Strong workout leads Silva to San Jac

Strong workout leads Silva to San Jac

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun 

Published January 18, 2008

Barbers Hill senior pitcher Hunter Silva went from the ranks of the relative unknown to an athlete in high demand with one strong workout and parleyed it into a full ride scholarship to San Jacinto Junior College. Silva settled on San Jacinto after entertaining offers from the junior college ranks as well as division one.

“I kind of wanted to go the junior college route and San Jacinto is one of the top teams in the nation,†Silva said. “Being the number three pitcher last year I didn’t get that many innings. My most memorable game was against Vidor in game three of the bi-district playoffs. I threw a complete game and proved that I belonged.â€

In his limited action last season, Silva posted a 4-2 record with a 1.63 earned run average and 41 strikeouts. This summer, Silva increased his velocity and after an average tryout at Galveston College that netted him an offer, he took it to another level in the Baseball America tryouts.

“Hunter has always thrown the ball hard,†Barbers Hill head coach Gil Stalbaum said. “He has increased his velocity over the summer and it got the attention of the pro scouts. One scout called me the Sunday afternoon after his tryout and told me that his velocity was by far the best at the workout. For two weeks my phone didn’t stop ringing.â€

Silva consistently hit between 89 to 91 miles per hour with his fastball in the workout and had is slider timed from 81 to 84 miles per hour.

This season Silva will see time more time on the field as he takes over at third base for Jake Ponder who will move to catcher for Eagles, who are ranked number two in the state by Texas Baseball News going into the season.

“It’s really exciting,†Silva said. “I didn’t get to play much at third base last season because Jake was there. Hopefully I will get some more innings in and help the team get to state. We have a lot of expectations this year.â€

Silva plans to continue playing baseball this summer, as he will join teammates Ross Hales and Kendall Thamm as well as future San Jacinto teammate Brett Marshall who is a senior at Sterling on the Texas Sun Devils based out of Beaumont.

While attending San Jacinto, Silva plans on pursuing a degree in business.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo