are nearly impossible to find. At a high school level you will never play on two grass fields that are equal, and hardly ever a truly good (level, flat, good grass,  well maintained) grass field. Especially at smaller schools where you are playing on weeds, dirt spots, crawfish holes, and uneven surface. Turf is best for high school is provides the most consistency across the board. Grass is better at higher levels because it can be maintained to the proper standard.

So turf doesn't have to be maintained?

Turf fields are easier to maintain, they are playable in wet weather.  The technology has gotten much better over the years.

Grass is better IMO, the downfall is maintenance, not all grass fields are the same or maintained the same. Wet and cold weather is a problem. Most schools do not over seed their fields, so you have a brown field with painted dirt later in the fall.  If you have ever played in the mud on a cold night, well you will remember it. I do. As far as early turf days, playing at Sam Houston, you might as well have been playing in the parking lot. 

IMO there are more ACL, high ankle sprain and turf toe injuries today with turf, than a player would have from playing on a well maintained grass field.

It's a toss up economically, however you do see more NFL and College teams reverting back to grass.  The turf technology will get better, just don't know how close the turf manufacturers can get to REAL grass.

Just now, PackAttack said:

Turf fields are easier to maintain, they are playable in wet weather.  The technology has gotten much better over the years.

Grass is better IMO, the downfall is maintenance, not all grass fields are the same or maintained the same. Wet and cold weather is a problem. Most schools do not over seed their fields, so you have a brown field with painted dirt later in the fall.  If you have ever played in the mud on a cold night, well you will remember it. I do. As far as early turf days, playing at Sam Houston, you might as well have been playing in the parking lot. 

IMO there are more ACL, high ankle sprain and turf toe injuries today with turf, than a player would have from playing on a well maintained grass field.

It's a toss up economically, however you do see more NFL and College teams reverting back to grass.  The turf technology will get better, just don't know how close the turf manufacturers can get to REAL grass.

It's not just injuries with turf. There are more staph infections with turf fields than there are with grass fields.