***Lamar vs. Texas Tech/TT WINS 79-77/Comments***

Guest abovetherim

It is hard to complain but I wish Roc didn't call the last TO. Then he gave possibly the best basketball coach in history a chance to set up a defense. Lets see Roc 20 career wins versus The General near 900.

I would have called the play from the bench and let the players on the court decide the game at that point. JMO.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coachacola

It is hard to complain but I wish Roc didn't call the last TO. Then he gave possibly the best basketball coach in history a chance to set up a defense. Lets see Roc 20 career wins versus The General near 900.

I would have called the play from the bench and let the players on the court decide the game at that point. JMO.

The TV announcers said Roc called that timeout to get Todd in the game because he was slow getting to the table during the previous timeout.  Not sure if that's true or not, but either way it was a mistake.

Guest coachacola

How about the dunk in the first half by Sanders? 8)

I have the game on DVR so I'll be watching that dunk a few times again.  What I liked about this game is that our seniors seem to be coming out of their early season funk and playing better.  If they can at least get back to where they were last year and Nabors and Brown can keep improving, this team will only get stronger and stronger.

Guest abovetherim

I agree too and about Texas Tech, they aren't one of the better teams in the Big XII. I see them near the bottom of the Big XII standings. I also agree if this game was in Beaumont, the Cardinals would have won!

I  watched the first 2-4 minutes  of the game and I liked Lamar's aggressive defense. I was very impressed. But at the same time, I felt like I was watching two bad teams playing against each other. I sense on the offensive side, Lamar has a team of role players and no consistent threat to lead the team. JMO

Poor play call. Cards lose 77-79. We played a great game though.

We played very well BUT we lose AGAIN!!!!  DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!!!

We make some great plays and get it tied up..then what do we do????  Bring a double team right to Dawkins trying a dumb pick (and roll???) about 35 feet away from the basket????  What in the world was that????

Then, the last possession???  I have no clue what we were doing....we didn't even try any type of play.  They just passed it around the perimeter a couple of times.  I don't have a problem shooting a 3 and going for the win on the road but it was obvious that Tech was really concentrating on defending the 3 on that possession.  I agree too about the timeout (shouldn not have been called) especially with the 'play' we ran out of the timeout.  Apparently he called it to get Todd in the game for the last possession.  If I'm not mistaken, I don't think Todd even touched the ball on the possession???

Guest coachacola

Roc has stated that for this team to win it will be with defense.  They don't have any great scorers on the team.  Tonight Sanders lead LU with 13, with Nwevo, Dawkins and Barrow scoring 11.  LU will probably win and lose a lot of ugly games, and with their defense will make other teams look bad (like Rice).

I  watched the first 2-4 minutes  of the game and I liked Lamar's aggressive defense. I was very impressed. But at the same time, I felt like I was watching two bad teams playing against each other. I sense on the offensive side, Lamar has a team of role players and no consistent threat to lead the team. JMO

You should have kept watching.  The play got much better.  However, Lamar's defense wasn't nearly as good in the second half as it was in the first half.  Actually, they played great defense for about the first 10 minutes and then played about 5 more minutes of good defense the rest of the game.

Dawkins appears to have a great deal of talent and he would probably be our best 'go to' guy with the game on the line.  Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get a shot at the end of the game.  Tech has some good offensive players in Zeno, Roberson and that white kid..the guard.  Their interior defense in the first half was not very good.  It looked like they thought they would be able to play our inside guys straight man and that didn't work.  They changed in the second half to zone and doubling the post so we had no inside game the second half.

From what I saw, Tech is middle of the pack Big XII and LU will finish 3rd-8th in the SLC.  LU is still making too many silly mistakes and until we straighten those up we will not win these types of games.  I like Dawkin's and McThay's ability to handle the ball and speed things up.  However, they need to stop trying to force so many things.  If they can just play somewhat under control we may have a chance to finish 2nd or 3rd in conference.

Guest abovetherim

They only lost by two to SHSU in Huntsville and they are pretty good. The Centenary game is the only one I just shake my head in disbelief.

Roc has stated that for this team to win it will be with defense.  They don't have any great scorers on the team.  Tonight Sanders lead LU with 13, with Nwevo, Dawkins and Barrow scoring 11.  LU will probably win and lose a lot of ugly games, and with their defense will make other teams look bad (like Rice).

We've got good enough athletes to play good defense.  I guess it's just hard for those kids to play good defense the whole game.

Tech is a hard team to figure out. They have some impressive wins and then the next game they look like crap.

I didn't think Tech looked bad at all.  I thought they played a very good game.  They shot the ball well and played solid defense.  Their main weakness is they don't have any interior scoring threat.  That freshman, Roberson, was lights out from 3...he could flat out shoot.  And the Zeno kid was very difficult to defend..at least for us.  He is a slasher, 6' 5", and very quick.

The latter part of the first half, their interior defense was poor but I think that was because they were trying to play our post guys straight up man to man.  Knight changed that and our interior guys did nothing the second half.

(The follow slam by Sanders in the first half was VERY sweet!)

We've got good enough athletes to play good defense.  I guess it's just hard for those kids to play good defense the whole game.

My exact point! No great scorers on the team. But I agree with you that they are good enough athletes to hustle on defense. But, you win games by putting the ball through the hoop. I just don't see a dominant player on the team to carry them. Maybe things will turn around in conference play.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PressBox Stats
    Newest Member
    PressBox Stats

• It’s a fact.  Are you not bothered with those?  Big girl also has an issue with facts.  Must be a liberal thing!
    • That’s kinda over-simplifying matters.    Are you talking about local politics or the platforms of the DNC/RNC? They’re two completely different scenarios.    To be frank, a politician couldn’t get elected in Hardin County as a Republican… until 2010-2011 when the locals all switched to the R Party.    I think that the truest example of a Democrat is the late George Wallace, Governor of Alabama. He ran in 1958 against a staunch segregationist and lost big time. Both Dems, btw. He came back in 1962 as a hardcore opponent of integration and won handily, becoming the racist spokesperson for a South that wanted to remain segregated. By 1982 he won his last term as Governor of alabama, still as a democrat, but carrying over 90% of the black vote.    Who switched? Was it the party? The politicians? The people? All of the above, in all different directions and over a period of about 60 years.   The problem with arguments about switching is that there are no constants.  We all know that guy…. southern accent, white-headed flat top haircut, short sleeve western shirt with those old wrangler double-knit pants. He probably held public office all over the south, and he had some really crazy ideas about race…. Might not have been in the Klan, but knew a bunch of people who were or had been. And he voted 100% Democrat.     We can all say “yeah, and he became a Republican after the civil rights act was passed!” And we’d be wrong.  The truth is that those old ideals and ways of thinking pretty much died off.    The truth of the matter is that the civil rights act passed the senate with a 71-29 vote majority.  But it’s interesting to point out that the 71 “yes” votes were actually 27 Republicans and 44 Democrats voting “for” the civil rights act, with 6 Republicans and 21 Democrats voting against the Civil Rights Act.  So which party was in favor and which one opposed?   And now 60 years later, with an ideological split in America, both sides are trying to claim moral superiority and cast blame over history that, to be frank, we don’t understand.    But to be honest, the Democrat party of 2024 is not what it was… and neither is the Republican. Just because things are so black-and -white today doesn’t mean that they always have been. 
    • We wont win the series, but it would be nice to get a win today before heading to Baltimore. 
    • Like who?  Do you have any names of actual applicants? Asking because I have not seen a list of applicants. 
  • Topics