Coaching Vacancies - In the Region

Let's talk about coaching vacancies in the region. I am sure there will be an SLC vacancy or two on the horizon, maybe a few conference coaches considered for jobs elsewhere.

You guys seem to have a good pulse on things and like me, have a knack for finding a good article or few, so what's going on? Here's a few, please feel free to add more if I am missing them.

Men

Rice

Arkansas State

LSU

Women

Nicholls State

North Texas

Picked this one up from the SLC Tourney blog...

Breaking News From Nicholls State -- Head Women's Basketball Coach Mark Cook Resigns

THIBODAUX, La. - Nicholls State University Athletics Director Rob Bernardi announced on Friday that women’s basketball coach Mark Cook will not return to coach the Lady Colonels in the 2008-09 season.

Cook completed his fourth season as the head coach of Nicholls after being hired in June 2004. Cook took over the women’s basketball program following a six-year stint as head coach at Dillard University in New Orleans, La., where his teams posted three-straight Gulf Coast Conference Championships.

In four years at the helm of the Nicholls women’s basketball program, Cook compiled an 25-84 overall record and a 16-50 mark against Southland Conference opponents.  This past season, the Lady Colonels posted a 6-21 overall record and a 4-12 record in Southland Conference competition. Nicholls went 2-11 in non-conference play.

The performance of senior guard, Katherine Plummer, highlighted the 2007-08 season. Plummer finished the season as the league leader in scoring averaging 18.9 points per game, earning Second Team All-Conference honors. 

A search for a new head basketball coach will begin immediately.

Arkansas State offers job to ex-LSU Brady

March 16, 2008

By Glenn Guilbeau

[email protected]

ATLANTA — Former LSU basketball coach John Brady may have a new job before the college basketball season is over.

"John Brady has been offered the Arkansas State job, it is my understanding," former LSU athletic director Joe Dean said in an interview on his cellular phone Saturday afternoon. "John's asked them if they can do this and this and this, and they're negotiating."

Dean knows many basketball coaches and athletic directors around the country very well from his work as LSU's athletic director from 1987 through 2000 and as a Converse executive prior to that.

This is the hidden content, please

Centenary...

SHREVEPORT—Centenary Director of Athletics Dr. Tom Tallach today announced that Rob Flaska’s contract would not be renewed as head men’s basketball coach. A search for Flaska’s successor will begin immediately.

“Over his three years, Rob was able to make some progress under some difficult circumstances. For that we are very appreciative,†said Tallach. “At this time, we are looking for something different in terms of leadership, and that is the rationale for this very difficult decision.â€

This is the hidden content, please

Guest abovetherim

Not attempting to get rid of Coach Sketon but Coach Roc has ties to Centenary and Coach Skelton is from Mississippi and was highly successful as a JuCo Head Coach. IMO, he would be an excellent candidate for the job!

Not attempting to get rid of Coach Sketon but Coach Roc has ties to Centenary and Coach Skelton is from Mississippi and was highly successful as a JuCo Head Coach. IMO, he would be an excellent candidate for the job!

That would open the door for Boutte.

TCU's HC job is open now too:

FORT WORTH, Texas – TCU coach Neil Dougherty was fired Sunday night after six seasons, only one of which ended with a winning record.

Dougherty was 75-108 at TCU, including 14-16 this season. The Horned Frogs lost 89-88 to host UNLV in the Mountain West Conference tournament Thursday.

Before replacing Billy Tubbs in 2002 for his first head coaching job, Dougherty spent seven seasons as an assistant at Kansas for Roy Williams. Dougherty was also an assistant at South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Drake and Cameron.

"We appreciate Neil's contributions to TCU over the last six years," athletic director Danny Morrison said in a statement. "He cares deeply about the student-athletes and always had their best interests at heart. He put a lot of time and effort into the job, and we wish him the best in the future."

TCU's best season under Dougherty was 2004-05, when the Frogs went 21-14 and made it to the National Invitational Tournament. They slipped to 6-25 the following season.

John Brady will be named head coach at Arkansas State tomorrow...

ARKANSAS STATE TO HOLD 11:00 AM PRESS CONFERENCE WEDNESDAY, MARCH 19, TO ANNOUNCE NEW HEAD MEN’S BASKETBALL COACH

JONESBORO (3/18/08) – The Arkansas State University Department of Athletics will hold an 11:00 a.m. press conference Wednesday, March 19, to announce a new head men’s basketball coach.  The press conference will be held on the ASU campus at the Convocation Center auditorium.

The press conference is open to working media and the public.

The auditorium is located just inside the Convocation Center’s lower red entrance.

UAPB...

Holt steps down after six season at Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Associated Press

Updated: March 18, 2008, 4:49 PM ET

PINE BLUFF, Ark. -- Arkansas-Pine Bluff men's basketball coach Van Holt resigned after six seasons following an 8-10 record in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

The school announced Tuesday that Holt offered his resignation Monday. He led the Golden Lions (13-18) to their third consecutive SWAC postseason tournament.

Holt finished 50-124 overall and 35-73 in the SWAC.

Do you honestly believe Boutee would accept a job at the college level? And if so, what would be the driving force behind this move? I dunno, so I am just asking one's opinions.

Guest abovetherim

Do you honestly believe Boutee would accept a job at the college level? And if so, what would be the driving force behind this move? I dunno, so I am just asking one's opinions.

Money? I'm not bragging but Coach Boutte has several State Championship rings and I make more $$$$. If you are wondering why I'm back in school, well, I was diagnosed with a chronic condition that is incurable and I need other options in my career field. Doubt I'll make 20 more years of patient care.

Now an assistant job at Lamar wouldn't be the final place for Coach Boutte. Quite different my man. Just the start of a college coaching career. After 3-4 years paying his dues at Lamar he could end up at a mid-major college like Rice for example. Coach Wilson was making $400K a year. You think Coach Boutte might be interested in that?

Now, you are talking some serious jack!

Lastly, what else does Coach Boutte have to prove at the HS level?

Now, I'll ask one. Why wouldn't he?

Money? I'm not bragging but Coach Boutte has several State Championship rings and I make more $$$$. If you are wondering why I'm back in school, well, I was diagnosed with a chronic condition that is incurable and I need other options in my career field. Doubt I'll make 20 more years of patient care.

Now an assistant job at Lamar wouldn't be the final place for Coach Boutte. Quite different my man. Just the start of a college coaching career. After 3-4 years paying his dues at Lamar he could end up at a mid-major college like Rice for example. Coach Wilson was making $400K a year. You think Coach Boutte might be interested in that?

Now, you are talking some serious jack!

Lastly, what else does Coach Boutte have to prove at the HS level?

Now, I'll ask one. Why wouldn't he?

Okay I'm convinced ;D

Guest abovetherim

Actually, I think you've convinced me it wouldn't be a good fit. Thanks for clearing up my uneducated thoughts about basketball coaching. The man would have to care about the university and think they had a shot at a NCAA bid and it could not be just about the money.

Thank you as our communication via this forum and speaking to my brother who was a coach and a Lamar alumnus and is an Administrator at a private school, I now understand my idea was misguided.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo