Hunsaker finally makes way to Lamar

Hunsaker finally makes way to Lamar

By Bob West

The Port Arthur News

BEAUMONT — In the spring of 1999, Lamar University was looking for a coach to upgrade its sagging basketball program. A Utah assistant named Dick Hunsaker, who had helped Ball State to the NCAA Sweet 16 in the early 1990s, thought he was the perfect guy to get the Cardinals back on track.

Unfortunately for Hunsaker, and for Lamar, this was to be another of those ill-fated coaching searches that came to define the school in both football and basketball. Maybe not as egregious as snubbing Tom Floyd in the late 1980s, but certainly a decision that turned out badly.

With LU financially strapped, Cardinal athletic director Dean Billick hired recently fired Marquette coach Mike Deane. Deane was selected not so much because he was the best available coach for the LU program, but because Marquette was going to have a foot the bill for a significant part of his contract.

We all know how that deal turned out.

Hunsaker, meanwhile, stayed at Utah, became its interim head coach the next season when Rick Majerus was sidelined by heart problems, led the Utes to the Mountain West Conference championship and was named the league’s Coach of the Year.

After Majerus returned, the former Weber State star left to take a flyer on a junior college in the process of becoming a four-year school and going Division 1 in basketball. That school, Utah Valley State, furnishes the opposition for Lamar’s final non-conference tuneup tonight at 7 o’clock in the Montagne Center.

Utah Valley State, now in the sixth year of a seven-year transition to Division 1, has had remarkable success playing as an independent. Hunsaker’s first five Wolverine teams were 104-43, topped by a 22-7 mark last year that was best record for an independent since Notre Dame’s 1985-86 season.

Along the way Hunsaker has been named Independent Coach of the Year three times. Other accomplishments include guard Ronnie Price, the nation’s third lead scorer in 2005, making it in the NBA. The team’s signature victory was on the road at Arizona State in the 2005-06 season.

“Accepting this job was the biggest leap of faith I’ve ever taken,†Hunsaker said Monday. “I loved Utah and wanted to stay in Utah and took a chance. Every coaching colleague I talked to tried to discourage me. Everybody said it was a road-kill job.â€

Hunsaker, who owns a career head coaching mark of 277-126 in 14 seaons as a head coach, has proved othewise. Although the 6-10 Wolverines have struggled a bit this season, he says that’s mostly due to a step up in the level of competition. He’s having no second thoughts.

“These have been the most enjoyable, most fun coaching years of my life,†he said.

UVS, which is located 40 miles south of Salt Lake City in Orem, Utah, is playing a schedule this season that includes the likes of Marquette, Arkansas State, San Francisco, UC-Santa Barbara, Boise State, Louisiana Lafayette and, of course, Lamar.

Hunsaker says he’s not fooled by Lamar’s 5-7 record.

“They have played a difficult schedule,†he said, reeling off BYU, Mississippi, Oral Roberts, Wyoming and New Orleans. “Sometimes you can schedule yourself into disarray. But it looks like they are starting to put it together.

“They have several good players. I’m familiar with Kenny Dawkins. I saw him play last year in junior college. Lamar Sanders is a load, a really difficult matchup. All those JC kids from Mississippi can play. I think it has probably taken a little time for the returning players and the new players to mesh.â€

Guest abovetherim

Don't always agree with what this sportswriter has to say but good article none the less. I know one thing, the Cardinals better be ready to play because this team is better than their record indicates

Don't always agree with what this sportswriter has to say but good article none the less. I know one thing, the Cardinals better be ready to play because this team is better than their record indicates

Man, I agree a lot with what he has to say.  This, to me, is another example of the poor hiring decisions we've made at LU.  Here's a guy that stepped in for RICK MAJERUS and was named coach of the year and we went with Deane instead???  If this guy could go 22-7 at UVS could you imagine the success he would have had here??  I agree with the coaches that were telling him he was crazy to take the job...how could you possibly think you could make that program into anything special???

Guest coachacola

It makes me sad how the previous administrations ran LU into the ground during the late 80's and 90's.  How could they make so many bad decisions?  I stopped following Lamar sports in the 90's because there was nothing to get excited about.  I think it's been remarkable how Jimmy Simmons and Billy Tubbs have turned things around.  It's now getting fun again to follow Lamar sports.

Let's give the credit of turning things around to Jimmie Simmons.  In case you did not notice the basketball program is nowhere near turned around. Jimmie Simmons has completely turned the school around though!

It makes me sad how the previous administrations ran LU into the ground during the late 80's and 90's.  How could they make so many bad decisions?  I stopped following Lamar sports in the 90's because there was nothing to get excited about.  I think it's been remarkable how Jimmy Simmons and Billy Tubbs have turned things around.  It's now getting fun again to follow Lamar sports.

I hung on with the basketball program thru most of Mike Deane's tenure...he was all I could stomach.  I was so disgusted at that point I couldn't even drag myself out there to watch any Billy Ball.

Simmons has done a fantastic job.  I hope that Roc is able to get the basketball program rolling.  And hopefully football will be back????

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RVLife
    Newest Member
    RVLife

• Friday @ 7 pm 1. Lufkin 2. PA Memorial 3. Angleton  4. Friendswood 5. Port Neches Groves 6. Nederland 7. Bridge City  8. Huffman  9. Little Cypress-Mauriceville  10. Livingston  11.  Carthage 12.  Hitchcock 13. Anahuac  14.  East Chambers 15.  Orangefield 16. Fairfield  17. Teague  18. Newton 19. New Waverly  20. Woodville  21. Joaquin vs  22. Colmesneil  23. West Hardin 24.  Deweyville 25.  Leverett's Chapel
    • Game Info: Start: Friday, September 27, 2024 at 7:30:00 PM Home Team Name/Class/District/Division: San Augustine - 2A-11-1 Record: Unknown Visiting Team Name/Class/District/Division: Huntington- 3A-9-1 Record: Unknown District Matchup: No *Standings do not include this game.  INSTRUCTIONS TO LIVE UPDATE THIS GAME ON THE SCOREBOARD:  Type !!score: or !!: as your "command" then Visitor's Score/Home Score/Quarter Example: !!score:10/14/4 would be 10 to 14 in the 4th quarter !!:21/28/2 would be 21 to 28 in the 2nd quarter Use h or H for halftime, and f or F for final You may also use - , or | in place of / Extras: Post the time left in the quarter as minutes/seconds. Ex:7/0/1/13/25 = 7 to 0, 1st quarter, 13 minutes, 25 seconds left. 
    • Game Info: Start: Friday, September 27, 2024 at 7:30:00 PM Home Team Name/Class/District/Division: Joaquin - 2A-11-1 Record: Unknown Visiting Team Name/Class/District/Division: Corrigan-Camden- 2A-12-1 Record: Unknown District Matchup: No *Standings do not include this game.  INSTRUCTIONS TO LIVE UPDATE THIS GAME ON THE SCOREBOARD:  Type !!score: or !!: as your "command" then Visitor's Score/Home Score/Quarter Example: !!score:10/14/4 would be 10 to 14 in the 4th quarter !!:21/28/2 would be 21 to 28 in the 2nd quarter Use h or H for halftime, and f or F for final You may also use - , or | in place of / Extras: Post the time left in the quarter as minutes/seconds. Ex:7/0/1/13/25 = 7 to 0, 1st quarter, 13 minutes, 25 seconds left. 
    • Game Info: Start: Friday, September 27, 2024 at 7:30:00 PM Home Team Name/Class/District/Division: Warren - 3A-12-2 Record: Unknown Visiting Team Name/Class/District/Division: New Waverly- 3A-12-2 Record: Unknown District Matchup: Yes *Standings do not include this game.  INSTRUCTIONS TO LIVE UPDATE THIS GAME ON THE SCOREBOARD:  Type !!score: or !!: as your "command" then Visitor's Score/Home Score/Quarter Example: !!score:10/14/4 would be 10 to 14 in the 4th quarter !!:21/28/2 would be 21 to 28 in the 2nd quarter Use h or H for halftime, and f or F for final You may also use - , or | in place of / Extras: Post the time left in the quarter as minutes/seconds. Ex:7/0/1/13/25 = 7 to 0, 1st quarter, 13 minutes, 25 seconds left. 
    • Game Info: Start: Friday, September 27, 2024 at 7:30:00 PM Home Team Name/Class/District/Division: Teague - 3A-9-1 Record: Unknown Visiting Team Name/Class/District/Division: Bullard- 4A-8-2 Record: Unknown District Matchup: No *Standings do not include this game.  INSTRUCTIONS TO LIVE UPDATE THIS GAME ON THE SCOREBOARD:  Type !!score: or !!: as your "command" then Visitor's Score/Home Score/Quarter Example: !!score:10/14/4 would be 10 to 14 in the 4th quarter !!:21/28/2 would be 21 to 28 in the 2nd quarter Use h or H for halftime, and f or F for final You may also use - , or | in place of / Extras: Post the time left in the quarter as minutes/seconds. Ex:7/0/1/13/25 = 7 to 0, 1st quarter, 13 minutes, 25 seconds left. 
  • Topics