SFA Loses By 20 In NIT!!!

I'm surprised that the Southland gets an automatic bid to the dance or NIT. The big W by SFA over OU wasn't that great cause OU is really down this year.  LEAVE the Southland if you can. This league hasn't ever done anything and never will. Horrible basketball, baseball, and so on.

I'm surprised that the Southland gets an automatic bid to the dance or NIT. The big W by SFA over OU wasn't that great cause OU is really down this year.  LEAVE the Southland if you can. This league hasn't ever done anything and never will. Horrible basketball, baseball, and so on.

Basketball. If this league is so horrible, why has Lamar failed to achieve any success? Okay, blame the conference for holding you back, but with more resources (the nicest arena in the conference and perhaps the deepest pockets for basketball), the football schools (who have less for basketball) seem to be the ones making the NCAAs and NIT while since Lamar returned, it took a surprising run in the SLC tournament to get there. A few of you constantly belittle the SLC, but it's not like Lamar is amounting to much, so you may as well belittle yourselves.

And your surprised the SLC gets bids to the NCAA and NIT? The league had an RPI in the top 20 this year, better than at least 10 or so conferences. We constantly beat up on the SWAC, among a few other conferences. Why do we not deserve a bid when we are better than a growing amount of conferences each year?

Baseball? The Southland should be able to get two teams in this year at the current rate and has do so in baseball before (and softball for that matter) in the last few years. UCA got a nice win over a nationally ranked Ole Miss yesterday, just a few days after being swept by SHSU. Not bad!

Thanks for showing your lack of knowledge -- I haven't seen you on this board before, so good luck in "getting with the game"...and welcome to the "lowly" Southland.

Terror your problem is SHSU has never been near the top and the Southland you know is the lowly Southland of today.

Many of us knew the Southland when it was a standing side by side with the SEC and Big 10. I remember Southland teams going to bowls,

La Tech mens BB ranked #8, Lamar ranked #18, sweet 16's, blowing out SEC teams instead of them blowing us out like todays reality.

Once you had a taste of that, you want more. Terror SHSU never tasted that before. Just being DI is enough for you. Lamar fans can never go

back to the sweet innocent virgin state SHSU is in.

Guest coachacola

Come on now UNLV, stop living in the 80's.  SHSU has 3 commish cups and the basketball team ranks #2 in wins in Texas this decade, what more could you ask for?

Terror your problem is SHSU has never been near the top and the Southland you know is the lowly Southland of today. Many of us knew the Southland when it was a standing side by side with the SEC and Big 10.

Many of us know how the business of collegiate athletics has changed -- guess you didn't get the memo? Come on UNLV, you know better. I do not think the Southland was ever on equal footing with those conferences. We were at a higher level than we are now by leaps and bounds, but we were still on a second tier...

Terror your problem is SHSU has never been near the top and the Southland you know is the lowly Southland of today. Many of us knew the Southland when it was a standing side by side with the SEC and Big 10.

Many of us know how the business of collegiate athletics has changed -- guess you didn't get the memo? Come on UNLV, you know better. I do not think the Southland was ever on equal footing with those conferences. We were at a higher level than we are now by leaps and bounds, but we were still on a second tier...

And now we are a 3rd tier. You seem perfectly happy with that.

Guest abovetherim

What academic programs besides education majors is Lamar behind the guys at San Marcos and Huntsville? Pre-med, nope. Engineering, nope. Nursing, nope. Pre-law, nope. So, what makes SHSU and TSU-SM above Lamar in the eyes of the TSUS?

What academic programs besides education majors is Lamar behind the guys at San Marcos and Huntsville? Pre-med, nope. Engineering, nope. Nursing, nope. Pre-law, nope. So, what makes SHSU and TSU-SM above Lamar in the eyes of the TSUS?

You are just providing a sampling of programs...

You would have to ask the TSUS how they bring about their tier system. It's been a few years since I was heavily involved in that racket. I do know in 2005 that when a certain San Marcos based institution, the Huntsville institution's student government presented a flagship feasibility study that laid out various factors that based on the TSUS criteria for tiers, SHSU was actually the top dog.

No one ever hears Lamar in any argument regarding "status" in the system and still don't. I've told you before, when the name change got brought up, SHSU threw up a stink and Lamar was relatively quiet in comparison to the point SHSU ended up supplying extra protection to the name of their school (in similar nature to Tarleton St and Prairie View A&M) while Lamar is not as protected if they stay in the system or go elsewhere.

Perhaps Lamar needs to work on this if they want more system support in terms of building up their athletic program to meet UNLV's standards for the program...while I have never heard it from anyone, I do believe that Lamar would have to take a ticket and wait behind the other two major institutions in the system before really doing much as far as "moving up" goes unless there is $$$ raised from the private sector that pushes them ahead of the others...or at the very least, SHSU...

And I'll continue to stick by this belief until the system proves to me that in their mind, Lamar is considered "above" the other two schools. At this point, especially with a very SHSU-leaning Board of Regents and a very Texas St-San Marcos leaning Chancellor...I have a hard time believing that at this point...

Guest abovetherim

Well, I'll admit you are much more knowledgeable regarding all the stuff with the TSUS, flagship status and so on. But, why would Texas Tech want to approach Lamar about becoming part of their university system if LU is a 3rd tier university in the TSUS?

I know all about the situation with Texas Tech and their accrediting issues. No need to bring that up.

Well, I'll admit you are much more knowledgeable regarding all the stuff with the TSUS, flagship status and so on. But, why would Texas Tech want to approach Lamar about becoming part of their university system if LU is a 3rd tier university in the TSUS?

Texas Tech is fighting their own battle right now to become more recognized and to get more funding in the state of Texas. They saw a situation with Angelo State where the San Angelo institution felt as they were being pushed around the TSUS and pretty much "used" for their large endowment (Carr Endowment). Tech knew Angelo State wanted out and made a quiet effort to get them in the fold. It happened and they are doing a lot to bolster Angelo State now.

Sam Houston State and Texas State - San Marcos are the least likely to jump systems. Lamar on the other hand, like Angelo State, is probably not in the spot they would like to be within the TSUS. Texas Tech, being interested in "moving up" and getting more $$$ from the state knows that obtaining any institution for them would be huge in their plans. It's not surprising...

Texas Tech is fighting their own battle right now to become more recognized and to get more funding in the state of Texas. They saw a situation with Angelo State where the San Angelo institution felt as they were being pushed around the TSUS and pretty much "used" for their large endowment (Carr Endowment). Tech knew Angelo State wanted out and made a quiet effort to get them in the fold. It happened and they are doing a lot to bolster Angelo State now.

Sam Houston State and Texas State - San Marcos are the least likely to jump systems. Lamar on the other hand, like Angelo State, is probably not in the spot they would like to be within the TSUS. Texas Tech, being interested in "moving up" and getting more $$$ from the state knows that obtaining any institution for them would be huge in their plans. It's not surprising...

It's all about fit.  Texas Tech is a very good scientific research university, as is Lamar.  Lamar has always had a pipeline to Texas Tech's Law School.  Texas Tech and Lamar both have great engineering and business colleges.  Professional schools like Texas Tech undergrads and love Lamar undergrads.

Sam Houston and Texas State concentrate on communication programs and education programs, while their hard science is an afterthought, business secondary, and engineering nonexistent.  If those two schools are dominating the discussion in the TSUS, Lamar has to fight for itself for its flagship programs.  Lamar does a very good job fighting for itself, but if it could get a better fit, it could do better.

Basketball. If this league is so horrible, why has Lamar failed to achieve any success? Okay, blame the conference for holding you back, but with more resources (the nicest arena in the conference and perhaps the deepest pockets for basketball), the football schools (who have less for basketball) seem to be the ones making the NCAAs and NIT while since Lamar returned, it took a surprising run in the SLC tournament to get there. A few of you constantly belittle the SLC, but it's not like Lamar is amounting to much, so you may as well belittle yourselves.

And your surprised the SLC gets bids to the NCAA and NIT? The league had an RPI in the top 20 this year, better than at least 10 or so conferences. We constantly beat up on the SWAC, among a few other conferences. Why do we not deserve a bid when we are better than a growing amount of conferences each year?

Baseball? The Southland should be able to get two teams in this year at the current rate and has do so in baseball before (and softball for that matter) in the last few years. UCA got a nice win over a nationally ranked Ole Miss yesterday, just a few days after being swept by SHSU. Not bad!

Thanks for showing your lack of knowledge -- I haven't seen you on this board before, so good luck in "getting with the game"...and welcome to the "lowly" Southland.

I've been on plenty of boards. First of all, I don't remember a SLC school going to Omaha in baseball. They have been to the regionals like LU, but not Omaha. Basketball back before cars were invinted did decent and that was LU. Golf, that was LU, Football that was MCNeese St for a couple of years. Oh, I know PRISONS, that was Huntsville. Give me a break, I hate to break it to you but I think your not the only one that knows a little about sports on here. If your such an expert, I guess you missed your ESPN calling ;)

Give me a break, I hate to break it to you but I think your not the only one that knows a little about sports on here. If your such an expert, I guess you missed your ESPN calling ;)

ESPN does appear on the resume, made my national radio debut on there... ;)

SHSU has been to the Div I semifinals once and Div I quarterfinals twice in football...we've had our share of success in football, albeit, not as consistent as the Pokes...

Guest abovetherim

Coop, I am being nice. I think it is cool Texas Terror worked for ESPN radio. I wasn't being sarcastic. Obviously, the man has developed a network of people in high profile places and has a wealth of knowledge besides just your average sports junkie.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    heatherjo
    Newest Member
    heatherjo