*Central vs. Nederland/CENTRAL WINS 81-74/COMMENTS*

i guess the jags gave Ozen a wakeup call

It shouldnt' have taken us to do it.  The game that yall played them earlier this year was similar to the game when we played them.  Control of the game for 3 quarters and let them take it in the 4th.  I just dont' think that nobody wants to see them right now.  Just hope that somehow (very very slim chance) they stumble on one of the teams before our rematch.

Kind of high scoring, huh?  Got the box score?  I wanna see what the Hammond kide and Gulley did.

Hammond and Gulley both finished with 32pts.

I kind of figured that Gulley and Hammond would get theirs.  I didnt' expect 32 from both.  I'd expect 20ish.  Thanks for those scores, man!  I wish I could have attended this one.

i guess the jags gave Ozen a wakeup call

It shouldnt' have taken us to do it.  The game that yall played them earlier this year was similar to the game when we played them.  Control of the game for 3 quarters and let them take it in the 4th.  I just dont' think that nobody wants to see them right now.  Just hope that somehow (very very slim chance) they stumble on one of the teams before our rematch.

na i doubt it soulja ozen is jus to discipline for that

Kind of high scoring, huh?  Got the box score?  I wanna see what the Hammond kide and Gulley did.

I kind of figured that Gulley and Hammond would get theirs.  I didnt' expect 32 from both.  I'd expect 20ish.  Thanks for those scores, man!  I wish I could have attended this one.

he coulda used those 32 against ozen...........LMAO

The Port Arthur News

Nederland falls to Central

By Cody Pastorella

NEDERLAND — It was a game of runs and free throws in Friday night’s matchup between the Nederland Bulldogs and Central Jaguars.

While the lead only changed hands twice, no lead was ever safe. The Jags got up big in the first and big in the second; but every time they wanted to relax, Chris Hammond and company marched back.

In the end, however, Beaumont’s Jamar Gulley, who scored 32 points, was just too much and Central pulled off an 81-74 victory in the Dog Dome to move to 6-1 in District 22-4A.

Nederland was down by as much as 20 midway through the third period and down by 11 to start the fourth quarter. Some five minutes into the final frame, it was just a five point game with the score 77-72.

It was the second time Nederland charged back from a big deficit.

In the first half, the Bulldogs fell behind 23-6. Just like in the second half, Nederland came back and cut the score to just two points when Jordan Pitts, who scored eight points in the second quarter, sank a bucket with 4:20 left in the half to make the score 28-26.

Central answered, however, and went on a 15-2 run to end the half.

The second half was the same story. The Dogs charged and made the score 77-72 when Chris Brisco grabbed a rebound a banked a layup off the backboard with just 1:25 left to play.

But the Jaguars answered again by scoring four of the final six points in the game. Central also answered by playing some gutsy defense during Nederland’s final three possessions.

With the score 79-74, the Dogs had three opportunities to score, tie, win or whatever they could get.

On the first possession, Nederland missed a couple shots. On the next possession, the Hammond had a shot blocked. On the final possession, the Bulldogs turned the ball over.

During those three possessions, Central scored just two points.

Nederland’s biggest problem was its inability to shoot free throws.

The Bulldogs shot 12-of-22 from the charity stripe and only hit one free throw during one-and-one opportunities.

“You got to hit your free throws and you can’t turned the ball over,†said Nederland head coach Brian English. “That’s the name of the game. Free throws and turnovers. They made their free throws and we didn’t. They didn’t turn the ball over as much as we did and we made a lot of stupid passes.â€

While Gulley was a thorn in the Dog’s proverbial side all night, it was his fourth quarter that really made the difference.

Gulley scored 11 of his 32 points in the final period. Three times, in the quarter, Gulley made shots off his own rebounds.

For Nederland, Frances Torres was the man in the fourth frame. Torres scored 13 on the night. He was the Bulldogs second highest scorer behind Hammond’s 32 points. Of Torres’ 13 points, 10 came in the final eight minutes.

He also hit back-to-back treys to cut the score to 71-64 with 3:45 left in the contest.

Hammond had a similar run for the Dogs in the third quarter.

Hammond scored seven straight points for Nederland and had 11 in all for the quarter, aiding the Dogs to a 17-3 run to close out the third.

This was the second loss that the Dogs suffered this week. With Friday’s loss, the Bulldogs fall to 4-3 in district play.

English admitted that if his team would have beat Vidor on Tuesday and Central on Friday that their chances for the playoffs would have come much easier.

“Any time you make the playoffs, you have to earn it,†he said. “We’re in a situation now where we are really going to have to earn the playoffs.â€

Nederland travels to Port Neches on Tuesday for its next game, while the Jags play host to Lumberton.

Copyright © 1999-2006 cnhi, inc.

At the rate he was going eating up would be defenders, he probably could have dropped 32 easily on Ozen.  Maybe if he was 'snowbirding' like Franks was in the fourth period!   ;D ;D

Beaumont Central 81, Nederland 74 - Final

Nederland  Overall: 14-11  District: 3-0

Beaumont Central Overall: 15-9  District: 1-0

Boxscore

Friday January 18, 2008 7:00pm

1   2   3  4 OT Total

Nederland            13 15 22 24  0   74

Beaumont Central  27 16 18 20  0   81

Jamar Gulley        32 

Brandon Jackson  14

Francis Torres  13 

Chris Hammond  29

Jordan Pitts      11

he wasnt eating up 2 many defenders when it wuz clutch time but franks was..................... ;D ;D ;D

At the rate he was going eating up would be defenders, he probably could have dropped 32 easily on Ozen.  Maybe if he was 'snowbirding' like Franks was in the fourth period!   ;D ;D

Good Job Jags... Might be the best season I have seen in a while..  The early losses were do to youth, now they look strong.  Watching the Jags now and when they played a Brook team with all the football boys still in the play offs is like night and day.  They havge grown quickly... Coaching staff deserves the credit win you win with a young team... Go Jags!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43