FORMER PA STAR REMAINS UNSIGNED

Guest Round Ball

Guest Round Ball

Former PA star a possibility for LU? He would be a huge replacement for LS.

After passing on several opportunities in the fall, Dominique Keller decided to buckle down, dominate, and let his recruitment play out in the spring. But at the same time, the super-athletic 6-foot-7, 225-pound forward from Lee College in Baytown didn't think that things would become completely silent. Despite racking up some monster numbers, Keller was surprised that nary a school had been in contact until he recently found out why.

"Somebody called me yesterday and I also got a text message saying congratulations, and I was like 'for what?'," Keller said. "They thought I had signed with Kansas State. But I haven't signed, I'm wide open."

Keller isn't quite sure where the confusion started. Sure, Kansas State was his self-acknowledged favorite from the summer to the fall, but he never made an official visit to Manhattan much less sign a letter-of-intent. Other possibilities such as Oregon State, UNLV, and Charlotte didn't pan out either but Keller never thought things would be this slow.

"Right now, it's actually very low-key," Keller said. "I think it's because everyone thinks I'm signed."

Since there's not much he can control in the area of recruiting at the moment, Keller has simply been focused on playing hard - and the results have been good. "I'm leading the league in scoring and rebounding, and I'm just trying to win now," Keller said. "In the last two games I had 36 points and 11 rebounds against Blinn and against Lon Morris I had 36 points and ten rebounds. My low post game and my jump hook is going really good right now."

On the year, Keller is averaging 22.5 points and 9.5 rebounds. Once centered on going high-major, Keller is now listening to everything. "Just wherever and I'm open to anybody," Keller said.

Texas Hoops Analysis: DOMINIQUE is an active and efficient paint scorer with very good low post moves. He works hard for the ball, has a soft touch in the paint and out to 15 feet and runs the floor hard. He can beat the defense back for easy buckets and is active on the boards at both ends.

Guest abovetherim

He would be a great get for Lamar but we need players who want to be at Lamar. The ladies have already lost two players who were homesick. With him being from PA, that wouldn't be the problem but I still want guys who love Lamar wearing the red and white of LU. Not just someone who didn't get the offer from a high major school who accepted the offer as a after thought.

Having said all that, Mr. Keller is a great player and if he wants to attend Lamar I'd love to have him.

He would be a great get for Lamar but we need players who want to be at Lamar. The ladies have already lost two players who were homesick. With him being from PA, that wouldn't be the problem but I still want guys who love Lamar wearing the red and white of LU. Not just someone who didn't get the offer from a high major school who accepted the offer as a after thought.

Having said all that, Mr. Keller is a great player and if he wants to attend Lamar I'd love to have him.

I could be wrong, but I always thought most of the players who sign with Lamar is because none of the big school sare recruiting them.

Guest abovetherim

Well, you are correct. I'm sure the majority of kids dream of playing at UT A&M, Kansas, OU, LSU, USC and so on. But, sometimes there are guys like Ashton Hall who signed with a school in a major conference but decided to leave and is now at Lamar. If you take Tamara Abalde with the women team, she was set to sign with TCU but decided with Lamar when LU hired Larry Tidwell. If you look at the baseball roster you'll notice a few transfers from high major programs.

Same with the women's volleyball team. There are a few that turned down offers from bigger schools to attend Lamar.

Guest abovetherim

Just a thought in case people think Lamar is out of scholarships due to signing 3 in the fall. Coy Custer is a 4.0 GPA student and could and should be placed on an academic scholarship. So, that frees up one scholarship. Then Nwevo is a student from Nigeria. There are scholarships available to students from abroad. To recap, without Lamar have a player leave the team except the seniors Lamar could still add at least two players in the spring signing period.

I just wanted to clear up some misinformation some people/fan's had regarding the possibility of signing additional players.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4