SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE ISSUES REPRIMAND TO LAMAR BASKETBALL COACH STEVE ROCCAFORTE

Guest Ozen

from hoop insider cooper

SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE ISSUES REPRIMAND TO LAMAR BASKETBALL COACH STEVE ROCCAFORTE

FRISCO, Texas – The Southland Conference has issued a public reprimand to Lamar University men’s basketball coach Steve Roccaforte for comments in the media critical of game officiating after Lamar’s 83-73 loss at Southeastern Louisiana on Saturday.

“The Conference bylaws are very clear that game participants cannot make public comments critical of officiating, and the membership has repeatedly and unanimously endorsed this policy and the sanctions that come with it,†Southland Commissioner Tom Burnett said.  “The Conference offers coaches and athletic administrators direct access in officiating matters through the proper channels, but not through the media or other public avenues.â€

We can rip the refs all we want but Roc needs to refrain from that type of statement in the future.  I'm sure he regretted the comments as soon as he cooled off a bit.

That being said, there is at least one ref that has called a large percentage of our home games that I believe is terrible and has no business calling anything above Little Dribblers.  I don't know his name and I'm not sure if it is the same guy Roc called out but he is horrible.

Guest abovetherim

Sorry guys I disagree. I think Roc would do it again and I wouldn't blame him. He knew the bylaws prior to making the statements.

I think everyone on this board remembers Pat Foster. He was once ejected from a La Tech game after receiving two techs and standing at mid-court until they finally got him to leave.

Sometimes it is better to have your team "believe" they lost due to something else than to think the other team is just better especially when the SLC Tournament is the next week.

I support what he said and hope he will "man up" if he thinks the refs are being one sided with their calls. I take it as taking up for his players.

I knew this reprimand was coming and so did he. You think Billy Tubbs has ever been reprimanded by a league for talking about the officials?

The SLC has had some of the worse refs for years.  Most of the time Lamar gets the worse of end of a lot of calls.

What recourse is there to have something done about the refs?

I was under the impressions there is a supervisor at the games or there's some grading system for them.

If there's a grading system, they should get paid according to their grade and some not get paid.

Roc needs to tell the slc where they can stick it. Time to move on to another conference. Maybe Lamar, UTSA, ULL, UNT,and Arkansas st can join La Tech in the WAC.

Should be noted that the Director of Officiating in the WAC is the same as the SLC. Same goes for C-USA, Sun Belt and Big XII, if I am not mistaken...

Guest abovetherim

Doesn't mean the SLC has the same quality of officiating does it? No, the SLC officiating sinks. I can't say they are bias against Lamar as I've witnessed several calls that were obviously missed going in favor of the Cardinals.

All anyone can ask of the officials is to be consistant. What is a charge on one end should be a charge on the other and so on. These officials don't do that and this is why you hear people gripping from coaches, players and fans.

The SLC has had some of the worse refs for years.  Most of the time Lamar gets the worse of end of a lot of calls.

What recourse is there to have something done about the refs?

I was under the impressions there is a supervisor at the games or there's some grading system for them.

If there's a grading system, they should get paid according to their grade and some not get paid.

Exactly, they don't like us, we dont like them. time to split.

Guest abovetherim

Whatever is best for Lamar University. If that is Wednesday, Saturday that is great with me. I love the way you stay on topic Texas Terror. Oh and please don't tell me we would get better officials on Thursday and Saturday games. I believe there were several conference games on Wednesday this season. I couldn't tell the difference.  ::)

Guest abovetherim

Well, since Texas Terror went off topic, I'll do the same. Let's support the Lady Cardinals tomorrow night with attendance or listening to the game. I heard a name from the past for me while listening to the Larry Tidwell radio show.

As a little freshman at Bridge City, I had the opportunity to watch some great basketball. Al Barbre was the Head Coach at Bridge City, Walt Monte and David Ess were two of the stars on the team. Bridge City lost 3 games all season and two of those were 3 point losses to Beaumont Hebert. Hebert won the state championship that year. 

Just brought that up because I still recognize the Elite Eight team of Al Barbre and to hear Coach Tidwell call David Ess a good friend of his brought back some great memories of both Cardinal basketball programs. Those memories were of the Bridge City Cardinals and the Lamar Lady Cardinals. I've seen some great Cardinal basketball over the years.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo