With the return of football

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

For example, here is what I'm looking for. My answer is 5-10 year's, Lamar will be looking to move into another conference.

1. Less than 4 year's

2. 5-10 year's

3. more than 10 year's

4. never

Lamar will not consider leaving the Southland for 5 years.  Personally, I think they will be in the Southland for ten years, but that depends on what else happens.  If there is a mass exodus from the SLC, and another conference pops up that is a good fit, Lamar may leave in fewer than 10 years.

Guest coachacola

My guess is between 4 and 6 years.  If they haven't found a new conference within that time frame then they'll probably be in the SLC for at least 10 more years.  Lamar has to play D1-AA (FCS) football for at least 2 years, then at that time the NCAA moratorium on preventing schools from moving up ends.  If there's a big shuffle at that time then they could move to a better conference.

Lamar should be out the slc for the fall of 2013...Everything depends on the big conference break up.

CUSA is in a civil war, I expect them to break up.

Big 12 is fighting amoing themselves.

LU just needs to be ready when there is an opportunity.

what is Lamar's problem with the slc??  I just don't understand.  And if there is a problem with the slc, then all the other teams might have the same feeling.  why would Lamar beat the other teams out for a "golden" spot somewhere else?  Especially starting from ground zero. 

Guest abovetherim

Don't think Dr. Simmons has a "problem" with the SLC since Lamar is in the conference and so is McNeese State (one of the three schools he has a degree from). Thanks taking the time to reply j_dog.

what is Lamar's problem with the slc??  I just don't understand.  And if there is a problem with the slc, then all the other teams might have the same feeling.  why would Lamar beat the other teams out for a "golden" spot somewhere else?  Especially starting from ground zero. 

There is a reason why the same teams are in the top 25 and winning a NC year after year. Conference.

Texas st has 27,000 students.

OU 28,000

Nebraska 21,000

K st 23,000

etc etc I could go on.

So why is it that these schools are considered big name schools or big schools?

Conference.

Being in a better conference does not guarantee success, however it increases your chances a whole lot.

Being in a bottom tier conference decreases your chances of success by a lot, hence Texas st.

Lamar is better off with the extra money and exposure in a higher conference then not.

Guest coachacola

There's also more prestige being in a better conference.  La Tech, Ark St, UL-Laf, North Texas were all in the SLC.  These schools are now in FBS conferences with larger budgets and more exposure than Lamar.  Lamar basically "downsized" when they went back to the SLC, and now they play against mostly newbie DI schools.

With UTSA and Texas State talking about moving up to FBS football, they could leave the SLC soon and then the conference would bring in more newbie DI schools.  Lamar can't keep letting everyone pass them by.

Coach, SHSU is also expressing interest in moving up. I find it hard to believe SFA and Mcneese will not follow.

The slc could look like this in the future.

Lamar

Delta st

Tarleton st

Mid-western st

Nicholls st

Houston Baptist

UTA

LeTourneau

Abilene Christian

LSU-Shreveport

How many good recruits would choose Lamar.

[quote name="UNLV" post="315291" timestamp="1200296518"]
Coach, SHSU is also expressing interest in moving up. I find it hard to believe SFA and Mcneese will not follow.

Lamar
Delta st
Tarleton st
Mid-western st
Nicholls st
Houston Baptist
UTA
LeTourneau
Abilene Christian
LSU-Shreveport

[/quote]

This will never happen with us in the conference. Otherwise we would win it every year and be out in 5 years.

[quote name="mffl" post="315511" timestamp="1200325043"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=31749.msg315291#msg315291 date=1200296518]

Lamar
Delta st
Tarleton st
Mid-western st
Nicholls st
Houston Baptist
UTA
LeTourneau
Abilene Christian
LSU-Shreveport

[/quote]

This will never happen with us in the conference. Otherwise we would win it every year and be out in 5 years.
[/quote]No, our quality of recruits will drop to their level. Do you remember LU first year back into SLC. LU took
Sunbelt quality recruits to the NCAA via the Southland.

Guest coachacola
I believe for a new conference to keep it's automatic bid to the NCAA tourney, at least 6 six schools from the current conference have to break away and start a new conference together, like when the WAC split and the MWC was formed.

So if Lamar, SHSU, Texas State and UTSA decided to split from the SLC and start a new FBS conference, who would they take with them?  Does McNeese State have the money and desire to go FBS?  Would SFA join the party too?  How about SELA or Northwestern State?

Who would they hook up with?  Maybe the Sunbelt will split up with the west teams joining the SLC teams and the Sunbelt east teams joining up with App State, Georgia Southern, etc.  Maybe the WAC will split up with La Tech and New Mexico State joining up.

Maybe the CUSA, WAC and Sunbelt all break apart, and like a Saturday afternoon pickup game where everybody's trying to get on the best team, Lamar tries to join the best group of schools it can.

I hope Simmons and Tubbs are doing the best they can to get Lamar prepared for the next chance to move up.

[quote name="mffl" post="315511" timestamp="1200325043"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=31749.msg315291#msg315291 date=1200296518]

Lamar
Delta st
Tarleton st
Mid-western st
Nicholls st
Houston Baptist
UTA

Okay, the question still remains, where would Lamar go? I say Lamar will remain for a minimum of 10 years, if not longer. I still say Lamar came running back to SLC to find it's glory days. Well, those past days are long gone.
LeTourneau
Abilene Christian
LSU-Shreveport

[/quote]

[/quote]

Guest roberthollister

The referendum needs to pass first, which it should.  But God forbid, if it didn't, it would be a tragedy of monumental proportions.  Probably worse than the end of football at Lamar in 1989.

I believe for a new conference to keep it's automatic bid to the NCAA tourney, at least 6 six schools from the current conference have to break away and start a new conference together, like when the WAC split and the MWC was formed.

So if Lamar, SHSU, Texas State and UTSA decided to split from the SLC and start a new FBS conference, who would they take with them?  Does McNeese State have the money and desire to go FBS?  Would SFA join the party too?  How about SELA or Northwestern State?

Who would they hook up with?  Maybe the Sunbelt will split up with the west teams joining the SLC teams and the Sunbelt east teams joining up with App State, Georgia Southern, etc.  Maybe the WAC will split up with La Tech and New Mexico State joining up.

Maybe the CUSA, WAC and Sunbelt all break apart, and like a Saturday afternoon pickup game where everybody's trying to get on the best team, Lamar tries to join the best group of schools it can.

I hope Simmons and Tubbs are doing the best they can to get Lamar prepared for the next chance to move up.

Your right on the 6/5 rule, however I'd bet that rule goes out the window if the breakup/realignment is huge.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4