Crosby vs La Porte

It's been a while since there was reason to to start a thread involving a Crosby game outside of complaining about the coaching. With both teams 4-3 on the season but coming into the game 4-0 in district play this one might be worth discussing. Teams are 1-1 since they've been in the district together with each team winning their home contest(La Porte's home game was at BH). This game will likely determine who gets to avoid a first round matchup with state ranked #6 College Station and a probably early exit. The loser of this game will still have an opportunity to finish in 2nd place and even win a share of the district championship with La Porte playing an undefeated Angleton next week and Crosby playing Angleton the week after. The district could very well end up in a three way tie for first place with Angleton, Crosby and La Porte all finishing 6-1 in district play. Fun few weeks to finish the season in 11-5A-D1

As far as the game goes it feels like a great matchup for this year's version of Crosby. La Porte's offense is run heavy and the strength of Crosby's defense is their front seven. Crosby has run the ball extremely well since district play has started, albeit against lower level competition, and based on what La Porte has shown on film personnel wise it looks like we should have continued success in that department. I think the key to the game from Crosby is getting La Porte in 3rd and 5+ situations where we can pick up stops on the run plays they'll try and some defended passes that will force punts in a potential lower scoring field position game. Crosby will also need to clean up some of the penalties and ball-handling from prior weeks if we want to give ourselves the best chance to win.   

As LP finishes up with Pasadena, this game—and the next vs Angleton—will determine PO seeding.

I like LP’s O in this one. But, they’ll need to protect the football, and minimize penalties. The unsung weapon for LP has been Special Teams. Again, I like LP in that.

Crosby has one main weapon—and he’s a good one. La Porte has four interchangeable RB’s they can trot in fresh at any time, and a QB who is starting to round into form as the staff has found the best way to use him. Underestimating LP’s passing attack has been a big mistake for previous opponents. LP is actually about 70/30 run/pass this year, and has shown the ability to move the ball consistently with the passing attack when the run is shut down. Although, the run has yet to be shut down by anyone this year. LP has gained over 200 yards rushing in every game this year.

I’ve only seen Crosby once this year. They looked very solid to me as they seem to have finally grown into the new scheme. Defensively, they’ve looked solid—although the competition is not as strong as LP’s to this point. I think they’ll be the best D LP has faced since Kingwood.

I think this will be a one score game—with the slight edge to LP’s O if both teams play to their recent norms.

Should be a good one. Even better if both teams come away injury free.

A little surprised this wasn’t a Pick ‘Em this week. It could be a very good ‘separator’ game. On paper, it could easily be a toss-up.