Nederland (24) @ Port Neches-Groves (21) - FINAL

jdawg03

3 hours ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

I wonder if Barrow watched the game 😁

Why would you wonder that?  Coach Barrow has a son on the coaching staff and his brother, so yeah, I’m sure he watched it and I’m sure he is glad Nederland won.  Anyone who knows Coach Barrow knows that he loves those kids and wants it for them as much as anyone.  Coach Rich is doing an amazing job and I hope it continues for a long time, but to act like Coach Barrow would put his own pride before the success of the players is just flat out wrong.

Two SETX rivalry games tonight.  One arguably the biggest rivalry in the state.  One game thread is replete with whining from both sides about officiating (and who benefitted more from bad calls). The other about which team made more plays, and the fans of the team who came up short giving kudos to the team who got the W. It’s almost like one game involved two teams who “have been there before.” 

No doubt great rivalries are fueled by two schools whose teams consistently leave it all on the field.  But honestly it’s the fans who are the constant, year after year.  And IMO, with all due respect to Permian- Lee (which is probably the second best I’ve personally witnessed), NO ONE does it better than you mid county folk.  Congrats to the Bulldogs - great win in a game that seems to spit out classic after classic. 

27 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Two SETX rivalry games tonight.  One arguably the biggest rivalry in the state.  One game thread is replete with whining from both sides about officiating (and who benefitted more from bad calls). The other about which team made more plays, and the fans of the team who came up short giving kudos to the team who got the W. It’s almost like one game involved two teams who “have been there before.” 

No doubt great rivalries are fueled by two schools whose teams consistently leave it all on the field.  But honestly it’s the fans who are the constant, year after year.  And IMO, with all due respect to Permian- Lee (which is probably the second best I’ve personally witnessed), NO ONE does it better than you mid county folk.  Congrats to the Bulldogs - great win in a game that seems to spit out classic after classic. 

Just 1 rivalry and it's this one.

8 hours ago, Ned N9 said:

Guess they never woke up🤣

You are definitely correct right there.  Congrats to the Nederland team, they came to play some football.  Great win for them last night, and especially for all of their 3-year starters.  

9 hours ago, spidersal said:

What a win for the Bulldogs Coach Rich and staff have the Bulldogs improving each week. Two outstanding teams. I look for PNG to come back just like the last 2 years after losses to PAM. The Dogs still have 2 very tough teams to play and PNG has 1

Put PNG will have to play SOC 2nd round if things stay the way they are right now in the district.

34 minutes ago, Steve M. said:

Put PNG will have to play SOC 2nd round if things stay the way they are right now in the district.

As of now, yes.  But this district is crazy.   Very hard to predict anything.  2 more big games next week should help clear the fog.  

They would possibly be state ranked if they would have beat Silsbee and remember they have 2 very tough teams left. Huntsville that is now in a must win to make the playoffs and Montgomery that is 4-1 in district   Nederland simply needs to keep improving each week. Huntsville has the best defensive team in the district. Brenham beat them by 4, PNG beat them by 3, and LC beat them by 5

These last 2 district opponents are very good, so simply continue to improve 

11 minutes ago, spidersal said:

They would possibly be state ranked if they would have beat Silsbee and remember they have 2 very tough teams left. Huntsville that is now in a must win to make the playoffs and Montgomery that is 4-1 in district   Nederland simply needs to keep improving each week. Huntsville has the best defensive team in the district. Brenham beat them by 4, PNG beat them by 3, and LC beat them by 5

These last 2 district opponents are very good, so simply continue to improve 

The silsbee game was mostly due to the punter spotting Silsbee 14 points

2 hours ago, Steve M. said:

Possible, but our region is no cake walk for sure. In one Area you have SOC in the other Texas High. Just have to battle and win. Either way what ever happens would be nice to have a Nederland Port Neches region match. Keep winning for here is the key.

I may have made a rush to judgement last night and feel the need to apologize to the players and fans of PNG. At the time, I didn’t realize that the field was being rushed by fans when the PNG players were walking off the field. I said it was unsportsmanlike and I was wrong. I believe strongly in sportsmanship and, let’s face it, in every sport from the pros down, everything has become “in your face” after every play. To me, personal celebration after making routine plays is a slap in the face to your teammates who, without them on the field, could you have still made the play? My love for the game keeps me viewing, so I have to endure it. Well, enough for my rant.

To all of the PNG faithful, I apologize for my rush to judgement.