BH - Johnathan Kelley Signs with Galveston College

bh89-2

Galveston proves to be perfect for Kelley

By Michael Pineda

Baytown Sun 

Published January 18, 2008

Once Barbers Hill senior pitcher Johnathan Kelley committed to Galveston College there was no turning back. Wednesday, Kelley made it official as he signed a letter of intent to play baseball for the Whitecaps.

“I couldn’t turn down Galveston College,†Kelley said. “I really liked it there. It’s a small school and that is what I was looking for. They have a good coaching staff and they have had a lot of success.â€

Kelley is coming off of a season in which he posted a 3-0 record, striking out 35 batters and posting a 2.31 earned run average. At 6-4, 240, the right-hander has a frame built for the college game.

“Johnathan’s got a lot of potential,†Barbers Hill head coach Gil Stalbaum said. “Hopefully he will gain a little velocity. If the coaches at Galveston College work him enough, He will improve. I think he will have a lot of success.â€

Kelley, who intends to pursue an education to become a chemical operator, received some starting nods on the mound in non-district play and got most of his work out of the bullpen in district and the playoffs as a junior. Kelley will be one of four returning pitchers from the Eagles regional semi-final team.

“I’m very excited about this year,†Kelley said. “I’m proud and I’m glad we’ve got our pitching back. I think we’re going to do well this year. Personally, I need to work more on my mechanics and try to get my velocity up.â€

A lot of Kelley’s success stems from his work ethic according to John Hudek, a former major league baseball player who now operates John Hudek’s All-Star Academy.

“John has always been big and strong,†Hudek said. “When he came to us he had raw talent but his hard work has allowed him to go in the direction he wants.

“His mentality is up, not to the point that he is cocky but he has the confidence to challenge hitters. In college will face more talent but I think he is strong enough mentally.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo