Playing surfaces

Vini vidi

2 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

If you get the kind that Woodville has, yes, it has to be maintained.

Yep, it was a rhetorical question. My point being that just like natural playing surfaces, artificial playing surfaces must also be maintained including disinfection. No different than grass, you can have a crappy turf field too if it is a "cheap" option and/or if it is not properly maintained. I'm gonna stick with a properly maintained grass field as my preference. Hands down. 

10 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Yep, it was a rhetorical question. My point being that just like natural playing surfaces, artificial playing surfaces must also be maintained including disinfection. No different than grass, you can have a crappy turf field too if it is a "cheap" option and/or if it is not properly maintained. I'm gonna stick with a properly maintained grass field as my preference. Hands down. 

My point about the turf in Woodville is that it does not have the black rubber pellets as a filler. That turf actually has wood chips/sawdust as it's filler. They actually have to water their turf so that it doesn't dry out and become a dust bowl.

First time I stepped foot on that field a few years ago, I was like "what is this stuff?" One of their coaches told me it was wood chips and they actually had to water it regularly.

The wood chip filler helps keep the field cooler than the rubber pellets.

30 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

My point about the turf in Woodville is that it does not have the black rubber pellets as a filler. That turf actually has wood chips/sawdust as it's filler. They actually have to water their turf so that it doesn't dry out and become a dust bowl.

First time I stepped foot on that field a few years ago, I was like "what is this stuff?" One of their coaches told me it was wood chips and they actually had to water it regularly.

Yep. I’ve heard of that. They actually suggest watering the rubber pellet fields too for certain instances. Temperature control I guess, I really don’t know.

59 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

That was the kind of turf I wanted PAISD to get for our practice field and stadium. 

2 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

The whole root of my original comment was that a good grass field is best, but the standard grass field you find at the high school level really isn't that great because they require a ton of care and attention.