Info on South Alabama's search for their first head football coach

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

The University of South Alabama is also starting up a football program from scratch.  Here's some coaches they looked at:

USA's list of potential coaches includes Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, Auburn assistant Eddie Gran, Birmingham-Southern head coach Joey Jones, Clemson wide receiver coach Dabo Swinney, South Florida assistant head coach Dan McCarney, Central Florida assistant David Kelly and Mississippi State assistant Woody McCorvey. Former Southern Miss coach Jeff Bower and former Tulane coach Chris Scelfo were interviewed early in the process.

Gottfried said the university still plans to have its head football coach selected in less than two weeks. The USA head coach is expected to earn between $200,000 to $275,000 a year. He will hire three to five assistants and begin recruiting. South Alabama's first class of signees will be in 2009 and it will play a five or six-game schedule in 2009.

They'll be moving on up to FBS football in the Sunbelt after a few years, but will Lamar pay their coach that much?  They'll be hiring their coach in a few weeks but still plan to play some games in 2009.  That doesn't give their coach much time to put together a team.

http://www.beltboard.com/forum/forum_entry.php?id=32773&page=0&category=all&order=time

You for sure will have to get some deep pocket alumnus to cough up some bucks. Lamar should get these people involved right away. I think if they do not go out and get the one of the best coaches out there. They will be starting on a bad foot right off the bat. I think a proven winner is what they need. Not a has been or a might be but a proven winner and that cost some bucks! I plan on buying 4 season tickets as soon as they come out. This could be a really great thing if we play out cards right.  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4