Bracketology

UNLV

Guest abovetherim

Would be great if LU could win out (doubtful) and get something like a 12 seed. This is the seed of most of the upsets in the NCAA Tournament occur; 5 versus 12

Would be great if LU could win out (doubtful) and get something like a 12 seed. This is the seed of most of the upsets in the NCAA Tournament occur; 5 versus 12

Even if the Cards won out, the best they'd likely do is a 15 seed (outside shot at a 14 seed).  They just started too far behind the eight ball.  24-8 Southland teams just don't get seeded very high.  Losing 1 more game gives no shot at a 14 seed, and losing 2 more means 16 seed or play-in.

Guest coachacola

I agree with weslinder.  Here's how each SLC team has seeded the last 5 years:

Year    Team        Seed    RPI  Record

----    -----        ----      ---  ------

2007    TAMU-CC  15        80    24-6

2006    NW ST      14        60    22-7

2005    SLU          15        117  19-8

2004    UTSA        16        200  16-12

2003    SHSU        15        91    21-6

The only way the SLC gets a 16 seed is if SFA, SHSU, or LU doesn't win the SLC tourney.  SFA has a RPI of 55 now so they'd probably get a 14 seed and could pull an upset like NW State did in 2006.  SHSU or LU would probably get a 15 seed with RPIs around 100.

Gosh, I just love the SLC. Yep, weslinder and coachacola are probably right.

It's certainly possible to get a higher seed out of the SLC, but it takes a better record.  If SFA wins out and wins the tournament, they'll be 29-3 going into the NCAA tournament.  That would get them a 11-12 seed.

Guest abovetherim

Don't count on it. Pat Foster's team (25-4 at the time of the selection) that was snubbed by the NCAA and didn't even make the NCAA Tournament WOULD KILL any team in the SLC this year including SFA, SHSU and Lamar. They had a better RPI, lost to a team in the tournament finals (Louisiana Tech, with Karl Malone). Had a 80 homecourt winning streak snapped the same night. Oh and that Tech team would kill any current SLC team too.

If SFA wins out I'm sure they will not get better than a 13th seed. No way, they would be a 11th seed. I know you know basketball but I have a few years on you and one thing about history is it seems to repeat itself. The NCAA selection committee does not respect the SLC.

They will say, yes SFA beat OU but look at the conference they won and the PRI of the member institutions.

You be the judge. Here are the teams LU beat OOC that year.

1. St. Mary's California

2. Weber State

3. Evansville

4. Eastern Michigan

5. New Mexico

6. Toledo

Should SFA win out but then lose in the SLC tourney finals, could they possibly get an at large bid, especially if they keep getting votes in the Top 25 poll.  FYI, no team with at least 27 wins in a season has ever been left out of the NCAAs.  SFA, in this scenario, would finish the year at 28-4.

Guest abovetherim

Should SFA win out but then lose in the SLC tourney finals, could they possibly get an at large bid, especially if they keep getting votes in the Top 25 poll.  FYI, no team with at least 27 wins in a season has ever been left out of the NCAAs.  SFA, in this scenario, would finish the year at 28-4.

Hopefully, you are correct. That will be a first for the SLC as they have NEVER had two teams in the NCAA tournament. Are you saying this SFA team could beat Pat Foster's 83/84 team or that of La Tech and Karl Malone? What is OU's PRI this season? Is OU going to make the NCAA tournament? Is this a great OU team they beat?

Like I said, I hope you are right. 2 in the NCAA would be a great achievement for SLC men's basketball. I believe when Lamar beat the #1 ranked Rice Owls twice in the regular season the SLC for the first time got two teams in the NCAA baseball regional tournament.

Rim - I was just posing a question about the possibility of SFA getting an at large bid.  I cannot comment on anyone beating the 83/84 team since I was 8 years old and barely remember that team.  But I doubt that any of the SLC teams currently could beat either that Lamar team or the La Tech team.

Guest abovetherim

Sorry, I just meant that Lamar team was more deserving than this SFA team of an at-large bid. I'll put it this way, UH will have over twenty wins in C-USA but probably will need an at-large bid. There are thirty two automatic bids, then you have the major conference with multiple bids. It is a numbers game that never goes in favor of the lower mid major conferences. Lets say since I brought up UH, the final spot in the 65 team field is between SFA and UH. Who are most people going to say is most deserving? Then there are ten more teams like UH that SFA will need to beat out. Like I said before it would be great for SLC to get two teams into the NCAA Tournament.

Yes, there is a chance but I'm not counting on it.

Sorry, the analogy of the past LU and La Tech teams has too many variables, not a good example on my part. After I read the post a couple times it was easy to see you can't really compare the teams from different era's without a large degree of error.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    janaxad4
    Newest Member
    janaxad4