*Ozen vs. #1 Yates Playoff Updates/YATES ADVANCES 60-58/COMMENTS*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time I ever seen the Panthers play but they are a very well Coached team. Tough loss and heck I was even rooting for them but came up a little short. Number twenty three the soph? Is a manchild and will be fun to watch over the next couple of years. Oh well enjoyed watching your school and sorry they lost.

I really like they way that Ozen was coached and WHS has a good coach. Coaches from Yates and Smiley did not impress me at all and you put Coach B on the Smiley bench? They win state.

dang it, i was 1 pt off on my prediction  :D

Thats probably the only thing I'm upset about but it was mostly my ego. I predicted a 10 point margin, but Yates ended up spotting Ozen at least 10 points and they (Yates) had to work to get back into the game. Realistically with it being the playoffs, I should have predicted a 3-4 point win for the mighty Lions.

dang it, i was 1 pt off on my prediction :D

That's probably the only thing I'm upset about but it was mostly my ego. I predicted a 10 point margin, but Yates ended up spotting Ozen at least 10 points and they (Yates) had to work to get back into the game. Realistically with it being the playoffs, I should have predicted a 3-4 point win for the mighty Lions.

Dove your might center number forty one needs to stay under the basket instead of trying to be a Ralph Sampson. What up with him running the point and then turning the ball on a travel late in the game? He will get smoked at Baylor unless he picks it up. I do like the guards and number one and three are studly.

dang it, i was 1 pt off on my prediction :D

That's probably the only thing I'm upset about but it was mostly my ego. I predicted a 10 point margin, but Yates ended up spotting Ozen at least 10 points and they (Yates) had to work to get back into the game. Realistically with it being the playoffs, I should have predicted a 3-4 point win for the mighty Lions.

Dove your might center number forty one needs to stay under the basket instead of trying to be a Ralph Sampson. What up with him running the point and then turning the ball on a travel late in the game? He will get smoked at Baylor unless he picks it up. I do like the guards and number one and three are studly.

Actually I am not a Jack Yates fan. A good friend of mine who played at UNIV. OF Houston scouted the Yates team for me and he doesn't like the center either. But we knew Yates had the guards to give Ozen trouble.

See, the thing with Ozen ( and Dickie touched on this a bit) is that it has a good system. And within that system you don't have to be a great baller. In other words, you can be an average player and play at Ozen. Through the years, Ozen has a history of average guards, good but average. Is Frank average? By no means. sO, when average meets very athletic abd confident ballers, there is a big difference. I bet if you take a poll with your best players in the area, you'll find that they play with or against better athletes in the summer. Kids in Houston have an advantage.

And there are some other factors involved.

Ozen was up by as many as 16 but like I said in my earlier post you have to beat Yates in the third quarter.  They always have big third quarters.. The same thing happenned when they oplayed those national teams...  Down most of the game and take the lead in the third and go on and win... Ozen really had their foot on Yates neck but then went away from Decarlos in the second half... The kid had ten points after the first period and looked unstoppable... 

Dove... Anthony has all the talents to be a great small forward but he tends to take plays off... If someone really gets into his head and coaches him... He could be a great!

I really like they way that Ozen was coached and WHS has a good coach. Coaches from Yates and Smiley did not impress me at all and you put Coach B on the Smiley bench? They win state.

This is so true... They have a very naturally talented team... I raved about their talent all year long...  They have three 6'5" or better players that all have game...Their weakness is at the point and a good coach could change that!

Guest tigersvoice

Excuse me, but has DickyV retired?  I was certain that he would be man enough to come on and take his "Comeuppance."  Guess not.

Did anyone go to the game yates was beat REFS brought them back little to play crowd refs and nationally ranked team at home . to their credit they made adjustments on franks staying down on his perimeter shot

I was there Brain and the loose calling  that they did in the first half got really tight in the second... Ozen did not adjust!

Excuse me, but has DickyV retired?  I was certain that he would be man enough to come on and take his "Comeuppance."  Guess not.

DV is here with me in Huffman hanging macking out. DV is cool bc he knows bb.  ;D

Did anyone go to the game yates was beat REFS brought them back little to play crowd refs and nationally ranked team at home . to their credit they made adjustments on franks staying down on his perimeter shot

I knew it was going to happen. The refs had to get into the conversation. Why not just give Yates credit. They were down by almost 20 points and the fans were calling home telling their friends the game was over in the first half. Man, this is a nationally ranked team who has played big name schools. Do rankings mean anything? It depends on how you use the ranking to your mental advantage.  Like it or not, Yates has played some big name schools and tournaments. This provides a tremendous mental advantage to the team, if used properly.

how many times did jones get dunked on i said joseph from ozen would out play him

I knew it was going to happen. The refs had to get into the conversation. Why not just give Yates credit. They were down by almost 20 points and the fans were calling home telling their friends the game was over in the first half. Man, this is a nationally ranked team who has played big name schools. Do rankings mean anything? It depends on how you use the ranking to your mental advantage.  Like it or not, Yates has played some big name schools and tournaments. This provides a tremendous mental advantage to the team, if used properly.

how many times did jones get dunked on i said joseph from ozen would out play him

You don't read Blue... I actually gave Yates credit for adjusting their style to the way the game was called and Ozen did not do that!!!  Yates won fair and square Ozen did not meet the challenge...  They had every opportunity to win the game and let Yates off the hook!  I tried to tell Dickie in an earlier post on another topic that you must withstand Yates third quarter push.. Everytime I have watched them this year they make a strong push in the third quater!

Jacoby did outplay Jones but he didnt step up when it counted.  Open shoot to win the game and he choked and shot an air ball... He probaly should have went to the cup to create a better shot and an opportuunity to draw a foul or at least get a rebound...  The air ball really hurted...  The kid will grow from that experience and I hope I have the opportunity to watch him on the next level.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anjali43
    Newest Member
    anjali43