Roc/Ark St

According to Perry Clark, Roc calls Lamar his "dream job".  It'll take a better job than Arkansas State to get him out of Lamar.

By the way, do you think this is the year that Rice finally fires Wilson and hires Marlin?  It seems to be a perfect fit.

How could Marlin win in CUSA when he can't win the SLC.

Marlin has won the SLC (regular-season twice, tournament once), so that's not really true.  But he won't have to win the conference at Rice to be considered successful.  If he can run off three-straight 20-win seasons, he will have done much better than Willis Wilson ever did.

Marlin is a decent recruiter and a very good game-planner.

Marlin has won the SLC (regular-season twice, tournament once), so that's not really true.  But he won't have to win the conference at Rice to be considered successful.  If he can run off three-straight 20-win seasons, he will have done much better than Willis Wilson ever did.

I know, I just wanted to make steam come from Terrors ears.

I've even mentioned Marlin to Rice in the past. He gets good student-athletes and has a history of such. I'm a Rice fan #2 to that of SHSU, so I've got an interest in what's going on at Rice...

Per the Rice forums, I've posted this on KatFans -- Willis is staying. The AD made it clear during a recent tour of the Autry Renovations according to those who attended...

I know, I just wanted to make steam come from Terrors ears.

Marlin is a fantastic coach.  I'd take him or Kaspar in a heartbeat!  Marlin would be crazy to go to Rice.  He could/should get a much better opportunity than that.  I'm shocked that no big program has come after him.  Ditto for Kaspar.  I sure wish we had one of them here.

Guest abovetherim

Marlin and Kasper are great coaches but Kasper has been at SFA at least 7 years and Marlin hasn't won a NCAA Tournament game. I'll stick with the Head Coach we have now. What this is his second year?

Marlin and Kasper are great coaches but Kasper has been at SFA at least 7 years and Marlin hasn't won a NCAA Tournament game. I'll stick with the Head Coach we have now. What this is his second year?

Outside of McConathy at NSU...which coach in the SLC has won an NCAA game at their current institution?

ABR3 -- what many Lamar fans do not realize (IMO) is that SHSU was a garbage Div I program until Marlin came on board. His win today ended a losing streak in post-season play away from Huntsville that dates back to before I was born (1982). In fact, the winning streak at home in the post-season dates back to the year I was born, but before I was born (1983). SHSU has milestone wins and most of the 20 win seasons in school history have come under his watch.

SHSU was a strong NAIA team and was probably the best NAIA team in Texas during their glory years to the point the big schools refused to play us -- we'd probably would have beaten them. Not so much at the Division I level. The decision to hire Marlin was a landmark decision and despite not getting to more than one NCAA tournament yet, we have a program that is a consistent winner in our conference and one that gets tremendous academic accolades, which is always nice...

Guest abovetherim

I knew you would take that the wrong way. Do you really think I would post on a Lamar Forum I'd rather have Bob Marlin than Steve Roccaforte? I know what all Bob Marlin has done and SHSU is lucky to have him as long as you have but I'm probably too loyal. If you ask me my brother was the best DB at McNeese State. Obviously, the coaching staff thought different.

Please, take my comments about Bob Marlin in context. You are talking with a guy via written communication who bleeds red and white. The rest of the country may say Bob Marlin is better than Steve Roccaforte but you'll never hear that from me.

Please, take my comments about Bob Marlin in context. You are talking with a guy via written communication who bleeds red and white. The rest of the country may say Bob Marlin is better than Steve Roccaforte but you'll never hear that from me.

It was the remark about the NCAA tournament game that I took on to...

I know you have a great respect for Marlin, we've discussed it before. Hopefully, we'll have plenty of more discussions about Marlin for years to come. And hopefully we throw in a few about Antaun Bootle too. ;)

Guest abovetherim

Yep, you are right I have the utmost respect for Coach Marlin. He is a GREAT coach. I'm probably the only person on the planet to even argue the statement of who is better Marlin or Roccaforte. Again, Bob Marlin is a GREAT COACH and gets his kids to graduate.

I'm sure we'll be having our annual debates on recruiting classes and such. I hear Bootle is the real deal and I hope for the Cardinals sake we can land a good big man too.  ;D

Glad you finally found this site as I missed our discussions. I know some of them became a little heated but I promise you I have learned from my mistakes. I ask for your forgiveness as I did not treat you fairly on the other board.

You are a credit to SHSU and a valued member of this forum. I hope you visit often.

Guest abovetherim

I've even mentioned Marlin to Rice in the past. He gets good student-athletes and has a history of such. I'm a Rice fan #2 to that of SHSU, so I've got an interest in what's going on at Rice...

Per the Rice forums, I've posted this on KatFans -- Willis is staying. The AD made it clear during a recent tour of the Autry Renovations according to those who attended...

Appears the AD has changed his mind. Coach Wilson will not be retained. They will start a nation wide search for his replacement which could end up being in Huntsville. Bob Marlin should be an attractive candidate for the Rice Owls.

Wilson fired after 16 seasons at Rice

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Longtime Rice coach Willis Wilson was fired Friday, two days after the Owls finished 3-27 overall and 0-16 in Conference USA.

"He has done a wonderful job with our student athletes and has given so much of himself to Rice. But after much thought, I came to the conclusion that it was best for everyone that we move in a new direction," athletic director Chris Del Conte said in a statement.

Del Conte said the Owls will begin a nationwide search for a replacement.

Wilson was 219-246 in 16 seasons. He won more games and coached more games than any other Rice coach. His 16 years at the helm also set a school record.

He led the team to three NIT appearances. He won a career-high 22 games in 2004, and his 1998-99 team won 18 games after winning just six the year before.

The Owls finished the season with a 59-50 loss to Southern Miss in the first round of the Conference USA tournament Wednesday night.

Wilson, a former player for the Owls, spent a year as an assistant in Stanford in 1992 before becoming Rice's 22nd head coach.

Last year, Wilson coached Conference USA player of the year Morris Almond, the nation's third-leading scorer and first-round NBA draft pick of the Utah Jazz.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3294309

Marlin is a very attractive candidate for the Rice job...

I was a bit shocked by the actions on Main Street, but nothing surprises me in the business known as collegiate athletics.

According to MK Bower's blog, Jeff Van Gundy, Josh Pastner and John Lucas are being thrown around...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo